Thoughts on LIQUI MOLY 10w60?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Caterham just taught me its the VI of the oil that is important for cold start ups under normal conditions (above freezing).
Been contemplating mixing Motul 300v oils but sometimes availability is not consistent.

I see LIQUI MOLY 10w60 here is on the market (albeit at a high price) but it appears to have avery good VI and viscosity.

What HTHS does it have and any idea of the zddp and what group its in?
Is it a POA/ester?

Synthoil Race Tech GT1
SAE 10W-60
DESCRIPTION
Synthoil Race Tech GT1 SAE 10W-60 is a modern, ful
ly synthetic, high-performance
engine oil formulated for use in four-stroke engine
s under extreme load. The
combination of synthetic base oils and modern addit
ive technology satisfies the
requirements of the latest engine designs.
PROPERTIES
- optimum lubrication under extreme conditions
-
very high lubrication and ageing stability
-
extremely low oil consumption and evaporation loss
-
outstanding engine cleanliness
-
rapid oil delivery at low temperatures
-
miscible and compatible with commercially-availabl
e engine oils.
-
tried and tested with exhaust catalytic converters
Specifications / Approvals:
API SL/CF
TECHNICAL
DATA
Basis : Synthetic oil/additives
Viscosity class : 10W-60
ASTM colour : 3.5
Density at 15 °C : 0.86 g/cm³
Viscosity at 40 °C : 163 mm²/s
Viscosity at 100 °C : 24 mm²/s
Viscosity index : 179

Flash point : 238 °C
Pour point : -35 °C
Evaporation loss : 6.9 %

Last edited:
If you send an e mail to the Liqui Moly web site contact address they will give you the Zinc content and base type as I have asked for them before for the Synthoil High Tech 5/40 I used in my Volvo TDI. The Zinc content will almost certainly be the max permitted for the SL/CF category if it is restricted.
In general 10/60 oils shear to a lower grade due to the 50 point spread requiring more VI additives, but LM will be using a fair amount of detergents so it will last a while in TBN terms.
This oil is listed as fully synthetic on the German site, so it's a G4 as far as I am aware, not an HC synthetic.
I think most oils cause additional cold start wear within about 20C of the pour point, so minus 15C is a reasonable min regular use temp, not the minus 35C figure, although it's a tad warmer than that in Uraguay.
Cold start wear factors are interesting as once you get above about minus 15C it makes no difference if you use a 0W or a 10W, BUT what will help is good AW & EP additives as part of the oils own add pack. Zinc is probably the most important as a lot of cold start wear is corrosion related.

Last edited:
My fathers friend runs it in his 03 Eclipse. No ill effects so far, but I'm sure he lost some mpg compared to 5w-30. He swears that it is very robust oil.
P.S. he was a service manager @ Mitsubishi dealer in Europe, and says that this oil was widely used in offroad rally turbo SUVs.

Originally Posted By: MBS500
My fathers friend runs it in his 03 Eclipse. No ill effects so far, but I'm sure he lost some mpg compared to 5w-30. He swears that it is very robust oil.
P.S. he was a service manager @ Mitsubishi dealer in Europe, and says that this oil was widely used in offroad rally turbo SUVs.

It's probably good for reducing oil consumption and hot rattles as well as racing. Off roading is a real oil killer in Silicon contamination terms if your air filter is not real good. The folks in the Mid East and down under don't do long OCI's in the desert, unless they have long air intake pipes like the 18 wheelers.

Well Liqui Moly in Uruguay obviously have no idea what they are talking about.

They just informed me that their 10w60 has an HTHS of 3.6!!!

Think they got their spec sheets mixed up with their 5w30 or something similar.

Strange

HTHS of 3.5 for a 10w60??
I'm a misinterpreting the indexes?
Also Moly Uruguay stated the same.

Quote:
The HTHS viscosity is here = or > 3,5 mPas and the components:

Zn: 970-1150 ppm
p: 900-1060 ppm

We hope we could help you with our informations. Should you have further questions regarding our products we would be very pleased to get contacted from you again.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Best Regards

i. A.

Stephan Weissinger
Anwendungstechniker
application engineer

Phone: +49 (0)731 / 14 20 - 623
Fax: +49 (0)731 / 14 20 - 44623

LIQUI MOLY GMBH
F & E / Anwendungstechnik
Jerg-Wieland-Straße 4
D-89081 Ulm

Liqui-moly is a great company. I use many of their products and will use them again. Although that hths number is strange for a 10w-60.
Maybe Caterham can shed some light since he has a ton of info on most every oil on earth

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Fuchs also makes a 10w-60 BTW.

sorry we only have Castrol and Liqui Moly here who sell the 10w60 grades.

Motul too but only the 20w60 which was a tad thick with an HTHS of 7+
Came out like syrup when it was cold in winter!

(and cannot import oil)

Motul makes a 10w-60 but its a bike oil. You could supplement with moly if you really had to although an oil that costly I wouldn't use any additives.
Can you find motul where you are

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Motul makes a 10w-60 but its a bike oil. You could supplement with moly if you really had to although an oil that costly I wouldn't use any additives.
Can you find motul where you are

yes we've had discussions on the Motul front thanks. 15w50 300v or 20w60.
15w50 has a low VI and 20w60 is very thick.

Want to know more about this low HTHS.

Originally Posted By: Brit33
Strange

HTHS of 3.5 for a 10w60??
I'm a misinterpreting the indexes?
Also Moly Uruguay stated the same.

Quote:
The HTHS viscosity is here = or > 3,5 mPas and the components:

Zn: 970-1150 ppm
p: 900-1060 ppm

We hope we could help you with our informations. Should you have further questions regarding our products we would be very pleased to get contacted from you again.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Best Regards

i. A.

Stephan Weissinger
Anwendungstechniker
application engineer

Phone: +49 (0)731 / 14 20 - 623
Fax: +49 (0)731 / 14 20 - 44623

LIQUI MOLY GMBH
F & E / Anwendungstechnik
Jerg-Wieland-Straße 4
D-89081 Ulm

Hope you find a moment Caterham to shed some light on this misleading/confusing low HTHS level of 20160 Liqui Moly.

I thought I learnt on this forum that the higher HTHS levels indicated a thicker oil but a 10w60 (24Cst - very thick) with HTHS of 3.5??

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back