Mopar Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my non scientific tests, it appeared Purolator gold filters kept my oil color its original color before it started to darken at 5000 miles. The Fram ToughGaurd filter browned at 3500 miles, and since the grips on the Purolator Gold filters are splendid, I went with those from then on

Mopar filters are OEM for Chrysler and dodge, but are a bit over priced for having a regular nitrile ADBV instead of silicone.

These forums are big on purolator pureones, which have silicone ADBV and 99% filtration efficiency. Pureones are also usually cheaper than mopar.

Use Mopar with confidence as it is OEM.

There is nothing wrong with the Mopar filter. I am running one on my Jeep now. I also use PureOne, K and N, Bosch, and Mobil 1 filters. Just depends on what is on special. I usually buy when a good filter is on special and keep a small stock so that I do not have to buy when nothing is on a good special. Guess that is the frugality in me. For example, yesterday I bought Advance auto special of Pennzoil Platinum and K and N filter to save for a future oil change.

Mopar's are very good filters, but Chrysler products will take the Motorcraft "S" series filters which are very similar in construction and specs to the Mopars, as both are made by Purolator. But with the Motorcraft you get a silicon ADBV and they cost even less than the Mopars, so it's a win-win.

Your van is spec'd for the Motorcraft FL-910S, if you have enough clearance and are not under warranty the longer Motorcraft FL-400S will also fit.

+1 on the Mopar filter. Does the job and is readily available at Wally World where I go to find cheap oil. Works great for me.

Originally Posted By: beadvised
Purchased a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3.3 What type of oil filter do you recommend? I purchased a Mopar...

Just remember, the Mopar is generally an inexpensive filter, just held to a minimum quality standard. They can vary a bit as they will change suppliers occasionally.

You are not required to use it, I would say it is just fine for shorter OCI's...

Use the Mopar with confidence, it's a Wix filter and built well. Nitrile ADBV instead of silicone so I'd say it's nearly the same as a NAPA Silver, if not identical. Here's one I cut open after 5000 miles on a Jeep 3.8L. This should be the exact same filter you have.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...966#Post2914966

I do agree there are better values though. At Walmart the Motorcraft FL-400S or FL-910S are $3.99 and have a silicone ADBV, compared to $6.99 for the Mopar that has a nitrile ADBV. Purolator classics are even a little cheaper than the MC, or you could go with a Fram Ultra for only 2 bucks more than the Mopar.

I think he's buying at Walmart, if so he likely got a Purolator version, but Wix or Puro both should be very good filters.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I think he's buying at Walmart, if so he likely got a Purolator version, but Wix or Puro both should be very good filters.

Possible, although that one I cut apart had me curious so I checked the Mopar filters at my local Walmart. They were identical to the one that I cut apart. Definitely the Wix version.

I have an M-090 I bought at Wally's and ended up not needing. I haven't cut it open, but it's definitely a Puro by the oblong inlet holes.

Quote:
I have an M-090 I bought at Wally's and ended up not needing. I haven't cut it open, but it's definitely a Puro by the oblong inlet holes.

I normally use the same Mopar filter in my 97 Ram 1500. I had heard Purolator makes the Mopar filters but never thought much about it. I recently bought a Purolator classic instead of the Mopar branded filter and sure enough they are identical in every way, shape and form. Even right down to the placement and font of the numbers stamped into the top of them (same numbers too). I went ahead and cut them open and they were exactly the same. So much so that if you mixed up the various parts, I couldn't tell you which came out of which.

Oh wait, there was one difference. The Mopar branded filter was $6.99. The Purolator Classic was $3.69. I think I'll stick with the Purolators from now on.

Kind of odd, but maybe the MO-090 is a Purolator and the MO-409 is a Wix.
21.gif

Not odd at all as mfgrs constantly change suppliers. Expect the lowest bidder to get the contract, and it's a big one so all of them want it.

The mfgr of the filter can change and MOPAR will not tell you.

Buy from the real source, save moolah, and get comparable or better quality...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back