2-stage vs single stage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this pretty much sums it up.

EDIT: And also for the record, that two stage is rocking a Chonda OHV engine lol. Works pretty well.

Last edited:
Sponsored by Ariens.
wink.gif

the right tool for the right job.

I have a single stage toro.. and if you get it before its over 10" it goes RIGHT THROUGH.

that hardpack stuff right there isnt what you use a singlestage on..

also my single stage toro cost 150$ on craigslist.

NEW they are regularly on sale for ~~400$ ish

I guarantee that ariens is no where near 400$

Also that driveway is perfect for a 2 stage.

My driveway isnt.

IMO I'd prefer to plow that driveway much better than a 2 stage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Sponsored by Ariens.
wink.gif

So? I cleared a driveway with a single stage the other day for my friends grandmother down the street, and that's pretty much the way it worked. pull, push, pull, push. If you get like an inch or two a single stage is fine, but I would never want to live in the Northeast without a two stage blower.

Originally Posted By: Nick R

No, but http://www.sears.com/craftsman-snow-blow...p;blockType=G17

or,
http://www.sears.com/power-smart-7651-24...p;blockType=G20

and those are terrible and not even close to that ariens in the video. 3 star rating.. and half fall apart after 1-2 years.

That 2 stage would be so overkill on my driveway I'd be hitting neighbor's houses..

Its all about the tool for the job..

and single stage isnt for 1-2" thats shoveling.

I have a push shovel that will plow upto 3" really fast

single stage is great for upto about 6-7" if you have a good one.
poor over 10"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: Nick R

No, but http://www.sears.com/craftsman-snow-blow...p;blockType=G17

or,
http://www.sears.com/power-smart-7651-24...p;blockType=G20

and those are terrible and not even close to that ariens in the video. 3 star rating.. and half fall apart after 1-2 years.

Well, I have the 26" version of that first one, and apart from some carbeurator problems, it works just fine
wink.gif
And we've had it for 4-5 years now. I'll eventually order a Honda replacement carb that fits it, but for now I just have the governer adjusted so that it runs slightly faster than normal at all times, there is no more idle. That fixed the surging

Last edited:
I have 2 toro's one is 14 years old.. the other is 2

both combined cost me 300$ including a new carb and blades for the old one a couple years ago.

I'm not saying you are wrong.. I'd like the big snowblower too If I had 18" of snow.

but you are putting down single stage blowers falsely.

also single stage clear down to the pavement.. which can be nice.

IMO I wouldnt even have started the snowblower for an "inch or 2"

your video is the equivalent of

a f150 pulling a 20000lb trailer and a f450.

right tool for the right job.

Last edited:
As has been said here before, the right tool for the right job.

I am on my third single stage unit since 1978. Don't see the point in using a sledge hammer when a rubber mallet will do the job.

I have gone through 12" before with all three that I have owned (two Toros and a Craftsman.) Sure it is pushing the equipment to the limit but it does it on the FEW occasions that it is necessary to move that amount of snow. If I lived in an area like the northeast or upper Midwest where heavier equipment was required. I would buy it. For me the reasons for not owning a two stage is NOT cost factor, it is 1) weight of the unit, 2) storage of the unit, and 3) proper sizing of the unit to the application requirement. I can do my drive, and the sidewalk of the whole block in < 20 minutes. I would look ridiculous doing that with a two stage.

As for brand of unit: even though I owned a Craftsman which gave me good service, I would say Toro or Ariens only. A couple of years ago, I bought one of the last Toro 2 strokes with electric start. I have discussed it on this site, and know several of the members have the exact same unit. Does a nice job and will throw some snow. Hoping that it will be the last one that I will ever buy.

When I used to plow snow for a living and we had sidewalks to clear, a Toro single stage was the tool of choice. Mainly because it's much more portable than a big two stage blower.

I now havea Craftsman two stage track drive blower that I got for free from a neighbor because it needed some repair. It works great, but here is my tool of choice for clearing the driveway, much more fun than walking behind a blower.
laugh.gif

20121213_121435.jpg

I want to see the video of someone hoisting the 2 stage into the attic of my garage. Sure the two stage is better down by the wash from the plow... but you pay for that by it taking up space in your garage all summer, to say nothing of the dance you do getting it out of a garage with two cars parked in it, or the fact they don't scrape down to the concrete very well.

Last edited:
my 14 year old toro that just needed a carb was a ccr2450 2stroke. It started on the 4th pull after 11monthes in storage with bad gas(dumped out gas put in fresh)

Only modification I did was to put a fuel shutoff on the gas line.

my 2 year old ccr 3650 was abused by the previous owner and I prefer my 14 year old one but for what I paid for it.. it does the job fine. It actually works better in 6-8" than it does 3"

You do bring a good point up. These compact units are much easier to store.

My driveway takes about 10-15min.

Not saying everyone should buy a single stage. Its right tool for the job, and no reason to put down single stage blowers.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
I want to see the video of someone hoisting the 2 stage into the attic of my garage. Sure the two stage is better down by the wash from the plow... but you pay for that by it taking up space in your garage all summer, to say nothing of the dance you do getting it out of a garage with two cars parked in it, or the fact they don't scrape down to the concrete very well.

In that, we are fortunate that I can just put it in the shed for the summer and not worry about it. In the winter the riding lawnmower takes it's place. And with our garage layout I store it by the door on the side, leaving enough room to get it in and out even with a car in the garage.

Now don't misunderstand, I'm not saying that nobody should have single stage blowers, but in use, a dual stage will move more snow with less effort. I'm looking at a small 2-stroke one for our back porch and the front walk. But given the choice, I'd rather have the 2 stage unit./

My single stage toro handles my driveway up to 12" of snow. Small, lightweight, easy to start, easy to change the drive belt and rubber paddles. No need for a 2 stage. My neighbor has a huge 2 stage. I am done and inside while he is still out there waddling up and down his drive with that beast.

My drive is close to 1000', mostly level except for the last 20' near the road. Its a dirt driveway as is the road.

One problem with plowing is where to put the snow if you get storm after storm like we did 2 years ago. Plus my Mastiff puppy likes to attack the snow where it falls in the woods from the snow blower.

For me a 2 stage is the only choice. I have an older 28" 8 HP. It did the job but was a little narrow. Now I have a 36" Airens with an 11 HP. Its a beast, and just goes through the snow with no problem. Used for $350.

For 4" or under, I just set the TC selector to 4WD on my Jeep.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
my 14 year old toro that just needed a carb was a ccr2450 2stroke. It started on the 4th pull after 11monthes in storage with bad gas(dumped out gas put in fresh)

Only modification I did was to put a fuel shutoff on the gas line.

my 2 year old ccr 3650 was abused by the previous owner and I prefer my 14 year old one but for what I paid for it.. it does the job fine. It actually works better in 6-8" than it does 3"

You do bring a good point up. These compact units are much easier to store.

My driveway takes about 10-15min.

Not saying everyone should buy a single stage. Its right tool for the job, and no reason to put down single stage blowers.

Totally agree with that. I think that you and I have talked about the single stage Toros before. They are nice units and can move an amazing amount of snow. They are extremely portable, If I need to go help someone, I can easily (by myself) put it in the back of my pickup without problem. Try that with a two stage.

Also with limited storage, I can put it on shelf in my shed out of the way. Couldn't begin to do that with a two cycle.

Also, the drive that is pictured there needs a f250 with a blade to clear it out, not a snowblower (even if it was for demonstration purposes.)

Anymore, if I can't clear my drive with my Toro, I'll just stay home.

I would have cleared what the single stage guy moved in half the time with my trusty shovel. No $600 wasted, no gasoline.

The two-stage was compelling in that display...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I would have cleared what the single stage guy moved in half the time with my trusty shovel. No $600 wasted, no gasoline.

The two-stage was compelling in that display...

Sure, exercise is great but there's no oil to change in your shovel. What fun is that?
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back