2004 Honda CR-V - Beautiful

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister has limited financial means as she is in college in Pennsylvania. She comes home every few months whenever she can hitch a ride or we pick her up. My grandparents were concerned with the high mileage they had on their CR-V so they bought a brand new CR-V and gave my sister an amazing price on their 2004 CR-V ($2000). She is a very responsible young girl and I have no doubt she will take care of her car. This is also AWD for winter driving.

This car is the definition of a "cream-puff" always dealer maintained and it drives like it's brand new. They had the dealership service the car with an oil change before we came to pick it up and the dealership said 3 of the 4 Cooper tires had "cuts" in the tread and my grandparents did not want my sister driving on damaged tires so they even had four new tires put on. When we arrived in Long Island to pickup the vehicle last night there was a big red bow on the dashboard. My grandparents are wonderful (God bless them!) and my sister is very happy!

Front

Side

Rear

Wheels

Front Interior

Rear Interior

Odometer

Dash

Under the hood

4 Cyl

Nice new tires

That looks like it just rolled off the dealer's lot! Looks clean! Really liking the column shift, too!

Hopefully your sister won't get over confident with the AWD in the snow.

What an excellent first car for your sister. It will serve her well and should be trouble free. At 140,000 miles the engine will have just broken in. Perfect. Reliable, utilitarian, and safe. Will continue to run great with a minimum of maintenance. Your sister should have talked your grandparents down some on the price, though....just kidding.

Are you doing the oil changes? If so, with what?

Those are great vehicles. The interior room Honda squeezed into those is amazing. My mom had one for a short while and even with awd it got great mpg. Hers was white with tan interior. I still give her a hard time for getting rid of it.

This CR-V is very easy to drive (drives like a car), has great visibility and is nicely built. Not a single squeak or rattle, it really drives like it came from the showroom. Honda knows how to build an excellent vehicle, that's for sure. In its 140,000 miles, it has been bulletproof for my grandparents.

Her previous car can be seen in the 2nd photo which is a (currently) broken down 99 VW Jetta plagued with numerous electrical gremlins, rattles, squeaks and we cannot get it to pass state emissions without major work (it needs a new catalytic converter) so we are going to junk it. I have replaced dozens of fuses in that heap but it fuses blew constantly. She did not take this to school as we did not think it was reliable enough to go the 300 miles to school.

If I decide to change the oil myself I will just use a regular 5w20.

Sweetheart deals like that abound between family generations. That car on a used car lot will be $11,000+.

One of the best vehicles I ever owned. The CR-V is a great little CUV or whatever they call them now. Your sis should get through college with no car issues. Mine was kept in tip top shape using nothing but Kendall synthetic blend.

My only concern is IIRC, in one year the airbags will be due for replacement. I have an 04, and we're wondering about this... Hopefully I'm wrong.

But if I'm accurate, she is at risk of non functional airbags going forward, fwiw.

Perhaps/hopefully this isn't the case, but it was my understanding back in the day.

May want to look into it.

(I'm driving a car with its original 1991 airbag).

That is a really nice story.

If internet is correct, average age of car on the road today is 11 years. If that is indeed correct and your assertion is true, then average person is in a vehicle which has non-working airbag. So we should be deluded with the reports of non-working airbags daily. Given that is not the case, one of the assumption must be wrong.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
My only concern is IIRC, in one year the airbags will be due for replacement. I have an 04, and we're wondering about this... Hopefully I'm wrong.

But if I'm accurate, she is at risk of non functional airbags going forward, fwiw.

Perhaps/hopefully this isn't the case, but it was my understanding back in the day.

May want to look into it.

(I'm driving a car with its original 1991 airbag).

That is a really nice story.

Hmm, I looked through the STACK of maintenance records from the dealership we obtained with the car neatly organized in an envelope and I saw a bunch of recall work done. One recall I saw had something to do with an airbag switch and the SRS light was on. Could this be it?

I also saw they adjusted the valves a few times according to the maintenance schedule.

I will have to look more closely at the records this week.

i would be "concerned" about the odometer mileage of a honda cr-v once it hits around 500k, and even then only for the typical maintenance items.
smile.gif

Nice looking car for sure. Our CR-V is my favorite of the many cars I've driven as a daily driver. The engine and transmission have such a smooth demeanor to them. I quickly wrote off the 2nd generation when I was looking, and bought our 3rd generation, but the more I see the ins and outs of 2nd generation CR-Vs, the more I like them. They're just really honest vehicles. Nice story.

Originally Posted By: k24a4
What an excellent first car for your sister. It will serve her well and should be trouble free. At 140,000 miles the engine will have just broken in. Perfect. Reliable, utilitarian, and safe. Will continue to run great with a minimum of maintenance. Your sister should have talked your grandparents down some on the price, though....just kidding.

Are you doing the oil changes? If so, with what?

Not trying to be a stick-in-the-mud but this type of statement is misleading. No car is 'just broken in' at 140,000 miles....period. Even a vaunted Honda. It all depends on many factors such as maintenance, type of trips, driving style, etc. I know that you are probably just being kind and exuberant in your post (at least I hope so), but many folks might take your statement as fact.

Last edited:
Hope her AC will not blow up like in did in my Uncle's CR-V.
He like his old Accord (1994 I think) much more, and it has been more reliable.

I would try the new Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w20 in that engine. A forgiving "forgot to change my oil" full syn with all the high mileage oil bells and whistles like seal conditioners and extra wear additives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back