Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
Haven't used it but it's similar to STP in that it has a high viscosity base oil with a few additives. Where STP uses OCP's, the base for Lucas is mostly high viscosity PAO's and dispersants.

But go ahead and do a VOA and see what if any elemental additives can be seen.

Thank you for the info, MolaKule. I might just decide to send a VOA in. My suspicion, though, is that not too much may show element-wise but I could be wrong.

Maybe it's a clear fluid because they used "transparent molybdenum"-
grin.gif

I purchased a fair quantity of this pre-BITOG. Haven't used it in any vehicle yet and may not do so because of some evaluations/experiences with the non-syn variant on this board.

Maybe I'll send some in for a VOA, haven't found one on it yet...

I have, however, found a terrific use for it- oiling my bicycle parts! It's virtually water-clear.

I don't want to start a firestorm here but has anyone else used the synthetic stuff? Just curious.

It was Bob who said years ago that most (all?) of Lucas Oil Stabilizer was bright stock ... a highly viscous petroleum component. He said that it had no, or almost no, barrier anti-wear adds.

If this is true, elemental analysis is going to be a bit disappointing and won't answer a lot of the questions you/we have.

MolaKule, OCPs?
confused.gif
I thought STP was mostly PIB - poly isobutane - but my memory for non-work stuff has been pretty lousy lately.
blush.gif

--- Bror Jace

Many of the Olefin copolymers are made from the PIB series.

The olefin copolymer is made by the reaction of of one or more monomers (single molecular units) which is usually butylene and/or propylene. The polyisobutylene is a polymerized form of butylene.

Basically, it's related to the family of liquid rubbers and the thinner versions of tackifiers.

Lucas appers to be a mix of brightstocks and OCP's, very similar to the Xentec stuff.

from
MolaKule
"Lucas appers to be a mix of brightstocks and OCP's, very similar to the Xentec stuff."

how do you know is thier data? I vote for 100% OCP.
bruce

Sorry I do not understand "reactions with certain esters" reaction to what with what.
How does that prove brighstocks and OCP?

I thought the Lucas was a OCP VII with possibly some ZDDP and or paratac.
bruce

By using specific esters, one can determine if the base oil contains OCP thickeners or OCP VII's.

The ester causes the sample to polmerize at room temp via a polymerization reaction.

Anything not made with ethylene or propylene or butylene monomers will separate from the polymerized goo. Goo is my scientific term for "gellation."

I discovered this some time ago when developing, analyzing, and compounding esters and esterified additives.

Very good trick I would like to know more, I have used the micro wave oven for ester testing hotter the more ester. Since most avalible OCP VII are only a samll percent OCP with the >80% balance a base oil if you weighted it all out you could get a good number on the amount of OCP.
bruce

The actual fluids used and the exact processes are proprietary.

One thing you have to consider is, if they use a high molecular weight succinimide dispersant, this is an ester as well and you have to account for that which SF has done.

Lucas stabilizer does not have any zinc or moly. I read this from their spokeperson in an interview. He would not state what it does have in it. There are other anti-wear additives. For the price they are charging I would hope it it does have unique additives. Maybe they are relying on viscosity to compensate for extreme pressure additives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back