Marvel Mystery oil as a flush

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it make sense to dump a quart of MM with fresh oil and high idle like with other flushes for 15-20 minutes?
Or, does it work better when used as per "instructions" I try to flush 2.5 L Nissan Altima engine with 85,000 km (it's been taken good care of) but dont want to 'Auto RX it' and since I hear that some of the quick flushes are harsh on seals I want to use something gentler.
Has any of you guys tried to use it as a flush??

Quick flushes aren't harsh on seals.

Marvel won't do much in 15-20 minutes. If you want to add a pint and drive 500 miles or so, then go for it. Or, use a pint at every oil change.

Yeah I'd do what unDummy said if you want to clean your engine. I'm don't think it could be too dirty, though.

I've used MMO as a flush ... but since the engines I service are usually extremely well taken care of, I use it sparingly; only 2-3 ounces per 4-5 quart sump.

I usually run it for a week (100-200 miles) before draining.

However, I won't use this stuff prior to a UOA as I'm afraid it could distort the results in a number of ways.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

Most of your OTC flush's are only in the engine for 5 mnute with the longest being 15 minutes. The engine is always cold to start. They are not harsh at all especialy when used as directed! IF you wanted to use Golden Eagle, Gunk,Amsoil flush's just follow the directions. You never drive the vechile with an OTC flush in it.

MMO is so mild that you would have to drive around with a quart of MMO in your engine for 1000 miles or more to see any benifit. Most people that use MMO in the engine leave a quart of MMO in the engine for the entire oil change interval as per the directions. If you did this once every few year it will not hurt anything. I am preety sure though that you will get increased wear as compared to not haveing it in.

I would personally never use MMO in the crankcase. If I was going to use an oil additive at all, I'd rather use something like LC. As far as flushes go, he's right, just follow instructions. *Usually* this involves doing it right before an oil change, dump the flush into the crankcase with the old oil and IDLE it for ~5 mins. I used Gold Eagle with OK results, some time ago, it won't hurt anything.

I would use MMO just before an oil change, but the idea of using it for an entire OCI is suspect to me.

I'd be interested to know what it would do to your viscosity, TBN, Flash Point, etc. I'd be willing to bet that your car manufacturer wouldn't recommend it, and neither would a manufacturer of engine oil.

I just don't know...but you wouldn't catch me testing this theory on my engine.

Now..if someone like Terry Dyson thought it was a good idea, I might consider it.

Car manufacturers wouldn't recommend anything that they don't sell.

I've used MMO during an OCI in various vehicles. It will slowly clean sludge, reduce certain noises, and has made several engines run better.

I can't say it did or didn't affect the visc/TBN/Flashpoint.... But, unless someone proves that it did in a negative way, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Nothing on the MMO can sugests it's use as a quick flush! It say to add in place of a quart of oil at the oil change. SO they are telling you to add it in place of a quart of oil!

I left MMO in for 500 miles and it did not do any noticeable cleaning! So I really wounder were you guys are getting the idea to use it as a quick flush! While I am not keen on useing MMO in the engine for an entire OCI it is the manufactures recomended procedure.

I agree LC and ARX are my first two choices but he asked about MMO!

for a MMO flush, i'd be thinking like 50%MMO + 50% straight 30wt oil. maybe for 20 minuts with a few revs... But I have no idea if this would be "safe" for an engine, just seems like a high concentration of MMO might be capable of doing some cleaning... I just worry about it's lubricity/viscosity and whether or not it will sieze and engine in this quantity.

Don't do that. Flush it with an inexpensive flush right before you change the oil, if you're going to flush it at all. If you actually have sludge problems, you could perhaps start running a mild additive in with your oil.

yea, some folks run a little in the crankcase all the time- works as a gentle long-term way to reduce buildup..

As I recall... someone got a responce from MMO- was something in the order that it will prevent an engine from producing new deposits, and very slowly loosen up old ones, but not to expect any immediate results with it.. I think MMO,, would be a great long-term style solution.. Say, you buy a new car, pop the hood, poor a few ounces into the crankcase. Then mix at recomended ratio in fuel. And continue using it for the life of the vehicle in very small quantities in the crank/fuel, then you will have a cleaner engine than most people who did not. And having some minor lubricity in the oil will have reduced upper cylinder/ring wear a little. I don't think it can be used in any short duration to achieve noticable results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back