"New Formulation" Autozone Duralast Gold Brake Pad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the reply. I might just go with regular Duralast Gold $35 because Gold Severe Duty pads might be harder on the rotors and the pads might not last as long, and regular golds will probably be quieter as you said. But I might buy the SDs anyway though, to heck with noise, shorter life, rotor wear since the pads are lifetime and I can get lifetime rotors at Orielly's, so if enough high temp brake lubricant can quiet the SDs to almost silent, that's be fine I think

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: danwat1234
Thanks for the reply. I might just go with regular Duralast Gold $35 because Gold Severe Duty pads might be harder on the rotors and the pads might not last as long, and regular golds will probably be quieter as you said. But I might buy the SDs anyway though, to heck with noise, shorter life, rotor wear since the pads are lifetime and I can get lifetime rotors at Orielly's, so if enough high temp brake lubricant can quiet the SDs to almost silent, that's be fine I think

I would go with the cMax if available for your application otherwise the Gold. Those severe dutys being semi-metallic will also create a lot more brake dust on your wheels.

Last edited:
You guys may want to note that the exact same pad material is rarely used across the entire line up.

Means the experience of owner A in his Elegante Express may be very different than me in my Cheapo Extraordinaire even though we BOTH bought Duralast Super Stop Precious Metal pads.

I have noticed that the mid-grade Duralast Gold pads are now painted in sparky, silver paint...tacky.

The shims are very thin and do not grip tightly (similar to Akebono pads).

From my recent experience, Centric seems to have the best shims on their pads. They fit tightly, are coated, and on some apps seem to be "bonded" to the backing plate in some way, even though they appear to be clip-on shims.

^^^precisely why I love those NAPA adaptive pads. Some of the best shims I have ever seen. Never make a peep on many different platforms.

The shims on my Golds are bonded on and working just fine. The Raybestos pads I used before had riveted shims and they broke off....on two different sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back