What Oil filter for '07 Honda Odyssey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Honda works best with the new for Honda spec wix 57356, It now has na Si adbv and as before, a base end bypass. IIRC the v6 uses the same unit. If you can get the honda filtec unit that might be preferred. I would suspect the V6 would be less filter sensitive than the little 1.5L I4 which has a funky variable efficiency oil pump.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
My Honda works best with the new for Honda spec wix 57356, It now has na Si adbv and as before, a base end bypass. IIRC the v6 uses the same unit. If you can get the honda filtec unit that might be preferred. I would suspect the V6 would be less filter sensitive than the little 1.5L I4 which has a funky variable efficiency oil pump.

Honda OEM 15400-PLM-A01 is not manufactured anymore (?). So even if I order 15400-PLM-A01 I might receive 5400-PLM-A02 as it is a substitute part. And all forums I found are not recommending Honda OEM 15400-PLM-A02 at all. And they all write that Honda OEM 15400-PLM-A01 is difficult to get.

And from what I read the Purolator PL14610 should be 'better' than the Honda OEM 15400-PLM-A01.

Originally Posted By: wkcars
I would add Bosch Distance+ D3323, Mobil 1 Extended Performance M1-110, and K&N HP-1010 to your list, but these may be more than what you need. There's some posts with some cut open pureone PL14610 that have some issues with them. Honda OEMs are good, some prefer the filtech -A01 ones over the fram -A02, but honda says both are equivalent and the owners manual says filter change every other oil change so they should both be equally good.

Amazon does not ship the Bosch Distance+ D3323, Mobil 1 Extended Performance M1-110, and K&N HP-1010 to Germany "We are not able to ship this item to your default shipping address."

Yes. I also saw Posts where the bypass valve of the Purolator PL14610 PureONE was defective. However you don't open every filter to check what's going on. So the issue may happen with other types as well (?)

Originally Posted By: GYGuy81
Originally Posted By: wkcars
I would add Bosch Distance+ D3323, Mobil 1 Extended Performance M1-110, and K&N HP-1010 to your list, but these may be more than what you need. There's some posts with some cut open pureone PL14610 that have some issues with them. Honda OEMs are good, some prefer the filtech -A01 ones over the fram -A02, but honda says both are equivalent and the owners manual says filter change every other oil change so they should both be equally good.

Amazon does not ship the Bosch Distance+ D3323, Mobil 1 Extended Performance M1-110, and K&N HP-1010 to Germany "We are not able to ship this item to your default shipping address."

Yes. I also saw Posts where the bypass valve of the Purolator PL14610 PureONE was defective. However you don't open every filter to check what's going on. So the issue may happen with other types as well (?)

You could try www.rockauto.com they ship international although I don't know how much it would end up costing, and they may not carry the filter you want (ie no p14610 or m1-110) but have others as well like denso or beck/arnley. If you decide to order from rockauto this post has discount code for 5% off http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2871446

And yes, quality issues can happen to any brand/filter, it's just something to consider since there's info out there.

Last edited:
They also have the Bosch Distance+ D3323. However there is no rating how long this would last. And http://www.rockauto.com/ has low shipping costs as well.
smile.gif

Would be interesting to find out when it needs to be replaced and if it is rated for distance 7,500 miles and more.

Hi,

I called the Bosch hotline.
The guy said that Bosch Distance+ D3323 is rated 3,000 miles / 3 month.
He recommended the Purolator PSL14610 which is rated for 10,000 miles.
But being honest reading the Amazon.com review I would rather pay $1 more and go for the Royal Purple.

Quote:
However the Purolator just qualified itself by this information on the manufacturers website:

Purolator PureONE oil filters should be replaced every 3,000 miles or 3 months depending on the driving conditions - or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer.

Yes, and as has been pointed out on this board many times the operative and overriding point is the or part of the recommendation. Meaning the P1 will do the vehicle manufacturers recommended oci, in this case Honda. I've run a PL14610 many to times to 10-15%MM/6000+ miles and dissected them and posted, all have been fine. Latest PL14610 7800 mi. Civic oci and dissected looking excellent. The first part is the sell filters portion of the statement similar to the Fram air filters 12k/12 month recommendation.

As for your choices.- Honda OEM 15400-PLM-A01
- Honda OEM 15400-PLM-A02
- Mann-Filter ML 1008
- Royal Purple 10-2867
- Purolator PL14610 PureONE
- Wix 51356
- Bosch 3323

As mentioned the two Honda choices are not known to be particularly efficient.

The Mann ML1008 if made in the USA is most likely not much more than a Puro Classic L14610 with nitrile adbv

The PL14610 and BP3323 are basically clones I'd buy either on lowest price, both have silicone adbv like oe.

The Royal Purple is an excellent synthetic filter but pricey. If run to 15k, the cost benefit becomes greater though.

Hi,

He recommended the Purolator PSL14610 which is rated for 10,000 miles.
But being honest reading the Amazon.com review I would rather pay $1 more and go for the Royal Purple.

I think Bosch D+ used to claim it was good for 15000 miles but not anymore, not sure why they have removed the mileage claims, I think now most companies are beginning to drop mileage claims in their marketing and say stick with the car manufacturer's owner's manual instructions, probably for legal reasons. Here's a recent post on a D3323 by sayjac http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2873457 and a post from Chubbs a while back on particle count http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2195882

And i'm not saying you should get the d+ or any particular one in your list, just helping out wiht some info .

Last edited:
I will go with the Royal Purple. It's more expensive but I only replace it twice a year. So over the time it's ok and it somehow gives me a save feeling.

But I appreciate all your help and input
smile.gif

Whenever you guys will come to Germany let me know and I will buy you some nice beer
smile.gif

Also this video really backed up my decision: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=floUZGP6NZM

Last edited:
Hi,

Hummm ... how can they call it a "Distance PLUS" if it's only rated to 3,000 miles.
lol.gif

Because it's all relative distance; it's further than some folks would run the OCOD or E-core (which for many would make them suffer an aneurysm just going around the block ...) ?
grin2.gif

Last edited:
I will go with the Royal Purple. It's more expensive but I only replace it twice a year. So over the time it's ok and it somehow gives me a save feeling.

smile.gif

Whenever you guys will come to Germany let me know and I will buy you some nice beer
smile.gif

Also this video really backed up my decision: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=floUZGP6NZM

Glad to know you watched the YouTube I suggested. RP IS the best!

BTW, I happen to host highschool exchange students. Last year I hosted a boy from Berlin, this year I have a girl from Essen. Its been a wonderful experience. I love Deutschland!

Originally Posted By: gfh77665

smile.gif

smile.gif

Glad to know you watched the YouTube I suggested. RP IS the best!

BTW, I happen to host highschool exchange students. Last year I hosted a boy from Berlin, this year I have a girl from Essen. Its been a wonderful experience. I love Deutschland!

I used to live in Northern California for 5 yrs. Me and my wife liked our Odyssey so much that we took the car with us back to Northern Germany
smile.gif

I hope the high-school kids do leave good impressions :) But I bet there will be a noticeable difference between the boy from Berlin and the girl from Essen :)

Oh yes they are both great kids. The Berlin boy is very talkative and loves to interact, the Essen girl is a bit shy but very nice too.

Also, interestingly enough, I have an Odyssey, too. Its a 2006, non VCM.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Oh yes they are both great kids. The Berlin boy is very talkative and loves to interact, the Essen girl is a bit shy but very nice too.

Also, interestingly enough, I have an Odyssey, too. Its a 2006, non VCM.

Good luck with the kids :)

Ours is an EX-L RES and it's with VCM. But from drive comfort I really haven't notice much difference. I like the car. It's very comfortable for driving long distance.I like the sound of the engine. It's a rare car here in Germany. But no problems with spare parts so far. Not much more expensive as for any orher regular car.

I like the sound of the engine.

We have nearly the same 3.5L engine in our Acura, and it's a honey of a mill to spin up and let loose, isn't it? One of the smoothest-sounding and smoothest-running V-6s you'll come across.

I am friends with a Purolator filter engineer at work (their HQ is in our town). I'm tellin' ya...I'd use the PSL14610 on your V-6 Honda...

Quote:
Hi,I called the Bosch hotline.
He recommended the Purolator PSL14610 which is rated for 10,000 miles....

I'm now wondering if the folks that man the "Bosch hotline" are the same folks that work the "Purolator Response Office". I say that because having previously communicated with the PRO via email I can attest to the fact that some of the answers/info I received was in direct conflict with information on the P1 website, including the the oil filter recommendation for the oci. There was other absurd filter bypass event frequency information provided in the same email exchange.

The Bosch Distance Plus has a rated holding capacity of 29 grams, one the tops rated including the Ultra which no longer provides a spec for holding capacity as, if iirc they did in the past. If the Bosch Long Life, which I've never seen in real life, has a rated holding capacity of 22 grams and the Bosch website says good till 10k, logic says the BD+ would be easily good for 10+k mi., Having personally run the BD+, as linked previously, to ~13.5K/2oci's I'd have no concern with the BD+ to 15k, even with no current recommendation on the Bosch site.

Point being, while I like and have used Purolator/Bosch oil filters including the P1 and the BD+, based on my experience and this most recent absurd information regarding the BD+ oci from the "Bosch hotline" I'd put little faith in the authoritativeness of the information being provided by either the B hotline or the PRO.

I noticed I left out the Wix choice in my previous post. The 51356 has been superseded by the 57356. The latter was using a nitrile adbv, rather than silicone used in the 51356. That may now have changed, but I can't say. The other consideration is if it has typical Wix thread end bypass, the media area will likely be less, perhaps substantial, than the other choices listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back