Brakes groan on release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This summer I replaced the pads and rotors on the Charger and am having a groan. I'm not concerned about it as I'm 99.9% certain it is a normal groan. When coasting to a light, speed bump, or stop light and I apply the brake when I get close to the stopping point, when I start to take my foot off the brake it groans right before it fully releases. I know this is simply the noise of the slippage between the pad and the rotor which is why I'm not concerned. However, my stock brakes did not do this. Why do some pad/rotor matches make this noise while others don't?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Did you lube the back of the pads with some disc brake grease?

Unfortunately I did not do the change. While on the road in Florida my mom paid for a local dealership to swap them out (long story), so I'm not sure if they applied lube to the backs.

If they didn't use any, or didn't use enough, that might be the source of your noise. It's something you can leave alone until the next brake job unless it bothers you.

You are actually not supposed to do that anymore.......I know it's been done forever we had a guy come in from some brake company i forget the name and tell us to no longer do that. A guy who came in a couple weeks ago from permatex told us the same thing. I'm not sure why the change though just sharing the info. Also the groan could be associated with just the kind of compound the brake friction disc is made out of?

oh really?
I was *always* told to do that: between any contacting part (including in front of and behind the anti-noise sheet metal thingy.
Noise was always an aesthetic issue for picky customers.

Any ideas why the change in advice?

Originally Posted By: Dakota1820

You are actually not supposed to do that anymore.......I know it's been done forever we had a guy come in from some brake company i forget the name and tell us to no longer do that. A guy who came in a couple weeks ago from permatex told us the same thing. I'm not sure why the change though just sharing the info. Also the groan could be associated with just the kind of compound the brake friction disc is made out of?

Many of the pads I've installed recently have bonded [and sometimes nitrile coated] shims; I've read to not grease the shims of these. I've only seen to grease the backing plate of the pad [in between the pad and shims] if the shim is not of the bonded type; even in this situation, I do not grease where the shims may contact the caliper 'ears' or what you may call them. In either of these instances, I've not had noise. There is that sticky stuff [usually blue or red] that dries rubbery to suppress/absorb vibration and in turn noise on pads, however, I would not put this in any area where pad to carrier contact exists or where the back of the pad would contact the 'ears' and even with this sticky/rubbery stuff, I've found it not that great at suppressing noise, at least not as great as using pads with bonded nitrile coated shims and using new pad hardware [springs, clips, etc.].

To more directly address the OP's post, perhaps the pads you have on now are not chamfered, try taking the pads out and beveling/chamfering the leading and trailing edge of the friction material and see if that doesn't reduce the groaning noise you describe; I have had this groaning type noise on pads that were not chamfered, but then again we're talking Hawk HP+ pads and other semi-racing level or higher pads which aren't quiet to begin with. I can get my pads [Bendix CT-3] to make that same noise depending on how I brake at very low almost creeping speeds, it's the noise I describe as the noise brakes make after going through the car-wash.

I've found that some brands of aftermarket pads will do this. Switching back to the OE friction material resolved this problem for me on various Nissan vehicles.

Several auto manufacturers still recommend light clapier grease, usually silicone, applied to the pad shim where it interfaces with the caliper and piston and the pad ears. That said, I don't think that will help pad groan and its probably just a function of pad and rotor type used.

Originally Posted By: ChrisW
Originally Posted By: Dakota1820

Many of the pads I've installed recently have bonded [and sometimes nitrile coated] shims; I've read to not grease the shims of these. I've only seen to grease the backing plate of the pad [in between the pad and shims] if the shim is not of the bonded type; even in this situation, I do not grease where the shims may contact the caliper 'ears' or what you may call them. In either of these instances, I've not had noise.

Interesting, I haven't used these yet, but my brake pad part # probably dates to the '70s or something.

The last set of Wagner ThermoQuiets I threw on about a year and a half ago got a swipe of disc brake lube across the baking plate and have been super quiet (true to their name).

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
What good is brake grease on the back of the pad?
New shims or brake squeal sauce are my choices.

Not sure what brake squeal "sauce" is, but it's probably the same as disc brake grease or disc brake quiet, whatever the manufacturer chooses to call it. And the purpose it serves is to quiet noise from pad movement. You don't want it on the front of the pad where you want friction, so the back is where it goes.

Anti-squeal "sauce" is probably that adhesive brake disk quiet stuff. ACDelco for one doesn't recommend it due to poor heat transfer, only silicone grease. The silicone lubricant prevents slip-stick vibration that cause brake squeal.

Grease or a noise suppressing compound used to be applied to the back of brake pads to reduce the noise brake pads make as they move around under braking conditions. Most brake pads now come with a shim and a nitrile rubber noise suppressing compound on them. Grease will soften and destroy this much in the same way oil will break down latex gloves. I would say based on your desritption it might be that they put a semi metallic pad on your vehicle instead of an NAO ceramic type pad. If this is the problem the only solution would be to replace the pads with a ceramic pad. i used to work for Akebono and their aftermarket pads mostly use the same formula for all vehicles which is very close to their OEM formula. They use a small % kevlar which gives much longer lasting and quiet pads. Not many other ceramics use kevlar as it is the highest cost raw material in the pad.

There is a break-in procedure to perform after installation to mate the friction parts together. Akebono does not require this as they have an abrasive on the surface that does this for you with normal driving.

Actually Akebono runs their NAO pads through a scorching process to help with break-in. This process burns the surface volatile compounds that are noise reducing agents such as cork, rubber, nut shells, etc. not sure if this process could be duplicated at home using a propane torch maybe. Depends on what materials are used in their formula.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
What good is brake grease on the back of the pad?
New shims or brake squeal sauce are my choices.

Molykote M77 provides excellent noise suppression for metal-to-metal contact. This is why Honda and other OEMs require its use on brake pad backing plates and shims.

Not on all brake shims and clips. A lot of them are just stainless steel. Silicon grease won't harm rubber or plastic coatings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back