big problem with corollas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jrustles
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Is he talking about a digital or analogue odo? If it's analogue, I'm guessing Toyota only makes the hundreds of thousands of miles wheel go to 2. Maybe it makes the whole assembly cheaper and/or more reliable?

Also, does it just stop dead at 299,999, or does it roll over to 0? If it rolls over, no big deal! There will be a record of the mileage, so you just take the current odor reading and add 300,000.

Digital. It just stops at 299,999 and does not go any further.

lol.gif
While not critical, this is a really stupid problem to have IMO.

I would have kept my $300.

It will make the car fail inspection in some places...including here.

Originally Posted By: VNTS
no I am not, most of them become money pits and in my area they are rot buckets, you just dont see people beating down the path to buy 15 yr old car with that many miles, there is no market for them. The economics do not work, have one minor repair is worth more than the car and a car 270K miles is a tciking time bomb, if what you said was true used car lots would be full of high mileage cars. I go to the local junk (scraps 4500 cars a year)every other weekend, my freind works there, very few cars come in with greater than 200K and all that do come in with 150K or more are junk! anything with 200K is a rot bucket.

If I covered the odometer, you would never dream that my Jeep has 196,000 miles...runs perfectly (Blackstone called the UOA one of the best they had ever seen from a Jeep 4.0). You would never dream my stepfather's Concorde has 190,000+. You would be STUNNED to find my friend's F-250 has 260,000+ & his father's E-350 has 490,000. (That's not a typo.) You would not believe my friend's Outback Sport has 285K.

For that matter, you would never realize some of the livery Town cars I drove were over 300K. One customer wanted a new car for a run to Albany & back...but the "new" (~100K) car popped a brake line, so after spending 2 hours detailing it, I took the OLDEST Town Car in the fleet, which had ~570,000 miles. The stuffed-shirt in the back seat never realized it wasn't a new car. When I left the company, the car was still in service with 585K.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
There are a lot of pos cars what won't GO that far. Big problem with the Corolla, eh?

I do agree, I somehow managed to own both an early Corolla and a later model Prizm and they were zero complaints from me. The service they saw would have brought a lesser car to its axle balls.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
To have to pay $300 on an otherwise functional gauge cluster in a car with that mileage that is worth next to nothing is indeed worthy of making people unhappy.

This.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
OH NO!!! I better ditch it soon!!

haha just kidding

This, too... but hitting a metaphorical wall on my odometer would definitely take the wind out of my sails.

Originally Posted By: VNTS
So how many people really go out and pay money for a car with 270K miles, only a [censored] fool would.

I my area any Corrolla with that mileage is generally a rot bucket, most that come into the local yard mostly have 100-150K on me and they are in pretty sad shape.

You ever thought about living someplace where there's no need to salt the roads?? There's absolutely no reason why a southern car couldn't make it past 300k miles with typical maintenance. We don't treat automobiles as throwaways. I've owned 6 used vehicles in my very short life, and 4 of them have actually appreciated in value, considering I take my sweet time in finding and maintaining them.

But ya know.... do what ya do, I guess.

Some Comments:

Toyota:
I do think the odometer is a design flaw and toyota is responsible considering its a 6 digit design. Considering Toyota (a few years back) was shelling out 1.5 x KBB to the Tacoma owners with rusty frames seems like it would be relatively cheap for Toyota to take care of in goodwill.

High mileage cars:
There are too many factors to consider in a high mileage car- YES, your 490,000 car may be worth SOMETHING. But its case by case. You have to consider the previous owner, records etc etc.

I would pay more for a Civic with 150,000 miles that has proof of a timing belt service VS. the same year civic with 90,000 miles and an unknown/neglected history.

All within reason of course as the cost of a timing belt service, bring the car up to speed maintenance wise...

For what it's worth it costs almost NOTHING to keep the sixth digit in that ODO with the ability to display ALL numbers, as a matter of fact it probably costs MORE to customize that item with the missing segment....I wonder. It seems most auto makers have colluded to make the ODO that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back