Could a car run entirely on fuel injector cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, fuel injector cleaner is basically a petroleum distilliate...just like gasoline.

but yeah...your engine components wont last long that way.

Yes. That's what happens when they hook up those bottles of cleaner. It runs on just that, to clean the injectors. Fuel system is unhooked and disabled.

quote:

Originally posted by daemonite:
but yeah...your engine components wont last long that way.

What component wouldn't last and why?

Like 55, I'd never do it, I'm just curious. I wonder how well the engine would run and what kind of mileage/performance you'd get?

Why, you have a drag car and race fuel isn't cutting it for your 20:1 compression??

I dunno, get the chemical formula for a typical injector cleaner, then lets find ourselves a chemist. We can calculate the energy it would produce by weight and volume.

I believe most are mainly kerosene, so it would probably run, just not that well.

-T

Do not run your car on straight FI cleaner.

Most injector cleaning machines, that tap into the fuel system, are designed to be a fuel and cleaner . They'll have gasoline or similar fuel(benzene/zylene/toluene...) and various alcohols besides the distillates and cleaning solutions.

Seafoam, for example, recommends a 50:50 mix of Seafoam/gasoline when used in FI cleaning machines.

A gasoline engine will not run on straight kerosene. It'll ping itself to death or just flood out if the fuel doesn't fire. Small carb'd motors will still have gasoline in the fuel lines/bowl.... and will run a little if kero is added.

the HM10 on my 5kw genset had a gummed up carb. I kept it running for several minutes by giving it a shot of Gumout every time the revs started dropping.

quote:

Originally posted by andyd:
small engines will run on carb cleaner or MMO

They'll also run on Cox model airplane fuel and BBQ lighter fluid.

Don't ask how I know, okay?
wink.gif

quote:

I believe most are mainly kerosene, so it would probably run, just not that well.

Kero is pretty much used as a carrying agent for the small amount (much greater % then in gasoline) of actual cleaner. They need something to allow you to add it. It would be hard to charge you $5.99 for a 1 oz bottle of fi cleaner.

quote:

Originally posted by 55:
I ran a 6 hp lawnmower on kerosene one time, but only for 20 seconds or so.

Hehehee.. They run like a champ on coleman lantern fluid as well! Had to get that lawn doen somehow
grin.gif
Smelled just like I was campin'.
G/luck
Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back