Will slightly too much oil damage the engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like using anything that is not OEM on my present Volvo TDI, but in general terms the way to buy oil filters is to walk into a big auto parts place and buy the most expensive oil filter they have that is from a name you have heard of. Oil filters do matter more than the actual oil for some engines and you often get what you pay for.

Originally Posted By: skyship
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Stop it. I'm using a 15k Fram Ultra twice right now. The sky has never fallen from unscrewing a filter. Ever.

Well good luck if it's a Fram in particular! The sky only falls for an engine once from oil leaks.

Which Fram in particular are you referring to?

I don't like using anything that is not OEM on my present Volvo TDI, but in general terms the way to buy oil filters is to walk into a big auto parts place and buy the most expensive oil filter they have that is from a name you have heard of. Oil filters do matter more than the actual oil for some engines and you often get what you pay for.

My 1994 Lexus LS400 has more than 300k miles on odometer, it had mostly low to mid range oil filters from lowly Fram Extra Guard to Purolator Classic to Motorcraft for full year of 12k-14k miles with synthetic oil. With dino oil I change oil at 6-7k but reuse filter after remove to drain some oil then re-install.

The engine is in good condition after 19 years and 300k miles with lowest cost oil filters. Of the 2 filters, air and oil, air filter is much more importance. In a good/clean engine there isn't much for oil filter to filter.

fram filters
Just tear one apart and look at their construction and then you will know what I am saying, doing my own maintence correctly since 1970.

Last edited:
That is my point Skyship, mostly what you find in even the largest autoparts stores
are junk oil filters. Moto consumer news claims Wix- Purolator, Perf.form and others - these are often difficult to find and almost never in a big store. So my point is that the big auto parts stores are not where to shop for oil filters.Purolator does have a high rating, but look at how little shelf space they get in your auto stores. Fram spends their money on advertising, like the us auto mfg,s do ,and not on their product.
Motorcycle consumer news has some of the finest staff who work with/ test this and write about it and they take no advertising from anyone, the reports on oilfilters, three issue oil analysis etc.

The other writer is correct when he says the right filter is as important as changing oil often to keep clean engine.

10=-4 on the clean engine, suprised to hear that you feel the air filter is more or equally important to change or clean more often, which brings me to my quesstion to you. The air filters sold by K&N, which I used for 20 years , no longer. It has been my observation and in reading, these filters let in more air , yes, but also let in more junk into the engine, yes? Proper combustion has an upper threshold where it mixes and reaches this threshold and any more is not needed,this is correct accd. to motorcycle consumer news. My point is that a proper quality paper air filter lets in the proper threhold of air needed for optimum combustin to take place. That is to say, their research shows that more air does not mean greater combustion, yes? So the K&n is a waste of money accd to research and analysis. A cloged and unchanged paper air filter will not offer the proper threshold of air needed also for proper efficient detonation to occur,what is your take on the subject. Please name the air filter you use.

Originally Posted By: macg2
That is my point Skyship, mostly what you find in even the largest autoparts stores are junk oil filters.

What a bunch of absolute tripe!
Why you two geniuses start your own oil filter thread. As you have certainly hijacked this one.

OP +1 on what Astro said.

Stop it. I'm using a 15k Fram Ultra twice right now. The sky has never fallen from unscrewing a filter. Ever.

Well good luck if it's a Fram in particular! The sky only falls for an engine once from oil leaks.

Which Fram in particular are you referring to?

Fram Ultra. Wire backed synthetic media, metal endcaps, silivone ADV. Rated for 15k miles. Cheapest of the high end "synthetic" filters. $9 at Walmart.

On Hondas with 3.5 quart oil sump, I would always use 4 quarts with no engine problem. The oil level was a centimeter past the max line.

hey, this forum is for all and is used to create new and interesting topics, how much more can you say about how much more oil can you put in a car. Try to relax and enjoy and perhaps you will enjoy this forum as it was im sure meant to be.

the rest of what im thinking about your post I will keep to myself.

Originally Posted By: civicmike
However, when I checked it again this morning, the oil came up about 1 cm above the "full" mark.?

Same thing has happened to me 2 times when I used the scale on a 5qt jug to measure 4 1/2 quarts of oil. Quart bottles are more reliable. The scale is more accurate.

Quote:
10=-4 on the clean engine, surprised to hear that you feel the air filter is more or equally important to change or clean more often, which brings me to my question to you. The air filters sold by K&N, which I used for 20 years, no longer. It has been my observation and in reading, these filters let in more air, yes, but also let in more junk into the engine, yes?

Many users reported dust cover intake tube from using K&N air filter, some had spotless air intake. Nobody report dusty air intake tube using OEM air filter. Both cases are with no air leak.

I don't like the idea of cleaning and oil a dirty air filter every year or 2.

Quote:
Proper combustion has an upper threshold where it mixes and reaches this threshold and any more is not needed,this is correct accd. to motorcycle consumer news. My point is that a proper quality paper air filter lets in the proper threshold of air needed for optimum combustion to take place. That is to say, their research shows that more air does not mean greater combustion, yes?

OEM air filter has more capacity than needed by the engine.

Quote:
So the K&n is a waste of money according to research and analysis. A clogged and unchanged paper air filter will not offer the proper threshold of air needed also for proper efficient detonation to occur,what is your take on the subject. Please name the air filter you use.

I have OEM air filters in LS400 and S2000, Mann air filter in E430. I change air filter every 4 years/40-50k miles. The filters are not clogged yet, but the seals were brittle because of the engine heat, it did not completely seal against the air box so that unfiltered air may pass through the seal.

PS I use pantyhose at the intake mouth on front of the air box as pre-filter, it catch leave, bug, sand ... So that the air filter only need to filter dust, no large objects on it to obstruct air flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back