Any rival to Mobil 1 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When it comes to mfg approvals,I`d say probably not because Exxon is one of the richest companies in the world.

Last edited:
The Germans demand the best possible performance from an oil due to hard driving and very long OCI's, they also make more high performance cars than any other country. The number one engine oil company for private sales is Liqui Moly but Castrol are only just behind and Mobil are way back at around 5%.
The reason why LM is ahead is just that they make very good oils BUT are cheaper than Castrol. In technical terms Castrol are some way ahead of any other company, which is why they don't get as many OEM contracts as Mobil, because they don't need the advertising that results from such loss making contracts. Shell are about on a par with Mobil.
In purely technical terms I would say Castrol is no 1, Shell and Mobil no 2, BUT with Liqui Moly and Fuchs almost equal, although in reality it does not make a big difference in engine oil performance terms.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 229
http://autop.ro/3V5

Is there ANY competition to Mobil 1 with all of their
manufacturer approvals in any particular viscosity?

M1 0w-40 has the most MFG approvals, and so does Pennzoil Ultra 5w-40. From an availability and price standpoint, there is no contest though.

I'm sure if you look and brand new car oil caps, the majority of cars that show a brand name will say Mobil 1. I know my Jag says Castrol and I recall seeing Castrol on Volvo products as well. As far as actual certifications go, it may be a toss up between the major companies. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the case that Mobil 1 0w-40 was the most certified oil sold today.

In North America Mobil 1 has no rival, their market share of synthetic oil is way ahead of anybody.

Majority of independent garages carry only Mobil 1 for synthetic oil change, because majority of consumers only know Mobil 1 when it comes to synthetic. Partially because of the name, nothing is simpler than "ONE" after the brand, and M1 was available for a long long time.

MFG approvals have most to do with the $$$$ deal which makes the oil the best but in reality it was the cheapest deal. Means almost nothing. Like the oil fill hole obsession it is mis leading at best IMHO. They can out bid everyone as they were smart enough to market their oil in such a way that they are one. Shell is an example of the reverse of their genius in Marketing.Each month someone writes about a problem they are having with Mobil 1 sometimes serious sometimes petty but each month the only oil with this record.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Partially because of the name, nothing is simpler than "ONE" after the brand, and M1 was available for a long long time.

Well now there's another "One". Get ready for this - Mag1. No seriously, it's tough to beat M1 because of the brand recognition here in NA and the certs 0W-40 carries worldwide, which helps push up the brand image. I'd be using it if 0W-40 was the same price as Mag1's 5W-40, or if the M1 jugs are available in my market.

Last edited:
ACEA A5/B5; Honda HTO-6; dexos1; Ford
>WSS-M2C 946-A; and the latest Chrysler approval in 5W30.

Anyone seen most of these approvals on an oil label? TIA

Hi,
skyship - You said this above(amongst some other nebulous comments);

"In technical terms Castrol are some way ahead of any other company, which is why they don't get as many OEM contracts as Mobil, because they don't need the advertising that results from such loss making contracts."

Can you substantiate this?

And you have inferred that Castrol loses money overall on their long standing prime relationships (Contracts) with the VW Group and BMW. Any facts to support this? I doubt it.....

Give us some substantiation - facts, figures and details please

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
When it comes to mfg approvals,I`d say probably not because Exxon is one of the richest companies in the world.

As opposed to those Mom&Pop outfits like Shell and Total.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
skyship - You said this above(amongst some other nebulous comments);

"In technical terms Castrol are some way ahead of any other company, which is why they don't get as many OEM contracts as Mobil, because they don't need the advertising that results from such loss making contracts."

Can you substantiate this?

And you have inferred that Castrol loses money overall on their long standing prime relationships (Contracts) with the VW Group and BMW. Any facts to support this? I doubt it.....

Good luck getting what you've asked for from him Doug. A lot of us are anxiously waiting.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary

It's hard to substantiate drivel.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: skyship
The Germans demand the best possible performance from an oil due to hard driving and very long OCI's, they also make more high performance cars than any other country. The number one engine oil company for private sales is Liqui Moly but Castrol are only just behind and Mobil are way back at around 5%.
The reason why LM is ahead is just that they make very good oils BUT are cheaper than Castrol. In technical terms Castrol are some way ahead of any other company, which is why they don't get as many OEM contracts as Mobil, because they don't need the advertising that results from such loss making contracts. Shell are about on a par with Mobil.
In purely technical terms I would say Castrol is no 1, Shell and Mobil no 2, BUT with Liqui Moly and Fuchs almost equal, although in reality it does not make a big difference in engine oil performance terms.

This post makes absolutely zero sense.
crazy2.gif

1. The German (auto makers, not skyship) demand the best possible performance. And they ALL use one of the major oil brands for initial and service fills. The most common being a Mobil 1 product followed by BP/Castrol products. Not one of them uses Liqui-Moly.

2. Liqui-Moly is possibly (I've never seen any proof presented by Captain Skyship of this claim) more popular in the aftermarket due to price and the fact that it is German. Patriotic appeal here. That doesn't in any way mean it is better, or even as good as what the factory and manufacturers use.

3. Technical terms Castrol is way ahead how? In producing vague data-less product data sheets that are so obscure that you have no real idea as to how the product is going to perform? If that's way ahead, well..... And if they WERE better than Mobil, they'd get more OEM contracts. Your point here is completely insane. Loss making? Right, the most profitable oil company in history specializes in "loss making contracts". Do you hear yourself???

4. Your classification of "purely technical terms" is pulled out of your "purely technical" posterior. This is nothing but a fluff/opinion piece masquerading as factual diatribe.

Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite
AMSOIL, in my opinion. I prefer things from 1974 vs. 1972 though.

AMSOIL lubricants are excellent, no doubt. But they only get the basic API approvals on the XL/OE lines, so in terms of certifications/approvals, they certainly don't compare to Mobil, which is what the OP asked.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite
AMSOIL, in my opinion. I prefer things from 1974 vs. 1972 though.

Amsoils SSO line is fantastic stuff however its cost prohibitive for many people. The only real competition Mobil has is pennzoil once cost is factored in,but pennzoil doesn't have the reputation and recognition that Mobil does.
I'm really liking liqui-moly as a company and their products. They are of very high quality and can be had for roughly the same price as Mobil here however again the brand recognition that Mobil does.
I don't think there is an oil company out there that can truly compete with Mobil one all factors are considered.
And I'm not a Mobil fan although I'm really liking the 0w-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back