A Question For Older Jeep Wrangler Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone new the recommended coolant type for a 95 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L? Also, any brand suggestions would be wonderful!

Thanks for looking, and any help

G-05 would be a good choice also. Best if you flushed out all the old stuff first. While it did not come with G-05 (I think that is true) you can use G-05 in it without problems. I would not use any makes/any models.

Hey, thanks guys for the quick replies. I have heard a few things about the G-05. Is there anything special to flush the old out with? I know Valvoline has a flush kit I believe?

The water pump is very high on your block. If you flush it you cant get all the water out even if you pull the lower hose. There is a block drain plug on the drivers side of the engine, near the back I believe. It's a 5/16 square. If you remove it you will drain the block.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
The water pump is very high on your block. If you flush it you cant get all the water out even if you pull the lower hose. There is a block drain plug on the drivers side of the engine, near the back I believe. It's a 5/16 square. If you remove it you will drain the block.

Hey, thanks man!

I had the same engine in my 97 Wrangler. Green stuff...although I've been reading up on it here on BITOG and you can get the Prestone or WallyWorld "all makes all models" and it will do you right.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
I had the same engine in my 97 Wrangler. Green stuff...although I've been reading up on it here on BITOG and you can get the Prestone or WallyWorld "all makes all models" and it will do you right.

NO. If you use the AMAM [censored] (which is basically dexcool), flush the whole system really, really well first. If it mixes with green, you'll spend the rest of your life cleaning brown sludge and jellied coolant out of the system (been there done that).

G-05 is fine, but flush the green out first. Or, just keep using old-school green. If you don't know what's in there now, then definitely flush it well.

I used the Walmart AMAM stuff in my last motor swap.

So far, so good. No brown goo. I have a stroker going in my kid's Cherokee in Spring. I'll probably make the effort to pick up some old green.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
Originally Posted By: Kuato

NO. If you use the AMAM [censored] (which is basically dexcool), flush the whole system really, really well first. If it mixes with green, you'll spend the rest of your life cleaning brown sludge and jellied coolant out of the system (been there done that).

G-05 is fine, but flush the green out first. Or, just keep using old-school green. If you don't know what's in there now, then definitely flush it well.

What is "AMAM" ?

The all makes all models mixes with whatever coolants are only a problem if you leave it in more than 2 years.

If you really want to flush it out, pop the water pump off, you are now looking right into the water jacket, expect an inch or more of sediment if it was neglected.

Originally Posted By: Since1941
What is "AMAM" ?

All Makes All Models

Originally Posted By: default
The all makes all models mixes with whatever coolants are only a problem if you leave it in more than 2 years.

If you really want to flush it out, pop the water pump off, you are now looking right into the water jacket, expect an inch or more of sediment if it was neglected.

I've seen it cause nasty brown sediment and sludge pretty quickly when it was added to a system full of old-school green. If it's the only thing in there, however, it's generally fine (unless the dex-cool type properties eat any gaskets, etc.).

Is Havoline coolant any good? They have extended life formula, which also says dexcool approved. I called the guy at Chevron, and they stated it is okay for all vehicles. I am leery of his advise, as I have heard dexcool is not good for older cars.

Found this on matweb.com ..... here is direct link....

http://www.matweb.com/search/datasheettext.aspx?matguid=50e069bfa80741b5a5fac4707d210df9

In service Havoline Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant provides:

Meets GM 6277M--GM’s Long Life Coolant specification
5 year or 150,000 mile service interval
Provides effective, long term corrosion protection for aluminum, brass, cast iron, steel, solder and copper
Protects against winter freeze up and minimizes the chance of summer boil over
Compatible with water pump seal materials and minimizes the formation of abrasive dissolved solids
Storage stable for at least eight years
No silicate dropout or gel formation during use or storage
100% biodegradable in its pure unused form
Excellent heat transfer properties
Nitrite-, borate-, phosphate-, nitrate- and amine-free
Outstanding hot surface aluminum protection
Superior protection in high operating temperatures
Compatible with conventional antifreeze. Dilution with conventional antifreeze will reduce extended life benefits. ChevronTexaco recommends that this product not be diluted by more than 10% with conventional coolants.

Havoline Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant is a singlephase, ethylene glycol type universal automotive engine coolant based on a Texaco’s patented long life organic corrosion inhibitor system.

Havoline Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant is manufactured from ethylene glycol and a highly effective long term corrosion inhibitor package based on carboxylate technology. This inhibitor system eliminates the need for silicates, phosphates, borates, nitrites, nitrates and amine additives traditionally used for this purpose.

The replacement of these inhibitors is significant for water pump life because many of these conventional inhibitors have been shown to be abrasive to water pump seals. In comparison field tests with conventional coolants in taxi fleets, Havoline Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant significantly reduced the need to replace water pumps during the 100,000 mile test.

In addition to fleet tests, this product has also been tested by a major manufacturer of water pump seals, and has been found to be more compatible with the seals than any other coolant tested.

Havoline Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant is a universal engine coolant that incorporates patented organic acid corrosion inhibitor technology. This coolant meets both ASTM D 3306 for automotive service and ASTM D 4985 for heavy-duty diesel service. It is a nitrite-, nitrate-, phosphate-, silicate-, borate and amine-free formulation which uses Texaco’s patented carboxylate technology to provide maximum protection of the six basic metal alloys found in most heat transfer systems. Since the coolant contains no phosphates or silicates, hard water deposits in the cooling system are almost eliminated. The low level of abrasive dissolved solids in Havoline Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant results in improved water pump seal life.

The life of a coolant in an automobile engine is limited by the corrosion protection ability of the corrosion inhibitors. The main corrosion inhibitors in Havoline Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant have been shown to remain above 95% of their original concentration after 150,000 miles in automobiles. This allows much longer intervals between coolant changes without worrying about loss of corrosion protection.

Used Havoline Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant was tested in laboratory controlled corrosion tests for new coolants after it had already been in service for more than 100,000 miles. The used Havoline Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant passed the ASTM D 1384 requirements for glassware corrosion with results equivalent to new coolants and also passed the ASTM D 4340 Aluminum Hot Surface Test for new coolant. Havoline Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant represents the next generation of universal engine coolants. This coolant is suitable for a five year or 150,000 miles service life in automotive applications.

Note: These products are not to be used to protect the inside of potable water systems against fr

CPS Number: 227994; MSDS Number: 10299

As a fellow Jeep owner, I'd agree with those who suggest either sticking with conventional, or going to G-05 (Motorcraft Gold, Mopar, or Zerex).

I absolutely would NOT risk trying to convert this engine/cooling system to "all makes/all models" (which really means its not right for anything), or to DexCool. Just too many different metals, gasket materials, and other variables to be sure that a silicate-free formula or one that contains 2EHA (both true for DexCool) could really do the job without damage.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
As a fellow Jeep owner, I'd agree with those who suggest either sticking with conventional, or going to G-05 (Motorcraft Gold, Mopar, or Zerex).

I absolutely would NOT risk trying to convert this engine/cooling system to "all makes/all models" (which really means its not right for anything), or to DexCool. Just too many different metals, gasket materials, and other variables to be sure that a silicate-free formula or one that contains 2EHA (both true for DexCool) could really do the job without damage.

Thanks a lot for the help! I was reading, that Zerex G-05 shouldn't be used unless swapping in a newer radiator. I used it in the past when I put a Griffin 3 Stage all aluminum radiator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back