Is Pennzoil Platinum enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to start this new post because nobody seemed to notice Falcon_LS's photographs in the post 'I tried Auto-RX for 1,500 miles...'

He said that he tried a special engine cleaning product for 22,000 miles (4 cleaning routines) and did not get much in the way of results. He physically cleaned parts of the engine and then he tried Pennzoil Platinum motor oil for about 3,800 miles. Sure he did some physical cleaning on the engine, but not that much. If you check out the photographs he took in the post 'I tried Auto-RX for 1,500 miles...' it is AMAZING how well the Pennzoil Platinum motor oil cleaned the engine.

I dare to say that the typical engine cleaning product will probably not do any better than the Pennzoil Platinum. I am not saying that the engine is perfectly clean, but it is greatly improved. Unless a person is blind they should be able to see the difference. I am impressed enough I am going to use Pennzoil Platinum in my next oil change.

To get even better results a person might combine the Pennzoil Platinum with Neutra, MMO or Kreen. Or do engine flushes with Amsoil nonsolvent engine flush or Lubegard nonsolvent engine flush before doing another oil change with Pennzoil Platinum.

Personally I will try just the Pennzoil Platinum by itself. If it turns really dark I will assume it is cleaning and maybe use a nonsolvent engine flush the next time I change the oil. But a few short OCI oil changes with Pennzoil Platinum might be enough to clean an engine.

Look for yourself at the photographs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mystic
If it turns really dark I will assume it is cleaning

Only the best, non-biased, rigorously tested scientific methods here on BITOG.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RiceCake
If it turns really dark I will assume it is cleaning

Only the best, non-biased, rigorously tested scientific methods here on BITOG.

LAWL!!!! That's a bit cruel, but certainly to the point. One cannot ASSUME cleaning. There needs to be actual evidence
smile.gif

I have had some pretty good results with PP and MMO at the end of the oci. I have also had pretty good results just running PP for an 8k oci. Heres a filter pic after an oci with PP.

20130115_124807.jpg

20130115_120313.jpg

Go ahead, make fun of me and contribute nothing to this discussion!

Falcon_LS obtained some photographic evidence that Pennzoil Platinum actually did some cleaning. Did you bother to look at the photographs? Did you notice that the engine seems much cleaner? Look closer the next time. Notice things like color of metal and how a lot of the darker material seems to be gone.

And any good motor oil will turn dark, but if it turns dark very quickly that might be evidence that it is cleaning. Seem reasonable?

And Pennzoil openly claims that Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra (if they still make it) clean better than other motor oils. They have some evidence to back that up. Go to their website and see for yourself.

And electrolover is also obtaining positive results, both using just Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Platinum and MMO. So laugh about that.

Last edited:
I will give Pennzoil Platinum a try. The only thing I worry about is that if it cleans that well maybe I will get a seal leak if the seals are worn or dried out. But there are products that can help with that. I have 107,000 miles on my Saturn Ion and I assume that the engine might be somewhat dirty. The Pennzoil Platinum by itself may do a good enough job of cleaning. If so, that is easy-just an oil change.

Otherwise if a person needed cleaning beyond that MMO, Neutra, or Kreen could be combined with the Pennzoil Platinum. Or a person could use engine flushes before the oil change.

Falcon_LS obtained some photographic evidence that Pennzoil Platinum actually did some cleaning. Did you bother to look at the photographs? Did you notice that the engine seems much cleaner? Look closer the next time. Notice things like color of metal and how a lot of the darker material seems to be gone.

And any good motor oil will turn dark, but if it turns dark very quickly that might be evidence that it is cleaning. Seem reasonable?

And Pennzoil openly claims that Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra (if they still make it) clean better than other motor oils. They have some evidence to back that up. Go to their website and see for yourself.

And electrolover is also obtaining positive results, both using just Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Platinum and MMO. So laugh about that.

I'm thinking more of you doing what electro is doing and posting the contents of the filter. That's what I did with my Mobil 1 runs and I got the same sort of crud out of my Expedition for quite a while until it eventually tapered off and stopped.
smile.gif

The car i referenced made the oil dark with in a 1000 miles the first run. Today it has 3000 miles on it's current fill of PP and its still gold. I think color does indcate cleaning. Theres actually a difference in color between an oil aging and when its cleaning out contaminates as well. Its hard to explain but oil that has a lot of stuff in suspension is more opaque rather than just dark.

Heres the thread on the kia running PU and PP
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...477#Post2658477

Last edited:
I will give Pennzoil Platinum a try. The only thing I worry about is that if it cleans that well maybe I will get a seal leak if the seals are worn or dried out. But there are products that can help with that. I have 107,000 miles on my Saturn Ion and I assume that the engine might be somewhat dirty. The Pennzoil Platinum by itself may do a good enough job of cleaning. If so, that is easy-just an oil change.

Otherwise if a person needed cleaning beyond that MMO, Neutra, or Kreen could be combined with the Pennzoil Platinum. Or a person could use engine flushes before the oil change.

I believe that PP (and better yet PU) will do a pretty good job of cleaning an engine over time. It all depends upon what kind of sludge it is. Not all sludge is created equal. PU is still sold in some Walmarts, but not others. No one seems to know why.

All synthetic oils will condition seals which is what you want if you get a leak. In almost all cases the leak will go away. Basically there is a false seal in front of the actual seal that is made of crud. It does some sealing but prevents the actual seal from being conditioned. The new synthetic oil cleans the false seal and the actual seal leaks until it gets some conditioning.

Forget the MMO, let PP or PU do its thing.

If you are going to do a few short OCI's to try to clean things up, just use PYB with FRAM orange cans.

I decided to start this new post because nobody seemed to notice Falcon_LS's photographs in the post 'I tried Auto-RX for 1,500 miles...'

He said that he tried a special engine cleaning product for 22,000 miles (4 cleaning routines) and did not get much in the way of results. He physically cleaned parts of the engine and then he tried Pennzoil Platinum motor oil for about 3,800 miles. Sure he did some physical cleaning on the engine, but not that much. If you check out the photographs he took in the post 'I tried Auto-RX for 1,500 miles...' it is AMAZING how well the Pennzoil Platinum motor oil cleaned the engine.

I dare to say that the typical engine cleaning product will probably not do any better than the Pennzoil Platinum. I am not saying that the engine is perfectly clean, but it is greatly improved. Unless a person is blind they should be able to see the difference. I am impressed enough I am going to use Pennzoil Platinum in my next oil change.

To get even better results a person might combine the Pennzoil Platinum with Neutra, MMO or Kreen. Or do engine flushes with Amsoil nonsolvent engine flush or Lubegard nonsolvent engine flush before doing another oil change with Pennzoil Platinum.

Personally I will try just the Pennzoil Platinum by itself. If it turns really dark I will assume it is cleaning and maybe use a nonsolvent engine flush the next time I change the oil. But a few short OCI oil changes with Pennzoil Platinum might be enough to clean an engine.

Look for yourself at the photographs.

Are they getting rid of PU? I hope not...

I'd use PU without anything else if you can find it. PP is great, too, but PP plus MMO = PU in price anyways.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I'm thinking more of you doing what electro is doing and posting the contents of the filter. That's what I did with my Mobil 1 runs and I got the same sort of crud out of my Expedition for quite a while until it eventually tapered off and stopped.
smile.gif

Overkill has a very good point here. Mobil has some oils that are very good at cleaning as well. I dont how they compare in terms of time, but with either brand patience is key. Just switching over to a good syn for the life of a car can be very good if its been abused in the past

That finger is frightening. It is NOT emulsified. Its hardened rough looking mass like chunks. Get that in the VVT and your screwed. What was the combo that caused that again?

That oci was PP only with a TG filter.
Its hard to get something that big threw an oil filter...even a fram. Dont freak out

I'm going to have nightmares of my engine screaming in agony as that gritty finger de-hones the cylinder walls and grabs the cam shaft by its bearings!!!

If I owned a car that needed cleaning, I would probably do the same as what I do with my new cars. I'd start out with one oil, then feel like trying another one out because of good mojo on bitog. I would then change to another for the same reason on the next OCI.

The end result would be a much cleaner engine. The different formulations of cleansers would attack the deposits in their own unique ways, at full concentration, one at a time. I follow the same theory with gasoline.

The same goes for war. Bomb them, then shell them, perhaps some cruise missiles and then frontal assault.

Why is it some feel their engine is dirty or in need of cleaning . An engine will always have some accumulation of crud , varnish or whatever but rarely if ever will it cause an issue during the life of that engine . As long as one does resonable length OCI's using the recommended oil viscosity and and of course a known brand of oil filter what can happen unless there is a mechanical failure in the oiling system (pump , pickup tube falls off)or excess oil contamination by antifreeze or fuel?

In the case the engine has rarely or never had oil changes , well that would be the exception.......otherwise.....

NOTHING ! , your engine will be perfectly fine
laugh.gif

Last edited:
There are plenty of documented cases where people have taken good care of cars and had the sludge up or serious varnish accumulation that impeded the performance of the engine. Do a little searching before making blanket statements

There is one other thing. Assuming that Pennzoil Platinum or Pennzoil Ultra (if you can find it) will clean an engine, some say that no oil will clean the rings. So maybe a person would still need something, like MMO in the gasoline or BG-44K to really get the entire engine clean. The upper part of the engine might need a special cleaner.

At the Pennzoil website they claim that in actual testing the Pennzoil Ultra and Pennzoil Platinum outperformed other motor oils such as Mobil 1 and Valvoline Synpower and Castrol Edge in cleaning. The Pennzoil Ultra outperformed the Pennzoil Platinum. Also, both of those outperformed Pennzoil conventional motor oil in cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back