2002-2006 CR-V Auto Reliability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A family member is looking into getting a 2nd gen Honda CR-V. It will definitely have to be an automatic transmission.

My 1st gen CR-V (2000) has ~150k on the transmission and it shifts fine. These ones seem to be known for decent reliability, unlike mid 2000's Civics, Accord, Odysseys...

Do the 2nd gen CR-V's have a good track record for AT reliability? Or are they another Honda dud?

I was going to comment on how people think that Hondas are perfect in every aspect.

I thought the bad transmissions only applied to the Accord(ians)

The bad AT's were for the most part, only V6 Accords/Ody's and their Acura bretheren from 2002-2004.

I put 227k on a 2001 Civic and currently have 180k on my 2005 CR-V. No issues.
Everything is still original in terms of parts that aren't wear items.

The transmissions seem to be okay, but the air conditioning compressors from those years have a bad reputation for self-destructing and spreading fragments throughout the system. Usually involves replacing the compressor, condenser, and evaporator to the tune of about $3000.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
The bad AT's were for the most part, only V6 Accords/Ody's and their Acura bretheren from 2002-2004.

And 1999-2001. Ask me how I know.

Originally Posted By: JZiggy
Do the 2nd gen CR-V's have a good track record for AT reliability? Or are they another Honda dud?

The '02-'06 CR-V transmissions are just fine. It's the A/C compressors and wiper motors that blow up on these.

Originally Posted By: yesthatsteve
Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch

And 1999-2001. Ask me how I know.

I knew there was a problem with the 4ATs, I thought they had it sorted out by the 5AT range?

The 2nd gen CRV is not known to have AT problems; however, the AC compressors are notorious for problems. Google the AC problems and you will see tons of them. The only item I can think of off hand that requires attention prior to the factory maintenance schedule is the rear diff fluid. It should be changed every 30,000 miles to avoid noise issues. I have an 03 CRV with 140,000 miles on it which I've owned since new. I've had no real outstanding problems and hope to drive this SUV far beyond 200,000 miles.

MIL has a first gen crv with 165k + no issues even with a late timing belt replacement that i just did. the second gen has a timing chain so one less thing to worry about.

In my family and relatives, there is probably 10 CRV's of varying age. the last 3 vehicles my mom bought have been CRV's.

I have never heard any of them speak of any major repairs. these are not car people, just pump gas and go people so if thing were to go wrong, it would happen to them likely.

There is a high correlation of trans problems with no maintenance and no problems with regular maintenance........ that being fluid change and filter if changeable.

There are many differences between the 2002-2004 (gen 2) and 2005-2006 (gen 2.5) models.

The gen 2 has a 4speed automatic compared to the newer 5speed on the gen 2.5. The rear diff was improved on the gen 2.5 with the addition of a cam system to allow for faster engagement of the clutch pack. The b-pillar on the gen 2.5 was strengthened for better side impact protection. The curtain and seat airbags along with VSA were standard on the gen 2.5. The taillights on the gen2.5 went away with the amber lenses. The rear bumper reflectors were also redesigned. Also the wheel size was increased to 16" from 15" on the gen 2.5.

Overall the safety was improved on the gen 2.5.

Oh, to answer the reliability question...

They are very reliable except for the ac compressor which has a tendency to spit out metal shavings which clog up the system and cause expensive repairs. There are a few more weak spots which are basically the same for most Hondas made in that time period such as the front compliance bushings which have a tendency to rip and cause noise. Also look for undercarriage rust if buying it from a salty area.

I'm sure there are more but can't think of all of them now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back