shorten oci after having an engine open?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a lot of you know I just got my explorer out of the shop. They changed both valve cover gaskets, the lower oil pan gasket, pcv and the airfilter.
The tech refilled the engine with PU and installed a Distance+ filter.
Is there any reason I should shorten the oci? I would think the filter will catch any contaminates but im not as schooled on UOAs as some of you.

I was actually kinda wanting to run it 8k or more...

Shorten? Any synthetic worth it's salt should go 10K without a problem new gaskets are no.

Im not worried about the oil. Im worried about high silicon levels from dust or whatever getting in the engine and the new airfilter.....but im not sure if its even worth worrying about. It has a pretty good oil filter..
I would hate to accelerate wear because of foreign contaminates.

If you do UOA, I would take a sample at 1000 miles just to see how much [censored] got in the inside of the engine. Personally, I take samples by catching oil from the stream as it drains, i.e. I would change it.

Originally Posted By: electrolover
Im not worried about the oil. Im worried about high silicon levels from dust or whatever getting in the engine and the new airfilter.....but im not sure if its even worth worrying about. It has a pretty good oil filter..
I would hate to accelerate wear because of foreign contaminates.

I would not worry about the silicon it would not cause excess wear that would doom the engine in my opinion. If you poured a bag of sand down your oil fill hole in your engine and only had a quart of oil how many hours would your engine run?

Now how much damage could a 100 ppm of sand could do?

In the real world any "chunks" that fall into the engine usually find a corner to hide and remain there the remainder of the engines life, the filter should catch anything big enough to cause a issue...

I wouldn't worry about it honestly. Now if there was some internal engine work performed thats another story.
Engines are not that fragile, back in the day open breather tubes and cheap little filters in the oil filler cap were the norm. Talk about letting junk in.

Thanks for the comments guys. I guess Im gonna go ahead and stretch it out instead of dumping early.

The best reason to do it is your peace of mind. That plus the fact that everyone here is an oil head so any excuse to change your oil is a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back