$88.97 for Grass Seed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know a lawn Wizard that swears by the "Contractor's mix". He said that it grows better and has a variety of grasses in it...you may not get the TV lawn, but you saved an awful lot per bag.

I like my mix of grass and broad-leaf green stuff. I overseed a different area each year, but I have no real need for every last inch of my coverage to specifically. E grass.

yeap, I went to menards last year and I posted a thread, darn fert-li-zer was like $50 or something for a bag.
I bought my grass seeds from costco. $28 I think last year

Why would you purchase one of the most expensive brands of grass seed (Scotts) from one of the most expensive grass seed suppliers?

I've been looking at reseeding our acre sized front yard this spring because of the drought, and a good quality bluegrass/fescue mix at our local farm store is just over 1/3 the price for the same 50 pounds.

If I bring my own gunny sacks I can get it in bulk for even less.

Actually, the price for Merkava's grass seed is not too much out of line at about $2.22 per pound (40lb. bag). The picture shows turf type tall fescue which is a completely different animal than "regular" fescues used in bluegrass blends(bluegrass/fescue/rye). Adding more insult, turf type tall fescue seeding rate per 1000 sq. ft. is much higher than the others.

Yea, with Scotts you do have to watch out for paying for the brand recognition.

At my workplace, I get bulk (50lb.) grass seed at "jobbers rates" and pay about the following: (Consumer $ would be more. Seed prices are up this year due to the 2012 drought).

- Top quality bluegrass blends (bluegrass/rye/fescue: $2.00 per lb. +/-
- Turf Type Tall Fescue: $1.55/lb.
- "Lesser" cultivars (DOT roadside mixes, etc): $1.00 to $1.50/lb.

Many homeowners are woefully under educated about turf seed. You generally get what you pay for. Very cheap usually means more annual ryegrass or other very cheap cultivar seed. You need to read the label and know what it means, no way to get around it.

I like to buy seed from commercial suppliers for the known quality, not Big Box or chain farm stores. Seed blended for your region is best.

Two that I use are:

- John Deere Landscapes (Formerly Lesco) https://www.johndeerelandscapes.com/
_ Earth Carpet Seed (dealers): http://www.earthcarpet.com/ They have over a dozen different mixes to meet every need.

Of course there's lots of others, depending on your location and convenience.

Your land grant university ag. extension is a good place to start regarding cultivars that are good for YOUR area.

Pop Rivet, please show me the label of the grass seed you can get for $0.60 per pound.

Originally Posted By: Donald
If I spread grass seed today, it would be on top of snow.
I do "frost-seeding"....if I broadcast seed I do it around Thanksgiving or before the snow flies here. Great germination rate compared to spring planting...this is dryland farming here.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
I know a lawn Wizard that swears by the "Contractor's mix". He said that it grows better and has a variety of grasses in it...you may not get the TV lawn, but you saved an awful lot per bag.

It is fast growing, but some of the seed is annual. NOT for long term use.

I am sure there are certain folks who think people who buy Amsoil or Redline oil are nuts too for something you throw away.

smile.gif

I concur Scott's is expensive but experience has been positive with their stuff. Off brand stuff has been really good or bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back