Mobil 1 0W40 is no longer approved for Nissan GT-R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overkill may be right, but the manuals say "Mobil 1 (0W-40) (100% synthetic) is the factory fill oil. The VR38 engine with its plasma-sprayed bores was developed using this oil. NISSAN cannot ensure proper engine operation and durability if other 0W-40 synthetic oil is used." (2013 manual, p.GTR 20)

I read this to say " We developed it using M1 and we haven't taken the time to test other stuff. We are worried that other stuff may not work as well."

If there is a definitive spec, this comment does not make me confident that the authors of the manual are aware of it.

Originally Posted By: GMorg
Overkill may be right, but the manuals say "Mobil 1 (0W-40) (100% synthetic) is the factory fill oil. The VR38 engine with its plasma-sprayed bores was developed using this oil. NISSAN cannot ensure proper engine operation and durability if other 0W-40 synthetic oil is used." (2013 manual, p.GTR 20)

I read this to say " We developed it using M1 and we haven't taken the time to test other stuff. We are worried that other stuff may not work as well."

If there is a definitive spec, this comment does not make me confident that the authors of the manual are aware of it.

I imagine the situation is very similar to Honda's with the RDX and the HTO-06 spec. It was developed hand-in-hand with Mobil, and for quite a while, M1 5w-30 was the only oil that met it. Honda recommended you use that oil.

However, eventually other oils were able to obtain the approval as well.

This is somewhat similar to BMW recommending Castrol because they work hand-in-hand with them on engine development, and Mercedes doing to the same for Mobil.

Often times the lubricant maker with the OEM relationship is the only lubricant to meet the performance criteria for quite some time and the wording in the manual would have you believe that they are the only acceptable choice.

I don't think the GTR uses any liners but according to this the Coyote does.

Quote:
5.0 Tech Specs
5.0 4V TiVCT V-8

First Model Year 2011
Engine Family Modular
Code Name Coyote
Displacement 4957cc (302 ci)
Bore x Stroke 92.2 x 92.8mm (3.263 x 3.647 inch)
Horsepower

412 hp @ 6,500 rpm, 91 octane
402 hp @ 6,500 rpm, 87 octane
Torque
390 lb-ft @ 4,250 rpm, 91 octane
377 lb-ft @ 4,250 rpm, 87 octane
Shipping Weight 430 pounds, includes water pump
Block Low-pressure cast 319 aluminum, pressed-in thin-wall iron liners Bore Spacing 100mm (3.937-inch)
Deck Height 227mm (8.937-inch)
Deck Thickness 13mm (0.510-inch)

Originally Posted By: Ayrton
I think that is a pretty huge approval for Mobil 1 0w40 in the GT-R. I've never seen a manufacturer so strict on a recommendation from my recollection.

Chrysler spec'd M1 0W-40 for years in SRT vehicles. It's on the cap for those who can't read manuals!

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Often times the lubricant maker with the OEM relationship is the only lubricant to meet the performance criteria for quite some time and the wording in the manual would have you believe that they are the only acceptable choice.

There it is. Perfect!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

There it is. Perfect!

Just to correct one point in previous posts, the car manufacturers approve one particular oil initially as the OEM official oil for a particular engine and the contract often means that oil company must agree to provide the OEM oil to the manufacturer and dealers for a long time. It does not always mean a different engine produced by the same car manufacturer will use oil from the same oil company that won the last contract. So you can have a vehicle manufacturer that uses several different oil companies to provide OEM oils and fluids. Each contract has an expiry date, but they tend to be fairly long as far as I am aware from the situation in the EU, but are probably shorter in the US due to the larger number of different oil companies.
Some vehicle manufacturers only approve their OEM oil outside the US and do not offer other approvals. The engine oil companies just recommend their own products, unless they want to pay the vehicle manufacturers testing and approval fees, as far as I am aware. The laws in the US are slightly different as regards approvals of other companies products and result in a greater choice of fully approved oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyship

There it is. Perfect!

Just to correct one point in previous posts, the car manufacturers approve one particular oil initially as the OEM official oil for a particular engine and the contract often means that oil company must agree to provide the OEM oil to the manufacturer and dealers for a long time. It does not always mean a different engine produced by the same car manufacturer will use oil from the same oil company that won the last contract. So you can have a vehicle manufacturer that uses several different oil companies to provide OEM oils and fluids. Each contract has an expiry date, but they tend to be fairly long as far as I am aware from the situation in the EU, but are probably shorter in the US due to the larger number of different oil companies.
Some vehicle manufacturers only approve their OEM oil outside the US and do not offer other approvals. The engine oil companies just recommend their own products, unless they want to pay the vehicle manufacturers testing and approval fees, as far as I am aware. The laws in the US are slightly different as regards approvals of other companies products and result in a greater choice of fully approved oils.

I don't see you correcting anything about my post
21.gif

There it is. Perfect!

I don't see you correcting anything about my post
21.gif

I didn't correct anything in your post, I just clicked on it as the last in the series from several chaps.

I didn't correct anything in your post, I just clicked on it as the last in the series from several chaps.

Right, but then why was your opening line "Just to correct one point in previous posts" ?

BMW may recommend Castrol in their engines but they require Castrol on just a few engines.

Applications requiring Castrol TWS 10W-60 are a case in point.

In this instance, BMW must supply the oil for changes and top off.

It's easy for BMW since they provide free maintenance for the 4 year, 50,000 mile warranty period.

Does Nissan do this also since there is no "or equal" oil for the GT-R?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back