Vortec 5.7 rear main seal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at a '99 Suburban with the 5.7. It has a drip at the rear main seal. My understanding is that these are one-piece seals, but that 2-piece replacements are available. Anyone done this?

You have to pull the trans to replace it. The one piece design is better then the old two piece design, and it's easier to replace.

The best course of action would be to replace the seals, but I would first try a High Mileage oil such as MaxLife.

Yet another example of where a high mileage vehicle has worn seals.

Originally Posted By: MarkM66
You have to pull the trans to replace it. The one piece design is better then the old two piece design, and it's easier to replace.

Not easier to replace when the old 2 pc seals could be "Chinese fingered" out without tranny removal.

The one piece seals are silicone rubber. I don't know how the silicone rubber responds to seal swellers as compared to nitrile rubber.

Yes, the 2 piece seals are junkola IMO. Might as well pull the trans and do it right with the one piece. I watched a friend play around for 3 hours with those 2 piece seals and button it up and then leak a week later.
smirk.gif

That said...puling a 4L60/80 trans is not rocket science. Just rent a good trans jack and a 200ft lb impact gun and have at it.

TIP:(1) service the trans while it is out (replace both front & rear seals). (2) grease the inside of the driveshaft yoke spline with teflon grease while it is out.

There is an adapter to swap an older crankshaft into a Vortec motor. This converts the block to a two piece seal, however this will not work with the current one piece crankshaft.

Originally Posted By: asand1
There is an adapter to swap an older crankshaft into a Vortec motor. This converts the block to a two piece seal, however this will not work with the current one piece crankshaft.

Ah, OK. As it turns out, I won't be buying this one. The guy started it up, sounded pretty good. He says, "I don't want to run it too long because of the leak." I turned it off, and checked the oil. A quart low, and black as coal. I told him it wouldn't hurt to run it a quart low, and started it up. This time it didn't sound so good.

"What's that knocking?" I asked.

"I don't know," says he, "I never heard it before."

Horsefeathers. By this time the engine is going KLUNK-KLUNK-KLUNK-KLUNK-KLUNK, and I know why he's got a bad oil seal. I don't know how he thinks he's going to palm this one off on anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back