durablend.grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since my last grease gun failed (under warranty) I have been on the sear h for the perfect grease for my application. This is primary as a chassis/suspension lubricant but it also must function perefectly as a disc brake bearing lube and less than perfectly but well enough for virtually any other grease application on automobiles. At this point in tome primarily a ford truck with slicer universals and a Grand Prod but just as well on anything that I may end up working on.

After so.e thought I wanted a grease available easily and locally to maintain consistant lubrication, one that has good high and low temp properties and will work exceptionally we'll for ball joints and other suspension and steering components as well as disc brake (and maybe motorcycle) wheel bearings and u joints. Preferably with strong moly content.

Ended up with a tube of valvoline durablend. Can anyone comment on this grease? Also website States a slightly different temp range than the cartridge I purchased, should this be of concern?

Originally Posted By: buck91
Since my last grease gun failed (under warranty) I have been on the sear h for the perfect grease for my application. This is primary as a chassis/suspension lubricant but it also must function perefectly as a disc brake bearing lube and less than perfectly but well enough for virtually any other grease application on automobiles. At this point in tome primarily a ford truck with slicer universals and a Grand Prod but just as well on anything that I may end up working on.

After so.e thought I wanted a grease available easily and locally to maintain consistant lubrication, one that has good high and low temp properties and will work exceptionally we'll for ball joints and other suspension and steering components as well as disc brake (and maybe motorcycle) wheel bearings and u joints. Preferably with strong moly content.

Ended up with a tube of valvoline durablend. Can anyone comment on this grease? Also website States a slightly different temp range than the cartridge I purchased, should this be of concern?

Is this the pinkish grease? I use it for everything except boat & boat trailer.

Durablend is dark gray. I think it is 4% moly and is great for driveline/chassis. Not great for wheel bearings. Mobil1 is pink.

Last edited:
I've used it before and can't complain. I use Valvoline Crimson grease in everything. GREAT lube, it's also red/pink like Mobil 1.

Originally Posted By: SEMI_287
I've used it before and can't complain. I use Valvoline Crimson grease in everything. GREAT lube, it's also red/pink like Mobil 1.

OK, it must be the Valvoline Crimson grease I have. From the label its for heavy duty uses, like a bulldozer or trackhoe.

Originally Posted By: buck91
This is primary as a chassis/suspension lubricant but it also must function perefectly as a disc brake bearing lube...

Originally Posted By: Doog
Durablend is dark gray. I think it is 4% moly and is great for driveline/chassis. Not great for wheel bearings. Mobil1 is pink.

Durablend is perfectly fine for disc brake bearing use.

From Valvoline's own product info:

Crimson:

Valvoline’s Crimson grease is recommended for use in non-disc brake wheel bearing, water pump, chassis, fifth
wheel, universal joints and other such fleet, agricultural, mining, industrial, and automotive applications. It meets
the requirements of Joy Mining Machinery’s JL-G and BG-H specifications in appropriate grades.

Durablend:

DuraBlend Grease is a semi-synthetic lithium complex EP heavy-duty automotive grease with exceptional resistance to high temperatures and heavy loads. It is recommended for a wide range of industrial and automotive use including wheel bearings of disc-brake equipped vehicles, chassis lubricant, suspension systems, universal joints, steering linkage and constant velocity joints.

I used Durablend in my last disc brake job and have had no problems whatsoever in over 20,000 miles.

A little curiuos if anybody knows anything about a grease by the name of MasterPro? Cant' get any Chevron Ultra-Duty EP-2 or Delo locally, and I'm striking out even with Mystik hi-temp moly, so I'm really not sure I have any better options- locally- than the Valvoline Ford blend or Durablend (though I've used both for years, before, I'd love to have a newer better grease to use these days)

The characteristics that you want in a suspension grease isn't always what you want in a wheel bearing grease. In fact, some of the best suspension greases warn against bearing usage.

I have been pleased with Valvoline's Cerulean grease from NAPA. Mobil 1 is extremely popular here, but I consider it almost too thin for ball joints. Chevron Ultra Duty is nice stuff, but it isn't recommended for high speed bearings.

A tube of grease doesn't take up much room. It might be worth it to consider having separate greases for wheel bearings and steering or suspension.

So which grease should I use since I work on older, and newer vehicles? Is my Cerulean grease from VALVOLINE ok, or should I use Valvolines DURABLEND? I work on disc and non disc brake stuff also.

thank you in advance

adam

So which grease should I use since I work on older, and newer vehicles? Is my Cerulean grease from VALVOLINE ok, or should I use Valvolines DURABLEND? I work on disc and non disc brake stuff also.

thank you in advance

adam

Well here's what I did. After talking to valvoline theysuccessfully scared me away from using the palladium in low temps and although thiswill primarily be a chassis/tierod/balljoint grease it will also have to grease my driveshaft and anything else I would need to use a grease gun for I opted for the pricey synpower as it still contains 1% moly but also has a base oil with a much wider ambient and operating temp range. If I was running multiple guns id have a nice grease like synpower for bearings and ujoints and another with a heavier grease like palladium for balljoints and such.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back