Amoco Ultimate, BP with Invigorate, & Top Tier Gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MGregoir
http://www.toptiergas.com/deposit_control.html

1.3.1.2 Base Fuel
The base fuel shall have the following specific properties after the addition of ethanol:

Contain enough denatured ethanol such that the actual ethanol content is no less than 8.0 and no more than 10.0 volume percent.

There is all the details of the specification on that page.

You realize that this is a requirement for the base fuel used in testing. That is base fuel defined for testing purposes and pump fuel are not the same thing. Base fuel as defined for testing should represent the worst quality fuel you could be expected to get to test the performance of the additives. Therefore there is no specific requirement in top tier that actual pump fuel has to contain ethanol and to keep repeating such is false. The testing in top tier really is a series of additive tests to ensure that additives put in actually do something to a baseline standard.
Ethanol requirements around the country are mandated by your local government.

Originally Posted By: strombony
Ok, here's the scoop on this? I just called the fuel tech hotline. I now live in central Illinois and they have a huge refinery in the Chicago area.
The "invigorate" additive package is throughout Illinois, but not in all market areas.."not yet", but eventually it will be. And they did say when I asked them about this, that the package has "clean up" capabilities in all 3 grads, 87/89/93. But, in the market areas where this is not provided, only the Amoco Ultimate has the clean up capability and the other 2 grads only have the "keep clean" function within the gasoline.

So, if you live in my market area, the you are lucky. If not, you will be lucky soon.

Very interesting. Thanks for making this call.

So BP Ultimate may still not meet the minimum standards for a top-tier fuel-Period. If it easily passed the top-tier requirement then why not get BP certified?

Originally Posted By: Eddie
So BP Ultimate may still not meet the minimum standards for a top-tier fuel-Period. If it easily passed the top-tier requirement then why not get BP certified?

Because ALL grades must meet Top Tier specs. not just one grade. There is resistance from the other large oil companies being "forced" into Top Tier standards. Most of the name brand gasolines, including regular, "significantly exceed EPA minimum detergency requirements" as Mobil and Sunoco state.

As for ethanol and RFG, here's a nationwide map...

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Files/US Gasoline Map 100102.pdf

Drew

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Texaco fuel is top tier and used Techron as the additive. I have never seen Ford recommend any particular fuel for their vehicles. I would be interested if Ford put this in their manuals or is it a rumor?

My wife's 2007 escape has the BP logo right on the gas cap and mentions it specifically in the owner's manual.

On a side, my cars do seem to like BP gas where as they hate Shell gas. Maybe there is a difference.

5 YEAR BUMP! Not sure if this was ever discussed on any other thread, but I kept this link to the 300C Forums: See Posts #11 and #12 which may shed some light on this thread of why BP is not TOP TIER:
(BP NOT TOPTIER Explanation)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey
I have a friend, long time in the Petroleum industry, Masters Degree in Chemical Engineering. According to him, BP Ultimate is run through the "cracking tower" an additional time, and as such, gets a good bit more refinement than other grades.

BP is the only company that does this extra refinement step, and as such, is a different fuel than available from any other manufacturer. They also have patented this process, thereby maintaining their exclusivity.

They would like you to believe that this is for enhanced automotive fuel, but in reality, they do this because they also sell the portion of the gasoline that was removed in refinement as a different product. Win/Win for big brother BP.

It's not BP ultimate. It's still Amoco ultimate. My roommate can actually claim to have "invented" Amoco Ultimate. He was on a team of 5 that created it and developed countless patents. I've talked with him about this a few times and he loses me every time. (I never took chemistry)

Naperville Illinois Research development plant. 10 minutes East of me.

...No, I'm not kidding either.

P.S. There was a thread floating around about BP/Amoco Ultimate not being worthy because it's not a "top tier" gas....When I told him I heard that he just laughed.

I fill up on BP every chance I get.

You better have good reasons to resuscitate this old thread. I don't know much about the Ultimate stuff, but I can tell you that piston tops in my corolla are much cleaner after I switched from only 87 BP to 87 Shell or Chevron.

Shouldn't need to have a reason to resuscitate any old thread. Just do it. I would rather append to a thread that already exists than to start a new one. The board is already busy as it is. My feelings is that why start a new one with your question only to have someone link you to the already existing one old or new. Just bump it and get it going again.

I just thought it was useful info. I got an e-mail from Terry Dyson and he's seeing good results from using BP on a hotrodded VW GTI that seems to be burning cleaner and more mpg's. I have to send the same info to him......since I remembered I saved it.

I'd love to get that guy's friend to join the BITOG and get some more insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back