Spring Oil Change - 2012 Challenger R/T 5.7L Hemi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to change the oil in a few weeks on my 2012 Dodge Challenger R/T with the 5.7L Hemi. It is a 6-speed manual so it does NOT have MDS. Has about 5,000 miles on it, and one oil change at 3,500 miles with regular Pennzoil yellow bottle at dealership.

You can pretty much guess what's coming...

Engine is speced for 5w20. I plan on taking it to the track a few times this year. It's a 6-speed so there's plenty of higher-revving, downshifting, rev matching, etc. that goes on that wouldn't with an auto. No MDS concerns.

Was thinking of 5w30 Castrol Edge Titanium (Gold Bottle). Thoughts on the oil for the application? Stick with 5w20? Any Hemi owners with an experience with either in a performance application? Any common trends with the 5.7L where certain oils have a better track record than others?

Im running T5 rotella 10w30 in both. Everyone will tell you to run 5w20. The metric oil filter on your hemi is smaller than the standard filter. I ran a fram in a pinch lost some oil pressure at hwy speed. When I ran a metric filter I ran a napa 1592. After I changed the filter nipple it alowed me to run a 1-16 thread, now i run a 6.7 powerstroke napa filter. The challenger burned oil till it hit 20k, Then stopped completely burning any noticable amount. When it burned oil it was like a qt every 1400 miles or so. I can see my oil pressure and temp in info center on dash. That fram took about 5 psi at 75mph off my oil pressure. I ran the pureone metric filter and pressure was normal. I did not gain any pressure with the 6.7 filter. I like larger filters with better micron ratings.

Im glad you used a simple conventional oil for your first oil change.

If your planning on tracking it, try a Redline 10w-30 or 5w-30. For a cheaper 10w-30, you could check out Pennzoil Ultra. Its probably the strongest "walmart oil" 10w-30 on the market. Rotella T5 10w-30 is very good as well for shorter oil changes.

For normal spirited usage. How does Redline 5w-20 sound? Its the same strength, if not stronger than the Castrol Edge Titanium 5w-30 yet keeps the recommended viscosity. Also the Redline has around 50% more ZDDP and 500% more Moly!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Highline9
Im running T5 rotella 10w30 in both. Everyone will tell you to run 5w20. The metric oil filter on your hemi is smaller than the standard filter. I ran a fram in a pinch lost some oil pressure at hwy speed. When I ran a metric filter I ran a napa 1592. After I changed the filter nipple it alowed me to run a 1-16 thread, now i run a 6.7 powerstroke napa filter. The challenger burned oil till it hit 20k, Then stopped completely burning any noticable amount. When it burned oil it was like a qt every 1400 miles or so. I can see my oil pressure and temp in info center on dash. That fram took about 5 psi at 75mph off my oil pressure. I ran the pureone metric filter and pressure was normal. I did not gain any pressure with the 6.7 filter. I like larger filters with better micron ratings.

K. So wouldn't the 5 pounds of pressure lost mean that the oil is flowing faster through the filter,meaning more volume,since less pressure means less restriction equals more volume of oil pumped with less resistance.
And your complaining. Funny.
K OP. if you are tracking that think I would use M1 0w-40. Day to day driving any 20 grade will do.
My hemi has over 260k on bulk dealer oil changes. Never even syn til I got it.
Pennzoil is formulating an oil made for the hemi engines. Once its released use it.
No MDS really opens up your choices,and these engines are happy with most anything.
If it were mine I'd use either tgmo 0w-20 or 0w-20 Mobil AFE mixed 50/50 with m1 0w-40.
I've got eneos 0w-20 and m1 0w-40 in my truck now and I think I love it.

Originally Posted By: AWESOMO4000
Looking to change the oil in a few weeks on my 2012 Dodge Challenger R/T with the 5.7L Hemi. It is a 6-speed manual so it does NOT have MDS. Has about 5,000 miles on it, and one oil change at 3,500 miles with regular Pennzoil yellow bottle at dealership.

You can pretty much guess what's coming...

Engine is speced for 5w20. I plan on taking it to the track a few times this year. It's a 6-speed so there's plenty of higher-revving, downshifting, rev matching, etc. that goes on that wouldn't with an auto. No MDS concerns.

Was thinking of 5w30 Castrol Edge Titanium (Gold Bottle). Thoughts on the oil for the application? Stick with 5w20? Any Hemi owners with an experience with either in a performance application? Any common trends with the 5.7L where certain oils have a better track record than others?

I'd be careful at a real road course event as the 5.7 does not have a fully baffled oil pan like the 6.1's do. But my friend Pat ran one in canada for over two years of regular road course work without incident.

For the track? M1 0W-40 is an excellent choice... cheap and easy to find.

Dunno - I'd be reluctant to use other than the specified viscosity during the warranty period. There are lots of good synthetic 5w/20s out there...

I would pick either Amsoil or Red Line. Order off the web and it's brought to your front door so availability isn't an issue. I would change out the trans and rear while I was at it. I also like Water Wetter and might add that in also.

No MDS? M1 0w40, just like the 6.1 got from the factory before Chrysler switched to SOPUS factory fill oils.

In my mind, its either that or a quality 5w20. Why screw around with an Xw30 oil at all- not sufficiently different than an Xw20, and Xw20s tend to have superb viscosity stability.

I'm currently a fan of three filters on the market. In no particular order: Purolator Synthetic, Fram Ultra, and Royal Purple. All three have wire-backed, low-restriction synthetic "depth" type media (as opposed to cellulose "surface" filtering media), high quality ADB valves. The only ding against any of them is the thin shell on the Purolator, and the plastic bypass valve on the Fram. So I guess the RP wins by a nose, but really I would (and do) use the three interchangeably.

Last edited:
K. So wouldn't the 5 pounds of pressure lost mean that the oil is flowing faster through the filter,meaning more volume,since less pressure means less restriction equals more volume of oil pumped with less resistance.

Let me make this more clear. I changed the oil and filter with 5w20. I went to put on the new oil filter, it would not go on. The filter was a PL30001 3\4-16. I thought my challenger used the same filter as my commander. Its not the same, the challenger uses a metric 22x1.5. In a pinch I grabbed a fram TG2 and put that filter on. Engine ran fine. On hwy I looked at the oil pressure and noticed it was in the upper forty psi range, That is the lowest I have every seen the oil pressure at that rpm. I replaced the fram filter with a wix 1372 and the oil pressure went back up to the normal 54 psi. The oil pressure sender is located after the filter not before. That fram filter restricted the flow compared to the wix. I have not had a oil pressure loss problem with any other filter. The fram filter does not flow enough for this engine.

Last edited:

Let me make this more clear. I changed the oil and filter with 5w20. I went to put on the new oil filter, it would not go on. The filter was a PL30001 3\4-16. I thought my challenger used the same filter as my commander. Its not the same, the challenger uses a metric 22x1.5. In a pinch I grabbed a fram TG2 and put that filter on. Engine ran fine. On hwy I looked at the oil pressure and noticed it was in the upper forty psi range, That is the lowest I have every seen the oil pressure at that rpm. I replaced the fram filter with a wix 1372 and the oil pressure went back up to the normal 54 psi. The oil pressure sender is located after the filter not before. That fram filter restricted the flow compared to the wix. I have not had a oil pressure loss problem with any other filter. The fram filter does not flow enough for this engine.

If the oil pressure pickup is AFTER the filter(and I'll guess it is), means the filter is impeding oil flow... Any filter that reduces pressure noticeably on one of my Fords goes into the trash...

I find it interesting how high Dodge oil pressure is normally. My GTO sees a Max of 70psi hot on light 40wts and 43psi at normal highway speeds. Most Dodge's I see run 80+ at cold startup in 80 degree temp weather, where I see 40-45psi.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
No MDS? M1 0w40, just like the 6.1 got from the factory before Chrysler switched to SOPUS factory fill oils.

Just note that the new 6.4 SRT V8 has MDS and still specs 40w oil.

MDS is nearly impervious to oil selection, it is extremely tolerant.

With a spec sheet like this i wouldn't buy the Castrol for a snow blower.
Lousy pour point for a supposed synthetic and just OK for specs. No thanks.

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/D0C6FAFF42BBE30C80257AA900537550/$File/PDS_Edge_with_Ti.pdf

Mobil 1 0w40 or the PU 0w40 sold through the dealer network. Compare the PDS on these two to the Castrol there is no comparison.
My personal preference is PU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back