Which oil for a hi-revved CRF50, big-bored?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im looking for a oil that can be used in the winter time and an oil that can be ran in the heat of summer. These are air cooled engines that have a big bore on them ( 88cc ). They are run mid-top throttle and rev pretty high IMO. Im running Honda GN4 now ( and since rebuild, about 3 rides on the motor, 8-10hrs ) The oil has been changed three times since the rebuild. Im just looking for something that isnt 24 a gallon for basic oil just with Honda's name on it...

Form time to time I hear and read about synthetic oil ( w/o modifiers ) will cause a clutch to slip etc. Its not good to mix non-syn and syn oil and so on.

So can I get a recommendation for winter oil and summer oil?

No sny will not cause clutch slip. I have no problem with it in my xr. Id personally reccomend rotella 5w40 wintertime and 15w40 summer

Any 15w40 Diesel oil will work fine. They dont have all the friction modifiers that the auto oils have. Rest assured, there is nothing you will do that oil that a twin turbo doesnt do to it for 10,000 miles.

I'd be more worried about the bottom end not holding up with a big bore kit over what oil to use. The stock rev limiter is 9800 rpm, but the stock engine runs out of steam long before that. With a big bore kit, you'll probably hit it, but I'd worry about twisting the crank. That being said, any of the diesel oils will work as well as the Honda oil.

Thanks. So all oil have friction modifiers in it, but is it certain ones that dont work well with wet clutches? Or the oil has ZERO in it, thus why we use it..

edited: Also I was thinking is it too thick to use that oil in the bike? wOuld it be able to flow it fine? At what temp should I use the 15w40? above 60-70?

Last edited:
IVe ran three of these and never twisted the crank. They are VERY robust, and you wouldnt think so. But Ive never heard of anyone neither doing that with an 88 big bore.

From a viscosity chart I can run 15w40 all year long. I don't ride it when its cold out. I right just start it to get the engine moving, but it won't get ridden until its around 40 or so out. Also what do I want, t, t1 or t6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back