Is $1800 for a 99 Cadillac DeVille a good deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
.. Dare I say it, the appeal of this Jeep is that I can screw around with it, and have fun doing it.

I know it probably will not work as intended.

EDIT: Also, of the seller never texts me back, then there is no Jeep.

Also, this:

Quote:
i find it easier to buy a good pump vacuum and suck it out the fill tube. I had bought one for one of the boats and I use it all the time. Since you wont be changing the filter , it would be easier, and one less drain plug to leak. Trust me, you will find a lot of uses for the vac pump (just get a good one approx $70). They work great for bleeding brakes (one man) and clutch lines.

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Let's say the car is as bad as everyone (and everyone has said, to be fair, to "don't do it") says it is, could there still be value for my set of circumstances?

Let's see. You lost $1600 on your last car in just a matter of weeks, plus all the unnecessary "maintenance" that you spent money on. And that car didn't even have much wrong with it. This Jeep has "DO NOT BUY ME" written all over it with big bold letters, but since it's only $1000 to begin with, I guess the most you will lose on it is $1000. Sounds like an improvement and move in the right direction.... NOT!

I *juuust might* back out of this Jeep.

A part of me almost WANTS a POS to fix.

And, to get rid of my TV....

didnt you say you were married? or have a girlfriend? or have kids? shouldn't all this apparent disposable money be better spent on other things? use public transportation instead. buy a bicycle. what else?

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Do you think this Jeep would be a good tinkerer for me?

No because it will get your back against a wall of invisible gremlins. You'd do well with something more mechanical, where the transmission is controlled by a throttle valve cable or vacuum modulator. Something OBD-I so you can pass inspection with hacked wiring, as long as it runs. Something where if a computer is toast, you can put another one in from a junkyard without reprogramming. (Mopars of y2k era= most likely NOT)

The flood jeep will not be a good "tinkerer" because you have poor impulse control and whatever you have into it you'll let go of for pennies on the dollar when you get mad at it. If you do want to learn about cars, the simpler is better. If you want reliability in a $1000 car with lots of interior room and an easy engine/ trans to work on, it's hard to beat a RWD Volvo with 4 cyl with room under the hood.

But if you must, get an old grand wagonneer. Keep it together and its value will only go up. It'll have a bullet proof and easily fixed engine/ trans with very little wiring/ computers to get flooded out or be troublesome.

jeep-grand-wagoneer-01.jpg

3I63Nb3H35L15G55K4d2rb8bc825de17f14c2.jpg

1973 Chevy Nova - $1000

1973 Chevy nova, 4 door, 6 cylinder engine, 43,000 miles, PS, Powerglide trans, new tires, carburetor just rebuilt, rear air shocks. Call Joe ***-***-0000. Asking 1000 firm.

?

I'd have this turned into a 12 second car in no time.

.. Dare I say it, the appeal of this Jeep is that I can screw around with it, and have fun doing it.

Great, if that was the intent of this whole thread.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Great, if that was the intent of this whole thread.

No, it wasn't. The first car I saw was the 1999 DeVille. Then I realized that $1800 was a little rich for me.

If I don't hear from the seller today and tomorrow then the Jeep has entered the land of Vaporware and I am going to have to forget about it by default!

Originally Posted By: cptbarkley
buy a bicycle. what else?

That is looking more likely by the hour, yes sir.

If you can, do this. Its getting warmer.
Save for a few months. (no gas, no insurance, no maintenance costs - shouldn't take long) Buy something decent in time. Don't repeat the cycle.

That nova looks cool and actually just what you want if you want to tinker. Powerglide will get old on the highway though. My BIL had a 69 with 307 V8 and 'glide. Still got 19-20 MPG. You could save significant money registering and insuring it as an antique.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

didnt you say you were married? or have a girlfriend? or have kids? shouldn't all this apparent disposable money be better spent on other things? use public transportation instead. buy a bicycle. what else?

You're probably thinking of Dakota1820. He got a newish civic and his shopping is over for now.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
That nova looks cool and actually just what you want if you want to tinker. Powerglide will get old on the highway though. My BIL had a 69 with 307 V8 and 'glide. Still got 19-20 MPG. You could save significant money registering and insuring it as an antique.

I just may.

I think I will stop pursuing this Jeep now. It really seems like the only thing it has going for it is that it looks good. Darn.

I like that Nova. I just don't have $1000 firm.
frown.gif

Do you think this Jeep would be a good tinkerer for me?

Based on your track record with the Volvo (and "Bob" only knows what has gone on before you joined BITOG that that you haven't yet told us about) this would be the only thing that's not part of your anatomy that you should be tinkering with:

tinkertoy.jpg

I don't think the bicycle idea is an option for them. She is 450+lbs and needs a sturdy and roomy vehicle.

I like that Nova. At some point, someone slapped on a set of chrome Oldsmobile SSIIIs that came on some Cutlass models in the '80s. They're cool wheels on a cool car. Buy THAT one.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I don't think the bicycle idea is an option for them. She is 450+lbs and needs a sturdy and roomy vehicle.

I disagree. A bicycle will melt those extra pounds off as well as saving them money, so it's a win-win.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I like that Nova. At some point, someone slapped on a set of chrome Oldsmobile SSIIIs that came on some Cutlass models in the '80s. They're cool wheels on a cool car. Buy THAT one.

Agreed. He said he wants to tinker so that car definitely is "tinkerable" and a power glide is bulletproof so unless he drives with no tranny fluid he can't burn it up,and honestly the 6er is nearly indestructible too.
But if he blows it up it certainly isn't tough to bolt in any GM small block since its got a carb and points.
As long as the frame welds are intact I'd go with the nova. And his old lady will "fit"

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

I disagree. A bicycle will melt those extra pounds off as well as saving them money, so it's a win-win.

Pop, please don't encourage him. He might post pictures.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

I was referring that I don't think a bike will hold her weight. Special bikes that will handle that weight cost over $1000 and that is what they wish to spend on a car. I've seen 450lb people get into cars and see the car sink 4" but a regular bike frame will probably snap or twist apart.

Here you go GHT. Man up and get it done.

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/3647901713.html

I'm selling my beloved blue 1998 Volvo V70 with leather interior. It has 240k miles on it and I've been told by mechanics that it has one of the best engines Volvo ever made, so it should easily make it to 300k. I just had a brand new exhaust manifold installed and it just passed MA inspection. It has heated front seats, power windows, and a CD player.

The accelerator is now stuck. From what I can tell by reading online, the accelerator cable either needs to get lubed up or replaced. It was gradually getting stuck more and more frequently, but now (thanks to the cold weather, I think), it is fully stuck all the way down, meaning the engine revs all the way up when turning it on. You'll need to tow it away unless you can lube it up on the spot. I'm sure it's a simple fix, but I bought a new car and don't feel like doing it.

92 volvo here, has 153k on it, runs and drives like a champ.rear wheel drive, auto with power everything sunroof and all. has a sticker. not the prettiest little thing but she does the job. could use some tires, put them on to pass a sticker they just passed. its a 1000$ car all day, if your in a bind this is the car, as thats why we bought it. call/text for questions

http://maine.craigslist.org/cto/3649255421.html

Originally Posted By: jhMalibu
Here you go GHT. Man up and get it done.

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/3647901713.html

I'm selling my beloved blue 1998 Volvo V70 with leather interior. It has 240k miles on it and I've been told by mechanics that it has one of the best engines Volvo ever made, so it should easily make it to 300k. I just had a brand new exhaust manifold installed and it just passed MA inspection. It has heated front seats, power windows, and a CD player.

The accelerator is now stuck. From what I can tell by reading online, the accelerator cable either needs to get lubed up or replaced. It was gradually getting stuck more and more frequently, but now (thanks to the cold weather, I think), it is fully stuck all the way down, meaning the engine revs all the way up when turning it on. You'll need to tow it away unless you can lube it up on the spot. I'm sure it's a simple fix, but I bought a new car and don't feel like doing it.

This!

Do it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back