Old S10, I could still walk on it but I dont wanna

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am eyeing up the 1993 S10. I know some are saying to run and run fast, but this truck has some things that appeal to me. Seller told me it has 31" tires.

The Good: 31" tires, leather, it is a Tahoe LT the seller told me it was, supposedly has new parts including radiator and a Borla exhaust so it should sound throaty

The Bad: Clicking at speed could be CV joints, how bad is that ?

The Ugly: Based on what he told me including and I quote he said, "it has overheated many times and runs OK now" it may or may not have gasketing/head gasket issues. He said it holds to about the center of the digital gauge now.

$800. The Fiesta I passed on was $500 and i decided not to get that one. This Chevy looks like it could be fun. 4.3L

Let's talk about this.

Originally Posted By: dja4260
Lets pass, unless you're inclined to do some major top end motor work.

Over heated multiple times???? Typically once is enough.

Would be my first head job you know..

I am torn about this one.

Tempted to bite the bullet and see what it wants to do..

If you have limited funds and your goal is reliable transportation I would choose something simple and easy to work on. To me that says front wheel drive and a 4 cyl. All said and done the repairs on this will be more than 800 bucks if it has head gasket or other issues caused by the overheat.

Gah, shoot i almost forgot.. it is the S-10 its 4x4 what transmission is this, shallow or deep pan, etc

Has push-button 4WD

Quote:
If you have limited funds and your goal is reliable transportation I would choose something simple and easy to work on. To me that says front wheel drive and a 4 cyl. All said and done the repairs on this will be more than 800 bucks if it has head gasket or other issues caused by the overheat.

I agree with you

I know the signs to look for is milky mustard under cap, and at the oil itself.

At that price I say buy it. If it ends up needing heads r&r its no big deal.
You could always drop a 350 in it!

'93 is probably a 4L60, possibly 4L60E. The 4.3 V6 is one of the tougher engines around-if the cooling system doesn't build pressure quickly when cold, and isn't smoking out the exhaust you've got a chance it'll be OK.

Originally Posted By: P20565R16
I know the signs to look for is milky mustard under cap, and at the oil itself.

Check the coolant for little copper or aluminum "bits" to seal the head, radiator, heater core, etc....

How much would a rebuilt motor run you??? $2,000?

Are the tires worth $2,800?

The 4.3 isn't bad work on.

You should check out the push button 4x4; they rarely work right and cost a fortune to fix.

Originally Posted By: Gabe
The 4.3 isn't bad work on.

You should check out the push button 4x4; they rarely work right and cost a fortune to fix.

I was actually going to engage it in my test drive.. If i recall, that particular 4WD was suppose dot be engaged ONLY in the rain or the snow or else it woul dliterally blow up, please correct me if I am wrong ? I remember a tale of someone who "left it in 4-Hi all the time." Needed a trans rebuild that week.....

And electrolover I agree, if i remember right this was like a 350 with two cylindrs chopped off right?

I remember about that transmission, someone told me that you only engage 4-Hi when it is raining or snowing or when the wheels would otherwise slip, or else you WILL ruin it. True or false

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Find a gravel parking lot and try out the 4x4.

Guy has a large patch of land with mud and grass, will that work ? It's by a barn

Also I just remembered, wasn't this 1993 4.3 VIN "W" and said Vortec on it, but it wasn't?

These mysteries about what is probably a 4L60 (push button 4WD, Tahoe LT trim on the 93 S-10 Blazer) and the engine would say much

I get to look at it in a few hours, 4WD will be tested
laugh.gif
. Basically, I am looking for if the 4WD works or not, yes?

And it was asked:

Quote:
Are the tires worth $2,800?

No they are not, however consider this: this particular one has AR-157 wheels from American Racing on it and I had that on my first car and you can NOT find them anymore.. and that makes them priceless.

He told me the front two tires are almost bald. That don't scare me. They are tires.

Originally Posted By: P20565R16
He told me the front two tires are almost bald. That don't scare me. They are tires.

Bald front tires can also be a sign of worn or broken steering/suspension components.

To check the CV joints, you should drive in a tight figure 8. If you feel something binding, it will probably need a new half shaft.

Check the coolant level too.

All this time I am reading, I was thinking it was an S-10 pickup, not an S-10 Blazer.

true. you should not run it very far in 4WD unleses you are on dirt, rain, snow. its a "part time" 4wd system as opposed to "full time". the full time systems typically have a differential built into the transfer case - although there are so many variations on newer trucks. when you test it, you are really trying to see if the 4WD engages. you will toast the transfer case, not the transmission, by running it on dry pavement. the transmission does not care. and it wont happen in just a few feet. nice picture. and yes, the 4.3 is literally a 350 with 2 cylinders chopped off.

Last edited:
assumed it was a pickup too. $800 is a fair deal if the engine is in good shape. the "overheating" could be anything from a finnicky thermostat or bubble in the system to yes a blown head gasket. if this is a toy to play with sure go for it. otherwise as a daily driver huge pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back