What is genuine mitsubishi power steering fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was looking over the engine bay of the Lancer today. I noticed P/S was a little under the Cold/Low line. Cap just said P/S fluid. So i looked like up on my FSM, genuine mitsubishi power steering fluid. [censored] is that... normally says whatever equal.

It requires SP-III for ATF and i just put Maxlife in it. But what is genuine mitsubishi power steering fluid... No bottle says its equal to it. I'll buy a bottle of w/e is needed since i never did any fluid service to it.

I have some Castrol IMV still left.

I posted it should be fine but deleted it after remembering it may need a special fluid.
Do some research on this. It may need a mineral oil base fluid.

Edit Prestone Power Steering Fluid
Its mineral oil based and will work in the Mitsubish. 6 bucks at AA.

Castrol has one that is mineral oil based also recommended for Mitsubish but i don't think its sold in the US.

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_int...ering_Fluid.pdf

Last edited:
How about Parts Master PSF? I've got a quart of that I got on clearance, IIRC it's made by Valvoline and should be mineral based. I wouldn't mind using it up in the Lancer I mentioned. I don't recall what's listed on the back of the container.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Castrol has one that is mineral oil based also recommended for Mitsubish but i don't think its sold in the US.

I think you're right, Trav. The North American version is rather different, at least according to the data sheet, meeting fewer specifications, having different numbers, and a different colour.

I would guess that it is SPIII since it is red in color. However, Can't say for sure. I've been using Multi-Atf in my Mitsu's for 15+ years with out ever having a problem. I currently have been using Amsoil ATF in my current mitsu, however if you use the online application guide, it suggests Amsoil P/S fluid. That being said, Any ATF *should* be fine if your Mitsu is anything like the several I've owned.

A few months ago i did a complete flush with Autozone brand Dexron iii in my 2000 eclipse,and everything is working fine.

Originally Posted By: vtecboy
A few months ago i did a complete flush with Autozone brand Dexron iii in my 2000 eclipse,and everything is working fine.

What fluid was it asking for?

It seems any ATF is good... googling around other mitsu forums.

This is one of my favorite Mitsu Stealership stories.

I have an '07 Outlander. I was ready to change my power steering fluid out and owner's manual said "Genuine Mitsu PSF". [censored] to that! So I call up the stealership I bought it from, told them what I'm doing and asked the service manager what they use. They said any power steering fluid should work. Okay, sounds good. There is another stealership on the other side of town, might as well call them up and play dumb with them too. They said that they use ATF fluid! So one stealership uses whatever PS fluid, and the other stealership is putting in ATF! With those answers, I put in Valvoline PS fluid and called it done. That was 45k miles ago and no issues. I'll change it out in about another 15k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back