Is $1800 for a 99 Cadillac DeVille a good deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Come on guys, you know what he wants to hear from you. Just say it and get it over with.

"It is a great Jeep, go for it!"

Actually I have been given cause for concern, but hemitom nailed it, she said she wants a Jeep, and brushed off the Caprice shown. She saw the pics of "Ken in Framingham's" Caprice, too.

I think I see this picture developing, could we maybe shift this t o"What are some trouble signs I should look for on the Jeep" when I actually evaulatee and spend some road time in this thing, prior to (and if) I exchange the TV and limited cash for the Title?

Also.. IF the sale went down, of this,

Jeep_zps3f821f4e.png

, the first things I would do are:

1. Drain and fill the ATF, in case there is some caught water. Would have ATF+4 on hand, and Google as to drain plug. You are right, you don't want water in there. And a drain and fill would be helpful anyways.
2. TAKE IT TO A CAR WASH and be SURE to get an UNDERCARRIAGE WASH, even if it is a machine wash that takes the car through on the rails.
3. MAYBE change the oil, and for sure CHECK the antifreeze. I have to wonder what kind of antifreeze it takes.
4. Put in Gumout Regane (double dose) since I may be short on the Redline SI-1, and add fresh gas. 87.
5. Vacuum the interior, and make sure the tires are inflated as they look.
6. Put the battery on the CTEK overnight when I get home, cables off of the Jeep. Disconnect is Negative off first, then Positive, IIRC.

Guys, this is how I can turn an unused TV and maybe about $500 cash into a vehicle of her choosing. I couda bought a POS $500 Cavalier all smashed up, somehow this one looks more appealing. And it runs and drives.. I don't know, some TLC?

And what about a place with a wand for an "Engine wash?" It looks clean?

Yes, I am between rock/hard place. And I will check out that seat belt, seatbelts never fit her anyways.. she was so big it was a struggle even withthe seatbelt extendd in the Volvo, so.. it only has to LOOK the part. To pass inspection of course it would be fixed and maybe extended, I will have to see,, ????

If this is like most Chrysler transmissions, there will not be a drain bolt on the transmission pan. There is likely no easy way to drain some of the fluid, so I probably wouldn't plan on that.

The suggestion is good to check the carpets. No $500-and-TV vehicle is worth getting health issues from mold. Frankly, I'm surprised that they disclosed that the Jeep was flooded.

You would need to change all the fluids. ALL of them. Both axles likely have water in them and the transmission probably does as well. You'll spend at least $500-1,000 (on top of the initial purchase) in getting this vehicle road-worthy again, and that's just doing simple things like brakes and fluids. That doesn't count any electrical repairs required because of water intrusion. Electrical gremlins will be a part of this Jeep for the rest of its life, even if they aren't there now.

I understand that you may only have $500 and a television to buy a car right now, but you also don't want to set yourself up for failure in the future, throwing good money after bad. Read up on escalation of commitment.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
If this is like most Chrysler transmissions, there will not be a drain bolt on the transmission pan. There is likely no easy way to drain some of the fluid, so I probably wouldn't plan on that.

The suggestion is good to check the carpets. No $500-and-TV vehicle is worth getting health issues from mold. Frankly, I'm surprised that they disclosed that the Jeep was flooded.

You would need to change all the fluids. ALL of them. Both axles likely have water in them and the transmission probably does as well. You'll spend at least $500-1,000 (on top of the initial purchase) in getting this vehicle road-worthy again, and that's just doing simple things like brakes and fluids. That doesn't count any electrical repairs required because of water intrusion. Electrical gremlins will be a part of this Jeep for the rest of its life, even if they aren't there now.

I understand that you may only have $500 and a television to buy a car right now, but you also don't want to set yourself up for failure in the future, throwing good money after bad. Read up on escalation of commitment.

Friend of mine has a 4.0 WJ with drain plug.

I'd be worried about the 99 head cracking, or it tossing a piston skirt.

Last edited:
33.gif

i dont even know where to begin. you want a sandy flooded jeep with very little history as a daily driver? please keep us informed on everything involved with this.

Last edited:
I think most of the regulars here just read these posts for comedic relief. Sure, it devalues the legitimacy of the entire Forum, but it's good for a few laughs too.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Well, if the WJ doesn't have a drain plug like the Volvo did... Let me read up on that.

Everyone seems to be sounding the alarm about "flood cars." Surely, there has to be some kind of a way to TELL if the car is bad? ??????????

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool

Everyone seems to be sounding the alarm about "flood cars." Surely, there has to be some kind of a way to TELL if the car is bad? ??????????

$1000 - check
"flood car" - check

Originally Posted By: cchase
I think most of the regulars here just read these posts for comedic relief. Sure, it devalues the legitimacy of the entire Forum, but it's good for a few laughs too.

Arrogant POS.

Who the [censored] are YOU to judge.

You feel the need to assassinate character.. POS.

Regardless of how he characterized your posts...

He didn't assassinate your character...we've all read your posts...we all watched you assassinate that poor Volvo by abusing it and by ignoring the advice of everyone on here...perhaps you should ignore this observation as effectively and completely as you ignored all that advice...

Originally Posted By: surfstar

$1000 - check
"flood car" - check

I have an idea....

What if, theoretically, I *did* buy/trade into this 99 Jeep, and then put it to the side, while I figured out how to use fluid extractors on the no drain plug trans, tried a proper coolant flush.. What if it stayed parked, and I could tinker with it? And THEN hand it back to Tina... since that whole angle comes AFTER the car.

I almost feel like my calling could/would/may be to play the "buy and sell" car game. Maybe. That second job is coming along, so, perhaps this could be city transportation in the meantime...

Let's say the car is as bad as everyone (and everyone has said, to be fair, to "don't do it") says it is, could there still be value for my set of circumstances?

I like this more than that $500 Cavalier, and maybe just maybe I could get this back into reliable service.

I didn't get this thing yet. Trying to simply have a good "think" about it. I get really excited when I see how good the rest of the car is.. a lot of NON-flood cars don't look that bad.

I actually wonder if this seller knows what he is talking about. He wants to accept a TV as trade, or Honda engine parts.. My guess is that he doesn't, and he just likes his hopped-up Civic more than the Jeep. NONE of us know how much, if any, water got in. I will touch the carpet and all that next time, yes........

Jeep_zps3f821f4e.png

Quote:
Im selling this 99 jeep grand Cherokee Laredo 155k miles it needs some work the factory alsrm will not go off so I unhooked the horns and was driving it around like that but during the sandy storm the jeep got wet the water went up to the bottom of the seats basically only on the floor it didnt go past the seat switch on the bottom on the seats but the truck still runs and it was being driven around but now we have a new jeep so this jeep has been sitting in the garage it still starts and is drivable .. im selling this jeep for $1,000 need this truck gone by friday or trade for a honda B, H, or K series vtec motor swap or for some Klutch wheels 4 lug 15" or 16" or trade for 47" or bigger flate screen hd tv or smart tv and cash

$1000 - check
"flood car" - check

I have an idea....

What if, theoretically, I *did* buy/trade into this 99 Jeep, and then put it to the side, while I figured out how to use fluid extractors on the no drain plug trans, tried a proper coolant flush.. What if it stayed parked, and I could tinker with it? And THEN hand it back to Tina... since that whole angle comes AFTER the car.

I almost feel like my calling could/would/may be to play the "buy and sell" car game. Maybe. That second job is coming along, so, perhaps this could be city transportation in the meantime...

Let's say the car is as bad as everyone (and everyone has said, to be fair, to "don't do it") says it is, could there still be value for my set of circumstances?

I like this more than that $500 Cavalier, and maybe just maybe I could get this back into reliable service.

I didn't get this thing yet. Trying to simply have a good "think" about it. I get really excited when I see how good the rest of the car is.. a lot of NON-flood cars don't look that bad.

I actually wonder if this seller knows what he is talking about. He wants to accept a TV as trade, or Honda engine parts.. My guess is that he doesn't, and he just likes his hopped-up Civic more than the Jeep. NONE of us know how much, if any, water got in. I will touch the carpet and all that next time, yes........

Jeep_zps3f821f4e.png

Quote:
Im selling this 99 jeep grand Cherokee Laredo 155k miles it needs some work the factory alsrm will not go off so I unhooked the horns and was driving it around like that but during the sandy storm the jeep got wet the water went up to the bottom of the seats basically only on the floor it didnt go past the seat switch on the bottom on the seats but the truck still runs and it was being driven around but now we have a new jeep so this jeep has been sitting in the garage it still starts and is drivable .. im selling this jeep for $1,000 need this truck gone by friday or trade for a honda B, H, or K series vtec motor swap or for some Klutch wheels 4 lug 15" or 16" or trade for 47" or bigger flate screen hd tv or smart tv and cash

all i see here is you talking to yourself. please once again continue along your merry way.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

$1000 - check
"flood car" - check

I have an idea....

Jeep_zps3f821f4e.png

Quote:

all i see here is you talking to yourself. please once again continue along your merry way.

No, I am not talking to myself. i am asking questions.

What say you, cptbarkley, as to my questions?

Do you think this Jeep would be a good tinkerer for me?

Because this Jeep is one that I can't see anything wrong with at this time.

Anyone else, anything smart to say?

Let's continue the *helpful* discussion, now that the peanut gallery has spoken.

*sigh* Look.. all colorful comments from the crayon box aside, I think it is best if I turn my television and limited cash into a pretty-looking Jeep. It would then be on me to work out all the bugs. Isn't that what being a mechanic that loves cars is all about?

I am Googling "WJ 4.0 Jeep Grand Cherokee drain plug" to confirm it isn't there. Let us first establish if I will need a fluid extractor.

No because it will get your back against a wall of invisible gremlins. You'd do well with something more mechanical, where the transmission is controlled by a throttle valve cable or vacuum modulator. Something OBD-I so you can pass inspection with hacked wiring, as long as it runs. Something where if a computer is toast, you can put another one in from a junkyard without reprogramming. (Mopars of y2k era= most likely NOT)

The flood jeep will not be a good "tinkerer" because you have poor impulse control and whatever you have into it you'll let go of for pennies on the dollar when you get mad at it. If you do want to learn about cars, the simpler is better. If you want reliability in a $1000 car with lots of interior room and an easy engine/ trans to work on, it's hard to beat a RWD Volvo with 4 cyl with room under the hood.

But if you must, get an old grand wagonneer. Keep it together and its value will only go up. It'll have a bullet proof and easily fixed engine/ trans with very little wiring/ computers to get flooded out or be troublesome.

jeep-grand-wagoneer-01.jpg

Originally Posted By: eljefino

No because it will get your back against a wall of invisible gremlins. You'd do well with something more mechanical, where the transmission is controlled by a throttle valve cable or vacuum modulator. Something OBD-I so you can pass inspection with hacked wiring, as long as it runs. Something where if a computer is toast, you can put another one in from a junkyard without reprogramming. (Mopars of y2k era= most likely NOT)

The flood jeep will not be a good "tinkerer" because you have poor impulse control and whatever you have into it you'll let go of for pennies on the dollar when you get mad at it. If you do want to learn about cars, the simpler is better. If you want reliability in a $1000 car with lots of interior room and an easy engine/ trans to work on, it's hard to beat a RWD Volvo with 4 cyl with room under the hood.

But if you must, get an old grand wagonneer. Keep it together and its value will only go up. It'll have a bullet proof and easily fixed engine/ trans with very little wiring/ computers to get flooded out or be troublesome.

jeep-grand-wagoneer-01.jpg

3I63Nb3H35L15G55K4d2rb8bc825de17f14c2.jpg

1973 Chevy Nova - $1000

1973 Chevy nova, 4 door, 6 cylinder engine, 43,000 miles, PS, Powerglide trans, new tires, carburetor just rebuilt, rear air shocks. Call Joe ***-***-0000. Asking 1000 firm.

?

Let's see. You lost $1600 on your last car in just a matter of weeks, plus all the unnecessary "maintenance" that you spent money on. And that car didn't even have much wrong with it. This Jeep has "DO NOT BUY ME" written all over it with big bold letters, but since it's only $1000 to begin with, I guess the most you will lose on it is $1000. Sounds like an improvement and move in the right direction.... NOT!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Let's see. You lost $1600 on your last car in just a matter of weeks, plus all the unnecessary "maintenance" that you spent money on. And that car didn't even have much wrong with it. This Jeep has "DO NOT BUY ME" written all over it with big bold letters, but since it's only $1000 to begin with, I guess the most you will lose on it is $1000. Sounds like an improvement and move in the right direction.... NOT!

I *juuust might* back out of this Jeep.

A part of me almost WANTS a POS to fix.

And, to get rid of my TV....

I *juuust might* back out of this Jeep.

A part of me almost WANTS a POS to fix.

And, to get rid of my TV....

Must...resist...one liner....arrrghh!!!!

I just texted the seller, to see where/if we are at (anywhere.)

I also found this B&M 80250 Automatic Transmission Universal Drain Plug Kit

31PDM5G59XL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I got that from this post: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/adding-trans-drain-plug-02-grand-42re-ideas-1183221/

Quote:
i have a 2002 grand cherokee 4.0L w/ 4 speed 42re auto trans 93k on it. I want to add a drain plug. ok find the lowest spot i got that part. as long as the pump is not in the way i guess. now what size and length bolt and washer should i use???? I dont know if there is a magnet inside im guessing there should be right ??? if not should i add one ? should i buy a kit or drill and tap myself? I'm guessing FINE THREAD is the way to go?? maybe a 5/8" head 1/2" shaft and about an 1" long or something with a copper,rubber or plastic washer?? I want a drain plug that screws into the pan thats why i will drill and tap it so i can drain the fluid as low as possible and not a plug that has another plug in it and sticks up inside preventing lower fluid not to drain. I can i just get about any size from a local parts store that sells oil drain plugs and use one of those? I've seen all different types and sizes for $2-$10 i guess thats all i need and a sharp set to cut the threads..????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back