PU Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there more information about the availability of PU stock, or lack there of?

Seems a number of Walmarts are putting it on close out. I like this oil and would like to continue using it.

Is it worth it to stock up on 5qt jugs now or just see what comes out in it's place and run that? With the variety of Walmarts I have around me, I'm sure I could stock up 100,000 miles or more of oil changes relatively easy.

PU was recently reformulated, so it'd be crazy if it now got discontinued, alas stranger things have happened in the past. It's really difficult to understand what SOPUS is doing sometimes.

With that said, I'm not into stocking up on anything. There will always be newer/better oils out there that one would want to try. And stuff goes on sale very often, so again, if you miss a sale now, there will be some other sale later.

Oil hoarding is a BITOG disease.
smile.gif

Since Platinum and QSUD are so similar, if not the same oil, Sopus would be smart to put Ultra in the Platinum jugs and discontinue the Ultra. Let QSUD be the midgrade synthetic, and Formula Shell be an entry level synthetic.

I am still kicking myself for not stock piling M1 Truck & SUV.

If you really like the stuff, then you should pick up a couple of extra jugs. I believe that AZ also carries PU.

I think Walmart is cutting it from some markets. There is only one store even near my house that still carries it, according to the Walmart website. I am thinking about making the drive...

I agree with Pete.

IMO, if PU is phased out, then something else by Pennzoil will take its place. Otherwise Pennzoil will not have an oil for its 15 year, 500k miles warranty.

If I remember correctly, Pennzoil had a new SL synthetic which was short lived and replaced by PP.

I only stock up on oil for one upcoming oil change. I think that is a good policy.

PU is one of the most expensive oils on the market. How good will it sell in Walmart, where people go for cheap stuff? Not so good I imagine. I think thats all there is to it.

I guess I should state my oil choice is limited to what WalMart carries. I am not willing to pay $8+/qt that most of the auto parts stores charge.

I think my main issue is consistency across service life of our van. My goal is to run this van until it is gone (with as much as the thing cost, I want every cent of use out of it) and with that goal keeping as many things consistent as possible, IE same oil for it's whole life. I really don't know if that makes a huge difference or if it is more important to just keep a decent oil in it that will accommodate the change intervals I'm targeting.

Looks like its goin away. Thats fine we made it without it before. There are plenty of other oils out there. I'm about to switch to QSUD for good and if that goes away it will be TropArtic

I said originally on this site that the way SOPUS advertised PU was not going to work. The mantra of "cleaner piston skirts" they used .....well, how many engines using other oils ever failed because of dirty piston skirts. And then the high price coupled with that. Seems that the marketing folks there just did not understand their customer base. Mobil 1 does well with the EP.. the competitor for PU. There is a nice little grapic on the container showing Mobils version of the differences between the oils. Easy for a customer at Wal Mart to pick up and see something that is easy to understand.

I think PU is a great oil that languishes because of the way SOPUS has played it in the marketplace.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
PU was recently reformulated, so it'd be crazy if it now got discontinued, alas stranger things have happened in the past. It's really difficult to understand what SOPUS is doing sometimes.

With that said, I'm not into stocking up on anything. There will always be newer/better oils out there that one would want to try. And stuff goes on sale very often, so again, if you miss a sale now, there will be some other sale later.

smile.gif

How recent was the reformulation? Could WM be clearing out their stock of old formulation PU to make way for the new? I haven't seen PU at the one WM near me I have visited since joining BITOG (I was completely clueless about automotive lubrication prior and ran one burner vehicle dry - oops!), but there is another on the way to the office and I my swing by on my way in later today.

While possible, I would think it is doubtful unless SOPUS is directing it to be done and providing incentives to do so.

Walmart doesn't care what's in the bottle as long as it sells.

Originally Posted By: InhalingBullets
My local Wm now has Ultra 5qt jugs for $21, and PP 5qt jugs for $22.47. That is funky!

Heh, that`s Bass Ackwards....
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: InhalingBullets
My local Wm now has Ultra 5qt jugs for $21, and PP 5qt jugs for $22.47. That is funky!

Maybe SOPUS got the memo...deal or be dealt...

The clearance price of $21 for a 5 quart jug is quite a deal!
So is the $5 a quart clearance price for PU. IMO....This PU oil, coupled with the $10, 5 quart rebate, makes it astounding.

For $4.20 a quart, before sales tax, at WM is a true gift from WM/SOPUS.

The $10 rebate on 2 jugs max, makes it really sweet at $2.20 a quart before sales tax.

If you find the PU in Jugs or quart bottles and like it.....load up while you can.

With WM no longer selling PU, customers will be left with the only option available...... purchasing it a Auto Parts stores that carry it in inventory or on Amazon.

The last time that I looked at the Auto Parts store price it was $36+ for a 5+ quart Jug and close to $9++ for a quart of PU.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

smile.gif

For about 8-10 years I stocked various synthetic brands for less than $2/qt, dino for less than $0.50/qt, some of the oil was FAR and some were less than $0 (I pocketed some coins with double rebates). Yes, most of the oil were SL or SM but all my cars needs SL or older.

I don't mind hoarding synthetic GF3/SL if it's less than $1/qt.

I am confused. Are people thinking SOPUS has discontinued Ultra just because Wally's is clearing it out, or for some other reason?

Wally's is only going to keep big movers for the most part. Pennzoil Platinum was probably the worst thing for Ultra at Wally's. Plenty of oils that have been long gone from Wally's for years are still around, like Valvoline Durablend or Castrol Synblend for example.

I'm not convinced the sky is falling on Ultra yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back