getting the perfect quart measurment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to see how the members here get the perfect quart measurement. my one ride take 7 quarts of oil. usually i will use a 5qt jug and 2 single quarts to get the correct amount. have a few jugs with 4 quarts so i would need to use 1 full jug plus 3 quarts out of the other one. thinking I could open one jug and fill and empty quart bottle, using a clear funnel that I have ( it has measurements on the side ) how would the rest of Bitog measure out the perfect quart ?

I look at the side of the jug that has the quart marks on it and eyeball it. Its close enough for me to check the dipstick every time.

If I need something like 5.5 qts out of 5qt jugs

I'll pour half a quart into an empty quart bottle.

Originally Posted By: Rand
I look at the side of the jug that has the quart marks on it and eyeball it. Its close enough for me to check the dipstick every time.

If I need something like 5.5 qts out of 5qt jugs

I'll pour half a quart into an empty quart bottle.

I usually will do that with my Honda as the dipstick is easy to read. my trailblazer has a goofy dipstick that is not very easy to see the oil level on it. thanks for your thoughts .

Kitacamry takes 4.1 qts so I pour off 1qt from the 5qt jug into a qt-size oil "bottle" and then after emptying the 4 qts remaining I measure-pour the rest from the qt bottle.

Last edited:
Its not like you are baking a cake and need a tablespoon of baking powder. If you need a QT and you add 30 oz or 34 oz you are fine. Probably +/- a cup (8 oz) is fine.

I round.

Book spec for previous car was 3.7 qts when changing oil + filter. 3.5 qts got me to full or close enough.

Eyeball the side of the 5qt jug - its why it has the clear level line and markings.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Its not like you are baking a cake and need a tablespoon of baking powder. If you need a QT and you add 30 oz or 34 oz you are fine. Probably +/- a cup (8 oz) is fine.

I agree we do not need to be that precise. it got me thinking about what others on here do to get the correct measurement. the dipstick is a burnt orange color otherwise I would just top it off if need be the next day or two after the oci when the level is stabil.I am always open and interested in other ideas.

If you really want, you can always top it off later to the *exact* level that you want. It is probably good idea to check it periodically while the car is parked in the same location e.g. every Sunday morning.

It was pretty cool when I worked at Sears and we had the filler guns for the bulk oil. The screen things were digital to we could get to a 1/10th of a quart. On my Volvo I think it is supposed to get something like 5.8qt, but I just put in 6 and all is well with the world.

Agreed, I'll dump in the amount specified(either 5 or 6 qt for my vehicles) and I'm done... Next time I pull the dipstick will be a month or so later when I'm doing a general check under the hood... My '98 Grand Marquis was approx 3/4 qt down last month when I checked, probably getting close to needing a full qt now... Nope I haven't lost one wink of sleep...

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
It was pretty cool when I worked at Sears and we had the filler guns for the bulk oil. The screen things were digital to we could get to a 1/10th of a quart. On my Volvo I think it is supposed to get something like 5.8qt, but I just put in 6 and all is well with the world.

Yeah we had those at my tire shop too. I was amazed when something like a cavalier would guzzle 5.5 quarts. I think it would be cool for a self-serve gas station to offer this for their customers or maybe one of those farm & fleet type stores.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Yeah we had those at my tire shop too. I was amazed when something like a cavalier would guzzle 5.5 quarts. I think it would be cool for a self-serve gas station to offer this for their customers or maybe one of those farm & fleet type stores.

At my current work at the dealer we had a lube tech, no longer employed with us, that stuck a gun in an RX-8 and walked away to call his girlfriend. 22 quarts later other techs ran over as it was shooting out of the fill hole. He broke so many rules just in that action, it was funny watching him clean the customers car though.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

One has to wonder if they bother to check the dipstick after blasting in the amount called for.

One has to wonder if they bother to check the dipstick after blasting in the amount called for.

I was always coming up under. SOP on anything bigger than an asian 4 cyl was to throw 4 quarts in, let it run to fill the filter, then top it off. Charged extra for more than 5 quarts. We had a loosely followed rule to have another employee initial that they saw a full dipstick. By the time someone wandered around the shop with a dipstick to show another person the oil dollop on it could have flowed every which way anyway.

I've seen those guns calibrated to Quarts and Liters... and then the strange ONE that I have seen calibrated to Gallons.

One of the techs at the shop I worked at in college didn't catch on and instead of putting 1.25 gallons (5 quarts) in a 4 banger, tried to get 4 gallons (16 quarts) in it.
He filled the entire engine and the valve cover with oil before realizing his mistake.

We lifted it back up and drained it all... and let it drain for quite some time, before putting the 4.0 quarts recommended back in it. We started it, and it ran fine. We let it idle for awhile then took it for a drive around the block and checked the dipstick.
Everything seemed to work ok.
I was surprised. I figured that one would have to dissemble the head and suck it out of the cylinders after that.

I take a Sharpie bottle and put the line where I can see the visible top of the liquid in the quart container. Same with 4Qt (1gal) and 5Qt containers.

Then, whenever I need to measure, i use those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back