My dad needs BITOG's helpfull tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dad traded in his Focus for a 2000 Lincoln town car with the 8 cyln about 2 months ago. the car ran perfect and he had it inspected when he bought it by a independent shop. who does his usual work.

4 weeks after purchase he observed the car was idling rough only at stops.

approx 6 weeks after purchase he had a check engine light come on.

Dad had the shop check it out and they hooked up the computer, #5 cyl is having a problem.

The shop claims is likely a valve problem on#5 as the plug wire and plug are fine.

My dad calls me and asked advice : I tell him he should take the car back to the dodge dealership he bought the car from and plead his case to them.. let them look it over and if it is a valve problem ask for there assistance in fixing it.

just for reference so he doesnt get took, what should a valve job run $$$

and on that topic, what about a ring job ?

what say you ?

This is the 4.6L? It's likely an ignition coil. These engines are known for them to go bad and would cause the symptoms you mentioned. Unless they did a compression test, they are just trying to rip him off. Change the ignition coil and spark plug.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
This is the 4.6L? It's likely an ignition coil. These engines are known for them to go bad and would cause the symptoms you mentioned. Unless they did a compression test, they are just trying to rip him off. Change the ignition coil and spark plug.

im happy to pass anything along to him. and yes its the 4.6

Last edited:

This.

how did they test the spark plug wires since the car shouldnt have any.

ITS a COP system.

I mean there are wires but they arent "spark plug wires" like you would normally think of them.

the number one hit for 2000 lincoln town car rough idle

"If your Lincoln, Town-Car begins running roughly after start up, it could be an ignition coil. An ignition coil is a device the covers each individual spark plug in your car. Each coil is connected to a computer chip where the car's ignition module helps control the engine's firing mechanisms. When prompted, the ignition coil will deliver the charge needed for the spark plug to ignite and fire. If you are familiar with older car engines, the ignition coils replaced the distributor caps that were once installed. .

Your Lincoln, Town-Car will have one ignition coil for each spark plug. Each coil works independently, which means each one can go out one at a time. Replacing your ignition coil is very basic.?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

This.

+2 also see it the coil boot is covered in oil.....also common.

Originally Posted By: Dakota1820

This.

Shouldn't be on a 2V, as the coil is above the head. On a 4V, yep, this can be an issue
smile.gif

This.

Shouldn't be on a 2V, as the coil is above the head. On a 4V, yep, this can be an issue
smile.gif

We had a family friend witn a 2000? Town car it had soaked coil boots. Not sure on the whole 2v or 4v but i think it ended up being her intake gasket . I think.....

We had a family friend witn a 2000? Town car it had soaked coil boots. Not sure on the whole 2v or 4v but i think it ended up being her intake gasket . I think.....

Wonder if somebody dumped oil on the intake when they were adding/changing the oil? That's about the only way it is going to get near the boot
21.gif

The plugs go into the head, but it is on the BACK of the head, between the intake runners:

17481d1273697760t-4-6l-spark-plug-thread-img_5864.jpg

A leaking intake gasket wouldn't get oil down that hole, as the hole is continuous and only passes through the head.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
Dad traded in his Focus for a 2000 Lincoln town car with the 8 cyln about 2 months ago. the car ran perfect and he had it inspected when he bought it by a independent shop. who does his usual work.

4 weeks after purchase he observed the car was idling rough only at stops.

approx 6 weeks after purchase he had a check engine light come on.

Dad had the shop check it out and they hooked up the computer, #5 cyl is having a problem.

The shop claims is likely a valve problem on#5 as the plug wire and plug are fine.

My dad calls me and asked advice : I tell him he should take the car back to the dodge dealership he bought the car from and plead his case to them.. let them look it over and if it is a valve problem ask for there assistance in fixing it.

just for reference so he doesnt get took, what should a valve job run $$$

and on that topic, what about a ring job ?

what say you ?

They should have done a compression test and if one was low, dumped in a small amount of oil and see if the compression gets better (the oil will seal the rings for a few revolutions.)

The the vehicle throw a code?

An alternative way is to turn over the engine with a DC amp probe clamped around the + battery cable, with the probe connected to a scope. Should see less current draw when it pops over the bad cylinder since its easier when the compression is low.

Wonder if somebody dumped oil on the intake when they were adding/changing the oil? That's about the only way it is going to get near the boot
21.gif

The plugs go into the head, but it is on the BACK of the head, between the intake runners:

A leaking intake gasket wouldn't get oil down that hole, as the hole is continuous and only passes through the head.

Hers was the back driver side. Its been awhile but i thought where plug hole was, was actually in the Intake. Man its been so long having a hard ttime recalling it. Let see if i can dig up a similar pic or something

OK, just called dad and i have new information ! the shop swapped the ignition coil and plug and it didnt cure the problem. Then the shop did a compression check and that #5 cyln came back with 20# of compression. The car is making no odd noises and its running perfectly smooth, just idles rough and continues to throw the check engine light on. Dad dropped it back off at the shop this mornning and plans to call them in the mornning..
He had a suspension shop owner tell him this mornning (at church) he thinks its a valve spring.

Also, this car was old lady owned since new, and traded in last year.. dad told me moments ago on the phone that when we took it for a drive together and he asked me to kick it down and blow it out that is was just after that that the idle and check engine light started (as a matter of fact i remember telling him while driving the car that the light had just come on)

With this new and remembered info, what say you ?

and if it does need a valve spring how much $$$ is he looking at ?
hows about a full valve job ?? $$$ ???

21.gif

Hers was the back driver side. Its been awhile but i thought where plug hole was, was actually in the Intake. Man its been so long having a hard ttime recalling it. Let see if i can dig up a similar pic or something

All eight plugs are setup like that pic if that helps. They run between the intake runners directly in the material of the head, which the top of the coil boot seals against. They don't run through the intake at any point.

OK, just called dad and i have new information ! the shop swapped the ignition coil and plug and it didnt cure the problem. Then the shop did a compression check and that #5 cyln came back with 20# of compression. The car is making no odd noises and its running perfectly smooth, just idles rough and continues to throw the check engine light on. Dad dropped it back off at the shop this mornning and plans to call them in the mornning..
He had a suspension shop owner tell him this mornning (at church) he thinks its a valve spring.

Also, this car was old lady owned since new, and traded in last year.. dad told me moments ago on the phone that when we took it for a drive together and he asked me to kick it down and blow it out that is was just after that that the idle and check engine light started (as a matter of fact i remember telling him while driving the car that the light had just come on)

O lord probably over 1500 easy....
frown.gif

Valve spring will be cheap, and it is easy to pull the valve cover and confirm.

But if it does have a damaged/bent valve, that's going to be expensive, as the whole top of the engine has to come off. You are looking at probably $1500 minimum.

im going to call him back in a few hours and tell him what yall are saying.. truly appreciate the info.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Why not get another head from a junkyard?

may not be out of the question.. just want to gather as many opinions as i can before i call him back.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Why not get another head from a junkyard?

It isn't the head (or head work) that's expensive. It'll be the labour involved in replacing it. This is an OHC engine, it is a bit more involved than pulling a head on a 302 or 351.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back