doit myself addition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heres some pics of the addition im builing. Just a small bedroom. Couldnt get any contractors to take the job so I bought a couple books and got after it.

411176_530415336971752_546556262_o.jpg

Demo of old carport

Yeah man im an electrician. Just bought a book and got after it. Every now and then I would call some buddies over for help. Spent a lot of time talking with the building inspector too. Its been about 1 1/2 years since we filed the paperwork to get a permit and had prints drawn up. I just work on it when I can

Thanks!

I wish I could do stuff like that!

Just a little note: I think the door handles in the last pic are reversed. If that handle were on the other side, the cupping part would hold your hand and help prevent it from sliding off when twisting it. I did the same thing with those handles.
smile.gif

That looks great! I would be proud of myself if I were you.

That reminds me of what my grandfather once told me, "if you want to do something, get a book and learn to do it". Those words have served me well in my life.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
Ya, Nice job!!! And the most important thing...smiling wife!!!
But now you need a garage!!!

cheers3.gif
I know thats right!
Thanks

The hardest part was rafter calculations ans building the roof. But It turned out ok. Wish I would have snapped some pics of that but I wasn't thinking.

I kinda went over board because I didnt know the rules. I put those metal hurricane clips and rafter ties on every board. Lol
But thats ok. We are in tornadoe alley

Originally Posted By: electrolover
286044_530415296971756_637879662_o.jpg

Foundation

Is the foundation just stacked cider block? Maybe with more mild winters its not a problem. In NY it would be Sonotube.

Nice job by the way.

Last edited:
Our local code states that the piers have to be below the freeze line. Which is about 12 inches.

Thanks for the complements guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back