When to use an oil additive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Me, too. Not offended, though, because among all the PM's in my box was one in particular that explained the story on this foXs character.

This place is always good for a chuckle.

Steve, in keeping with much on this site, off target speculation from a few with poor analytical skills ends up becoming some sort of truth amongst several who are easily persuaded / want to belong to a clique.

But I'm not going to spend much effort beyond the above statement as I wouldn't want to deprive you and your PM friends from your communal bubble, and realistically I have zero chance of popping that bubble.

Originally Posted By: FoxS
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Me, too. Not offended, though, because among all the PM's in my box was one in particular that explained the story on this foXs character.

This place is always good for a chuckle.

Steve, in keeping with much on this site, off target speculation from a few with poor analytical skills ends up becoming some sort of truth amongst several who are easily persuaded / want to belong to a clique.

But I'm not going to spend much effort beyond the above statement as I wouldn't want to deprive you and your PM friends from your communal bubble, and realistically I have zero chance of popping that bubble.

This special PM group must be the one I started but did not join, "ADDAHOLICS ANNON."

Another special group is 'Old Chaps for Hire,' the group of guys who specialize in testing oil additives in 30 weight oil. They test just one additive at a time.

This is difficult testing because in modern engines straight 30 weight oil with no additives is kind of rough on the engines. The engines have a tendency during testing to get kind of sludgy but no engine cleaners are allowed. And to save money the oil companies require that the old chaps use their own vehicles. Needless to say they replace a lot of engines (at their own cost). But this low cost testing does enable the oil companies to test additives very cheaply and in these difficult economic times that is important.

Three cheers for the old chaps!

Skyship that chap you know who tests oil additives one at a time for Castrol in 30 weight oil needs your appreciation! Do you know how hard it is today to find 30 weight SA rated oil with no oil additives and that does not meet the requirements for any modern automotive engine? SA rated oil should not even be used in a lawnmower. They use at least SB rated oil even in lawnmowers!

You should thank that chap Skyship! It is because of people like that that we have the modern motor oils we use today. You should ride with him.

Until you came alone Skyship I did not even know how they test additives for new motor oils. Now I know they find a chap who is willing to use a 30 weight oil with no additives and then they add just one additive at a time. I never knew all of this! Thanks to your close connections to the chaps who develop new motor oils we now have a new window into the testing for new motor oils.

We were lost at this website until you came along Skyship.

So now we have a gold dust additive.
As the world turns skunkship keeps coming up with whoppers.
So now he is a bus driver trying a new additive for trannies,moving up from driving the oil recycling truck.
Promotions are nice eh

I don't know if that is much of a promotion-going from driving the oil recycling truck to a bus. Maybe one of these days Skyship will no longer be a spectator and the chaps who develop motor oil will allow Skyship to handle the chemistry. Can you imagine what our motor oils will be like then? For sure, no moly and no oil supplements or engine cleaners allowed! Well, maybe some idle only engine flush when the engine is really old.

Think what Skyship has brought to this website. The tale of the runaway turbo car. The revelation that SeaFoam is salt water! Additives being tested one by one in 30 weight motor oil that otherwise has no additives. Gold dust as an additive in motor oils. Moly being banned from high tech new synthetic motor oils-that Skyship knows about this because of his close connections to the chaps that develop those motor oils.

And the many talents of Skyship-investigator for insurance and warranty claims; engineer; observor in the testing of new motor oils and transmission fluids. I don't know where he finds the time for all of this. His close connections to the people who develop new motor oils is itself invaluable.

Who wants to test Skyship's gold dust motor oil? Of course we would have to find a source of very fine gold dust. It also seems to me that gold dust in motor oil could kind of be considered an oil supplement and Skyship is against oil supplements. But he brought up the gold dust oil and said that NASA was using a gold dust oil.

What if this proved to be the discovery of the decade?

You guys are seriously obsessed with skyship.

He does use 1 additive though. Teflon. On himself.

Anything you say, it does nothing to him. I think you guys are his enjoyment, maybe his revenge. After all, he's hardly got the most glamorous life out in Germany and they are likely not kind to a Brit out to deny their warranty claims.

In the course of his daily job, he probably puts up with a lot from people who he feels know far less then him. I think he's taking it out on y'all and winding you up on purpose. Judging by the constant repetition that you guys engage in and which he then engages in, I would say he's succeeded and laughing at you every morning and night that he checks in on your latest protests.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
Skyship that chap you know who tests oil additives one at a time for Castrol in 30 weight oil needs your appreciation! Do you know how hard it is today to find 30 weight SA rated oil with no oil additives and that does not meet the requirements for any modern automotive engine? SA rated oil should not even be used in a lawnmower. They use at least SB rated oil even in lawnmowers!

You should thank that chap Skyship! It is because of people like that that we have the modern motor oils we use today. You should ride with him.

Until you came alone Skyship I did not even know how they test additives for new motor oils. Now I know they find a chap who is willing to use a 30 weight oil with no additives and then they add just one additive at a time. I never knew all of this! Thanks to your close connections to the chaps who develop new motor oils we now have a new window into the testing for new motor oils.

We were lost at this website until you came along Skyship.

Oh, no.... He's gonna think you were serious.

No, I am not really obsessed with Skyship. I thought for a while putting him on ignore but there are two other people here I have on ignore. Skyship's posts are fun. He comes up with incredible stuff-runaway turbo cars, gold dust motor oil, saltwater Seafoam, and motor oil additives tested one at a time in straight 30 weight motor oil that has no additives.

And he provides the counter argument that oil supplements and engine cleaners should not be used. Now I don't think Skyship is the best advocate for that task, but there really does need to be a counter argument. You have to have two sides for a discussion or a debate and I am in the middle myself-I can see good points on both sides.

This is the most fun I have had here since the Synlube guy (guys) showed up. And look at this posting-it sure has encouraged discussion and debate. Frankly I consider the Synlube guy to have been boring compared to Skyship. You never can tell what Skyship will come up with next.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
No, I am not really obsessed with Skyship. I thought for a while putting him on ignore but there are two other people here I have on ignore. Skyship's posts are fun. He comes up with incredible stuff-runaway turbo cars, gold dust motor oil, saltwater Seafoam, and motor oil additives tested one at a time in straight 30 weight motor oil that has no additives.

And he provides the counter argument that oil supplements and engine cleaners should not be used. Now I don't think Skyship is the best advocate for that task, but there really does need to be a counter argument. You have to have two sides for a discussion or a debate and I am in the middle myself-I can see good points on both sides.

This is the most fun I have had here since the Synlube guy (guys) showed up. And look at this posting-it sure has encouraged discussion and debate. Frankly I consider the Synlube guy to have been boring compared to Skyship. You never can tell what Skyship will come up with next.

He is entertaining to say the least. Like a clown for sure. He keeps me in stitches daily.
I've got him on ignore but I gotta toggle his posts to read the new absurdity of the day.

I can't believe the stuff that Skyship comes up with KeMBro2012. If I was making up a story completely I would have a hard time coming up with all of the stuff that Skyship has brought up. Just think of all of the stuff-the runaway turbo car, gold dust motor oil, testing of additives in additive free 30 weight motor oil, Seafoam called salt water, and on and on. I don't think I would include that kind of stuff in a completely made up story.

You will be reading one of Skyship's posts and suddenly he brings up gold dust motor oil. It is jarring! Or that he is a guest on a bus where new transmission fluids are being tested.

And actually it has encouraged discussion.

I have never had anybody on ignore on this board and never intend to. If I don't agree with something a person has posted, I make sure they know it. Not that I'm always right either, and I sure like to be called on something if I'm off-base too.

I have two people on ignore. One guy who seems to like to attack me and who repeatedly says he can't understand my posts. I got tired of hearing just that alone-my posts are not that profound and they are in English. Somebody who claims to be a scientist should be able to understand my posts.

The other guy likes to attack also; not just me but others as well.

But Skyship's posts are sort of fun. You keep waiting for the next incredible statement. Just when you think he can't top what he has already said, along comes some sort of incredible stuff like gold dust motor oil. I sort of like it.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I have never had anybody on ignore on this board and never intend to. If I don't agree with something a person has posted, I make sure they know it. Not that I'm always right either, and I sure like to be called on something if I'm off-base too.

I'm the same way. I'll speak my mind and if someone wants to take me to task on something I say, more power to them. But, I do expect that if someone is going to tell me I'm wrong, they fully address my arguments, either agreeing with or countering (with evidence) each point. When someone comes back with "I already answered that" and an accusation that I'm not reading their posts, it really puts me in a position where I'd rather they weren't around, especially when I clearly *am* reading in order to know what counterpoints to make and questions to ask.

People like that typically find their way on to my ignore list. Somehow, Skyship isn't there quite yet.

If you want to test additives over a short period you can buy a W80 (SAE 40) straight aviation oil that has zero additives:
Single-Grade Oil
Straight mineral oil such as Aeroshell 80 is a petroleum-base oil without the usual cleansing agents or additive package. It is commonly used as break-in oil for new steel or chrome cylinders. Its "claim to fame" is that it isn't particularly good at either lubricating or cleansing! The resulting high levels of friction may speed up the break-in process, but this oil isn't approved for long-term use in your engine. If you use this stuff for break-in, you should plan to drain it within 10-25 hours (the sooner the better) and replace it with a high-quality ashless dispersant (AD) oil.

During testing they change the oil every day and it makes the oil analysis easier if there is some engine wear to look at, otherwise the numbers are too low. Aircraft piston engines have wide tollerances and so don't require much in the way of additives, although they do need some detergents and dispersants for longer runs. Oddly enough most car engines will run on a straight oil if you pre heat them, but the lack of detergents would cause sludge if you used aircraft break in oil.
I think the ZF bus will be on their web site and it is testing a new auto transmission and final fluid selection at the same time. The BMW cars are just used for oil testing only on some track in the UK, but use normal autobahns in Germany.
Just remember Gold dust is the way ahead for anti wear additives!!

Originally Posted By: skyship
If you want to test additives over a short period you can buy a W80 (SAE 40) straight aviation oil that has zero additives:
Single-Grade Oil
Straight mineral oil such as Aeroshell 80 is a petroleum-base oil without the usual cleansing agents or additive package. It is commonly used as break-in oil for new steel or chrome cylinders. Its "claim to fame" is that it isn't particularly good at either lubricating or cleansing! The resulting high levels of friction may speed up the break-in process, but this oil isn't approved for long-term use in your engine. If you use this stuff for break-in, you should plan to drain it within 10-25 hours (the sooner the better) and replace it with a high-quality ashless dispersant (AD) oil.

During testing they change the oil every day and it makes the oil analysis easier if there is some engine wear to look at, otherwise the numbers are too low. Aircraft piston engines have wide tollerances and so don't require much in the way of additives, although they do need some detergents and dispersants for longer runs. Oddly enough most car engines will run on a straight oil if you pre heat them, but the lack of detergents would cause sludge if you used aircraft break in oil.
I think the ZF bus will be on their web site and it is testing a new auto transmission and final fluid selection at the same time. The BMW cars are just used for oil testing only on some track in the UK, but use normal autobahns in Germany.
Just remember Gold dust is the way ahead for anti wear additives!!

Now this is some good info (save for the gold dust). I'd love to see more like this.

BINGO!!! I've finally got a positive ID on the snake oil I have been trying to find for almost a year. The stupid thing is that it was one of the first I looked at, but I only looked at their fuel additive page and crossed it off the list because I was only looking for a drive around type solvent flush.
I had hoped the owner of the van who had the turbo seal fail which led to a crash would have come out of the woodwork and help me ID the product, as all I had was a chemical oil analysis that had to be repeated at my expense to give me more information on the solvents used.
The lack of co-operation from the muppet that put the snake oil in a car with a turbo that was already leaking against the advice of the dealership, made the job of getting a legal ID near impossible with over a hundred snake oils available on Fleabay, I ruled out the common ones fairly quickly but was still left with a long list, right until very recently when out of the blue I strike Gold with an employee of a snake oil company advertising their product as an oil additive and reminding me I had to look at the contents.
I did try to provoke the user into the open hoping he would mention his favourite snake oil by posting less than positive comments about Mobil 1, although they were all true as regards M1 0/40. He uses that oil but failed to respond.
This snake hunt has been fairly tedious work, but I finally got the result back today that confirms AXA insurance have accepted the documents as proof of the additive used to dissolve the varnish holding a split turbo seal in place and leading to the diesel runaway. There never has been a previous turbo seal failure of the same type for the turbo involved before and the inspectors report is very conclusive, as was the one from the company I am contracting for.
This means I am leaving this forum for good and will not reply to further posts, so the addaholics and snake oil salesmen will be dancing in the streets tonight. I will still be reading the UOA and VOA sections out of interest and I hope D.Newton keeps up his good work of trying to get folks to extend their OCI's or stop wasting money on full synthetics.
Just remember the engine oil company experts know far more about add pack balance and the engine manufacturers also know more than anyone in this forum about engine oil and that is why they say don't use oil additives.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyship
This means I am leaving this forum for good and will not reply to further posts

Don't let the door hit you in the behind on the way out.
banana2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back