2011 Honda Fit Maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mom has a 2011 Honda Fit Sport with about 22,000 miles on it. She wants to maintain it by the books. The owners manual on her 2005 Civic had a maintenance schedule in the back of it, the Fit owner's manual does not.

I found answers for everything else on google, but I have a couple questions.

What kind of spark plugs should I use for this car and at what interval should they be changed? I know the Civic uses Iridium plugs or something similar that are changed every 100k.

Also, when would the timing belt be changed on this car? I saw one source that mentioned 60k for a timing belt change. I thought the interval was closer to 90k?

Thanks!

There is no reason to worry about spark plugs before 100k on Hondas.
Use denso/NKG Iridium like you mentioned, they are the best out there.

I dont believe you change the belt until 125K unless its worn out , I am not a Honda expert but my accord didnt need anything changed until around 150k. Except for a power steering pump.

Just change the oil , monitor the car. She should be fine for few more years before anything needs replacement!

Last edited:
Honda Fit has a electronic Maintenance Minder system in it that tells you when to do all the maintenance based on your driving (there is no set interval). Some lights in the dash come on to signify which maintenance item is required. You can find which one that is in the back for your owners manual.

Their is also an oil life monitor, if your running conventional oil i would change it at 30-40%. If your running synthetic, it should be good to 5% easily.

Spark plugs are likely iridium or double platinum. Check the "specifications" section in your Fit manual. Pretty sure the Timing belt is between 90-110k

You did not say but if it is an automatic I would drain and fill with three quarts of ATF DW-1 Synthetic transmission fluid from Honda.

The 1.5L engine in the Fit has a timing CHAIN, not a belt guys. It does not need to be serviced. If driven properly, the chain should last the life of the car.

Thanks guys for the replies! That's why I couldn't find much info about timing belt replacement!
lol.gif

My next question was going to be about the transmission fluid. I know that the fluid for Honda transmissions is best bought from Honda. It is the automatic trans. How often should I change the fluid?

Any specific brake or power steering fluid needed for this car?

My mom puts about 10-11k miles a year on this car, most of it is around town driving with some highway. I'm using Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 oil in this car with a Bosch D+ filter. I'm letting the oil monitor go out to 5%. I didn't know the car had other lights for servicing on the dash. I will take a closer look at the manual tonight after class. I've been putting together a spreadsheet for the maintenance items and intervals for this car.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Thanks guys for the replies! That's why I couldn't find much info about timing belt replacement!
lol.gif

My next question was going to be about the transmission fluid. I know that the fluid for Honda transmissions is best bought from Honda. It is the automatic trans. How often should I change the fluid?

My mom puts about 10-11k miles a year on this car, most of it is around town driving with some highway. I'm using Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 oil in this car with a Bosch D+ filter. I'm letting the oil monitor go out to 5%. I didn't know the car had other lights for servicing on the dash. I will take a closer look at the manual tonight after class. I've been putting together a spreadsheet for the maintenance items and intervals for this car.
thumbsup2.gif

Personally with my Honda's:
I do drain/fills on all fluids (not engine oil) every 30k/3 years. I got a brake fluid flusher made from a PCV valve so flushing the brakes takes 10 minutes. Powersteering i just replace the fluid in the resivoir a couple times. For automatics, just do a simple drain and fill every 30k/3yr. Same with the coolant. A gallon of Honda coolant costs $20. After the 50/50 mix it costs $10 to drain and fill the Fit's small cooling system. Now THATS so cheap insurance haha

lol.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Im curious about something. How many miles are you at, when your oil life monitor shows you 5%??

techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/TK6111/TK61111OM.pdf

Page 245-253 (251-259 of the pdf)

lol.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: wkcars
techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/TK6111/TK61111OM.pdf

Page 245-253 (251-259 of the pdf)

All this info is in the owners manual. The OP needs to flip through it.

The MM (Maintenance Minder) system will tell you when to change various fluids and do various services. If you want to follow the maintenance schedules set by Honda, wait until the proper service code is displayed and then service the car.

I personally choose to follow my own personal service intervals based on personal experience over the years but you really can't go wrong by following Honda's MM system.

Not sure yet on how long the oil life monitor goes on mileage. I just put in some Mobil 1 0w20 and will run it until 5%. She had three free dealership oil changes when she bought the car, and changed it at the 30% mark on the monitor. I just did the last change myself at exactly 22,000. The car has 22,200 something currently. I'm going to be watching the odometer and see how the mileage compares to the oil life monitor.

I will probably do drain and fills at 30k or 3 years like another poster above does. That is what I do on the 05 Civic which is now my sister's car.

Originally Posted By: Artem

All this info is in the owners manual. The OP needs to flip through it.

The MM (Maintenance Minder) system will tell you when to change various fluids and do various services. If you want to follow the maintenance schedules set by Honda, wait until the proper service code is displayed and then service the car.

I personally choose to follow my own personal service intervals based on personal experience over the years but you really can't go wrong by following Honda's MM system.

I've never actually seen the manual. I'm just going by what she said. I'm assuming she just flipped to the back, didn't see a maintenance schedule and told me it didn't have one. I'm going to flip through it when I get home, but like you I like to make my own maintenance schedules based on the products I use and the driving I do.

Thanks everyone for the help!
thumbsup2.gif

It does have a maintenance schedule in the back.

Watch out for the battery, brake pads, and OEM tires. Batteries are known to die at 2-3 years, OEM tires need replacing at 20-25k miles, and some 09-12 Fits were known to eat front brake pads. Ours has required yearly front brake servicing because the pads dust a lot and squeal when the groove fills up with brake dust. I remove the dust, lubricate everything, and re-assemble.

Don't forget to adjust the drum brakes. The drums on ours were poorly adjusted from the factory, and we adjusted the drums at about 20k miles. The OEM brake pads have 60k miles and counting.

On the 2009 that I've serviced, the Maint Minder seems to call for a scheduled service every 10-11k, regardless of conditions.

I drain/refill the ATF every 30k (exactly 3 qt each time) with either DW-1 or Z1, engine and cabin filters every 20k (very pricey for this car, check eBay for the generic Champ branded filters), brake flush every 3 years, and replaced the 12v battery with a new OE one after 4 years. The rear drums should be cleaned/lubed/adjusted about every 30k or else they will get a bit noisy.

The belt appears to be EPDM and still has plenty of material remaining after 72k, and I plan to leave it on until about 110k. At that time, I'll also do the spark plugs (must remove windshield cowl), valve adjustment and coolant.

The older I get (still not old), the more austere I get, and I've decided that I will begin servicing our CR-V according to the MM, with only a few exceptions:

1) According to the MM, you change the filter every other time, with the "B" service. I change it every time..

2) In addition to items listed on the "B" service, I also drain-and-fill the AT and PS fluids.

That's pretty much it. I used to follow my own (and very conservative) ritual, but have relieved myself of the burden of tracking that stuff and simply do as the car asks now. It does ask for brake fluid every 3 years, and I probably will change the coolant at the same time interval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back