Thinking about getting rid of the Cavalier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in 1998 when I got my Cavalier, I vowed to drive it til the wheels fell off.

Well, the wheels never fell off, but I've just outgrown the car. The Cavalier is a 2 door coupe with basically no options except for A/C, if you want to consider that an option.

I own a 1994 Mustang GT Convertible that I'm currently restoring, so I don't want a fire breathing sports car.

What I would like is something with 2 doors, fully equipped, not a compact car, with no more than 6 cylinders and gets at least close to 30mpgs.

As far as a price range, I'd say no more than $4k to $6k.

I did a general parameters search on Autotrader and I really thought I found what I was looking for when I stumbled across the 2001-2003 Acura 3.2 CL, but in reading reviews, I kept coming across people saying that they had the transmission rebuilt multiple times and ended up getting rid of the vehicle.

Honestly, I can say with my Cavalier, I’ve never had any major problems out of it and it still runs well, but I want something a little bit nicer (and a little more up to date), but still reliable with proper maintenance. I know that buying a used car is sometimes buying other people’s problems, but that is exactly what I’m trying to avoid.

Since my Cavalier still runs well, I’m not exactly in a big rush to buy, but I’m looking to buy something within the next 6 months more than likely. I want to take my time and make sure I make a good decision.

With that being said, are there any suggestions that one can come up with or does nothing like this exist?

Honda did have some transmissions that would just "grenade" no matter how well you cared for it. There was inadequate lubrication in one area of the transmission.

You could always put it in a demolition derby, then you could literally drive it until the wheels fall off!
laugh.gif

Yeah, the early 00's Honda transmissions were relatively unreliable, especially when mated with a V6 engine. I believe the ones connected to I4s were better.

Maybe look for a 4-cylinder Accord of similar vintage? We had an '01 4-cyl auto EX coupe with 120K on it that we sold for $4700 about a year ago.

It is a little under your budget, but I would like to add Saturn Ion to your list. They have GM excellent ecotec motors and can pull 36 mpg on the highway. It has a nice athletic, sporty feel when driving them. 4K will get you a loaded 2005 with a manual transmission. I would avoid 2002-03 models.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Ive always wanted an svx.. but yeah accord 2 door 4 cylinder not a bad option.
+1, and I'm a Toyota guy.

This is definitely widening out my pool of what to look for. Please keep the suggestions coming, even if it's outside of what I mentioned above.

I know it's not exactly your request, but I'd go for an accord 4 cyl mt, 2dr, which will be tough to find but a good car.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
You have outgrown it, but it's paid for and owes you nothing. I say keep it until the wheels fall off!

I would really like to keep the car, but the lack of power options is the thing that has made me lose interest as far as maintenance/repairs/upkeep. If the car had power options, I would keep it.

As crazy as it may sound, I wouldn't be opposed to purchasing another car just like it, but with power options if I came across one that I thought was in good condition.

I am the type that takes road trips and I like to ride with the windows down when the weather's nice out, so cruise control and power windows would definitely make things more enjoyable versus me stretching over and cranking down the window while trying to drive or having to pull over to roll it up if it starts raining.

What do you mean by "outgrown?" Do you have new requirements for a car like a family? ....or are you simply bored with the car?

I can appreciate both of those reasons, but it's really hard to argue for selling a known car, which is paid off and has proven to be reliable when you can get another year or three worth of service out of it.

That said, I'll throw my support behind the Accord. I think it's probably your best option.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
What do you mean by "outgrown?"

It's just a barebones car with no options and I've gotten tired of it.

Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
Post the Cavalier for sale here,I'll bet most of us would rather buy from a bitoger than almost any other.

+1

I'd rather sell to a BITOGer too - at least I'd be reasonably certain it would get taken care of.

I like Cavaliers. I own two, 1992 models. I drive one and my fiance drives the other. Mine is a RS model so it does have the power windows, cruise, intermitant wipers, automatic, flip down back seats, remote trunk opener, and radio with cassette.

The one that my fiance drives is the VL bare bones model with none of those things. It's nice to have all of the options but I could live without them too.

I say keep driving the one you have but I do understand getting tired of vehicles. I guess thats why I have as many as I do so I can change what I drive when I want to. Good luck on your decision.

Wayne

I suspect if you look hard enough, you might be able to find power windows and power door locks at recycling hard cheap. Cruise control is highly over-rated. Very rarely it is helpful. When you really think you need it when your feet starts hurting, it is time to pull over and rest.

With working A/C very rarely one "needs" to keep the windows down. Remote lock and unlock does get addictive but still not necessary.

I would keep the cavalier. I had a friend who had a cavalier all through high school and when she graduated she traded it for a vw bug 8,000 later in repairs and constant issues she wishes she had her cavalier. I understand wanting nice but if the cavalier is In good shape and you know it's history and they are easy to fix I wouldn't give it up. I think you'll end up regretting it later. Just my opinion thigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back