Trying Penzoil Ultra!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 5200 miles on the QS defy and the Napa gold, I went out tonght and bought 6 quarts of penzoil ultra 5w-30 and a I have a Fram Ultra fiter. I would like to use a The Pen Ultra half the time and QSUD during the colder months, I'd like to sneak some maxlife and GOIL i sometime, I stand to drive about 19k miles this year give or take. What do you guys think about Ultra in my application, and what does everyone think about a proper maintenence schedule for my 3.1 liter 2002 malibu with 121782 miles? My probem is I love to constantly keep trying new oils, lol

forgive my spelling, im on a smartphone, and sometimes i fall into the trap of making my point without the proper punctuation or spelling, but thanks, that's something to consider.

I like Defy, no problems to report, engine ran smoother and quieter, but I've noticed that's fallen off lately, after 5k miles I figured it was about finished. But honestly, i've used LM mos2, so my evaluation might be skuwed, but I think it's a good oil, but I'm eager to try maxlife.

Pennzoil Ultra is awesome and it sounds like you have been changing your oil regularly. With that filter you could try 6 months (easy) then run it again for 6months and do a UOA. That will give you a nice idea where you will stand with OCI's. I liked to try different brands too, until I found they are all pretty good with some being excellent
PU (all grades)
M1 (0w20,5w30,0w40) 0w40 is awesome
BEST VALUE: QSUD (all grades)
All other majors are very good too and would not hesitate to use Them.

I just put PP in the sump of the Grand Prix last weekend, but while at AZ this evening to pick up spark plugs, I couldn't resist their 5 qt PU and Bosch Premuim filter oil change special for $33.99 (~$25 off regular price and same price as the same deal with PP!) so that is what will be going in next.

I can't wait to put on 7,500 miles in order to make the change. BITOG has been a curse just as much as it has been a blessing.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
I just put PP in the sump of the Grand Prix last weekend, but while at AZ this evening to pick up spark plugs, I couldn't resist their 5 qt PU and Bosch Premuim filter oil change special for $33.99 (~$25 off regular price and same price as the same deal with PP!) so that is what will be going in next.

I can't wait to put on 7,500 miles in order to make the change. BITOG has been a curse just as much as it has been a blessing.

Does your AZ carry anything besides 10W-30 of PU? For some reason, all I've found of that has been 10W-30 and Royal Purple is now stocked at a local Meijer's store ONLY in the same.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Pennzoil Ultra is awesome and it sounds like you have been changing your oil regularly. With that filter you could try 6 months (easy) then run it again for 6months and do a UOA. That will give you a nice idea where you will stand with OCI's. I liked to try different brands too, until I found they are all pretty good with some being excellent
PU (all grades)
M1 (0w20,5w30,0w40) 0w40 is awesome
BEST VALUE: QSUD (all grades)
All other majors are very good too and would not hesitate to use Them.

10.gif
I can drink to that!

You're gonna love PU. I've got pics around somewhere (I think ToyotaNation) of my Corolla's internals after about 2500 miles with PU (which I just changed out tonight after about 2750, figuring it had done all it was going to do; replaced it with Rotella T6 5w40 and 25% M1 0w20 to target different "engine dirt"). The [censored] this was spotless, I tell ya. While I don't have "before" shots, I do know the car was not well maintained and the oil did darken up pretty quick from about the 1200 mile mark to the tile I took it out. It's still got some life let on it, I'm sure, so I'm gonna do a UOA on it and consider running it for 3k in my wife's Civic for her next OCI.

Only switching to the Rotella/M1 blend because, while the PU did wonders for varnish (there was literally none) I don't think it's gonna do much more for my (still slightly stuck) ring packs or oil return holes. Considering that I'm talking about an 8th gen Corolla here, with the oil return hole (clogged, leading to burning oul) issue, I'm changing things up a bit in hopes of avoiding a partial rebuild. So far, burning is down to a reasonable level (a cup or less in 3k, down from a little over a quart in the same time) and I attribute that improvement to a combination of the PU and my driving it hard while it was running the PU. If I don't see any improvement with this blend, I'm gonna attribute the current (very reasonable for a vehicle with 166k on it) amount to leadfoot-induced ring deflection.

Bringing it back around, your engine will be very pleased with PU, and so will you. The strategy of alternating different brands (with different add packs) is very similar to what I'm doing to try and completely clean up this engine, and I think you'll likewise be pleased with the effects of that plan, as well. I would send a sample of that Defy to Blackstone for a OUA, but I'm guessing that 3.1 wouldn't have minded another 2300 miles of it, or at least taking it up to 6k. You can run the PU for as long, or longer, but like I said I'd get a OUA on that Defy to be sure.

I saw a deal at O'reilly today, 5qt of RP and a K&N filter for $49.99, that's only $3 over the price of the RP. I was kicking myself for already having my next OCI (which I just finished BTW) set up.

I really under-used the PU I just drained out, but after a UOA... well, you've read my other post if you're this far in the thread, no need to repeat myself.

Originally Posted By: Cujobob

Does your AZ carry anything besides 10W-30 of PU? For some reason, all I've found of that has been 10W-30 and Royal Purple is now stocked at a local Meijer's store ONLY in the same.

Yeah, I picked up 5 qt of 5w-30 and there were plenty left on the shelf. But this is the first time I checked (have only done 3 oil changes on my own, all in the past 5 months, and this was my first look at Pennzoil). I have read about others finding it at WM, but mine only carries PYB, HM, and PP, but all in 5w- and 10w-30.

The deal at AZ was the same price as buying a 5 qt jug of PP at WM and the Bosch filter at AZ, but with an upgrade in the oil. Again, I just couldn't resist and it turned a run for two spark plugs and dielectric grease into a $50+ purchase.

Last edited:
I also have AutoZone Pennzoil ULTRA, two deals for a total of 10 quarts, All of them 10w-30, for one of my Jeeps. I got the OverSize filter for the 4.0 also, the TG8(Tough Guard 8) vs the TG16. I also have a couple of their Current Castrol deals of Syntec and a Bosch Filter for $33.99 with 10 quarts of 0w-30(German Castrol).

PU is very good in cleaning my fleet of vehicles. At 5K, the oil are very black but I resist to change because PU is good for 8-10K.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Maxima97
PU is very good in cleaning my fleet of vehicles. At 5K, the oil are very black but I resist to change because PU is good for 8-10K.

The oil being black doesn't tell you it is cleaning. Oxidation makes an oil dark too, as do chemical reactions....etc.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Maxima97

The oil being black doesn't tell you it is cleaning. Oxidation makes an oil dark too, as do chemical reactions....etc.

I know that. But at least there are chemical act happening in my engine to uncoating the deposit left buy previous oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back