Iran's new stealth fighter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: carwreck

W9kBaPh.jpg

Cockpit electronics

Hey! Wait!! That DIN-sized Item located just to the right of that little Red handle, Thats My Old car stereo that got ripped off last year!!

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
"the Qaher 313 could be powered by reverse engineered variants of the General Electric J85 turbojet that Iran is known to have in its possession"

It seems like a turbofan would be much better to use to reduce IR tracking. I'm have real doubts about the accuracy of the wiki article at this time.

It looks like a magnificently nifty prototype though; very interesting.

539231_10151267005458603_1369844746_n-thumb-560x840-171933.jpg

I thought at first the wingtip was a pylon a la f-104, for droptanks, but it turns out it's in fact a negative dihedral segment of wing of significant size. I suspect it would be for stability, to decrease the stall speed of the main wing below that of the canard's stall speed.

Iranian-Qaher-313-fighter-jet4.jpg

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2013/02/irans-new-qaher-313-stealth-fi.html

Seeing how they claimed to have made this jet, you'd think the 'danger' decal would be in Farsi.

And I'm no engineer, but those wings look way too small to keep that thing in the air even if it was real. I think they just made themselves the laughing stock of the internet. It looks like something a kid would think of.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Steve, I had the same thought. Why did they even waste the money? Who will they ever use this against?

IMO this is just propaganda for public dissemination to try and convince the world they are "cutting edge" and not to be messed with.

Overkill, I always thought just one big glass bowl out in the middle of the desert just as a demonstration would have saved a lot of American and Coalition lives.

Clevy, I was only speaking of an air war. I fully agree that the area is toxic, IMO we should have annexed Iraq's oil supplies and pumped them out to pay for their own liberation. We could have kicked them back 10% and then left the infrastructure we would have had to build, we should not be losing our GREAT kids over there to those types.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Steve, I had the same thought. Why did they even waste the money? Who will they ever use this against?

The US Navy.

We have a carrier off their coast constantly. They've bought Chinese anti-ship missiles, Russian rockets and ballistic missiles, bought submarines, bought and built a fleet of Fast Attack Craft of varying ranges and capabilities (think cigarette boats with weapons)....all are focused on one thing: the US Navy in the Arabian Gulf.

With the US Navy there, Iran cannot threaten its neighbors, Iran can't close the Straits of Hormuz (through which nearly 50% of the world's oil flows) and they cannot be seen as a major player on the world stage, which is what they really want.

They are actively seeking a nuclear weapon (despite the press' blissful ignorance and complicity in this) and they're building longer and longer range ballistic missiles with which to deliver it. By holding Israel, and eventually, Europe, at risk, then they will be seen to be strong, which, again, is what they want.

The only thing in their way is the US Navy.

The IIAF is not a paper tiger however...they've reverse-engineered a lot of spare parts and sourced parts and supplies from all sorts of willing governments. They still have the 70+ F-14s that they were sold in the 70s. Opinions vary on the readiness and combat capability of that particular fleet.

But this airplane? Looks like a mock-up to me...

The more I look at it the more it reminds me of a Military training aircraft that some high school kid got a hold of and decided to add some fiberglass "Bling".

Like this Russian Yak-130
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakovlev_Yak-130

Or this Argintine Trainer:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FMA_IA_63_Pampa

Indian Air Force's Trainer:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HAL_HJT-36

Last I heard the U.S. Had sold several of our trainers to Qatar and Saudi Arabia. Although they don't normally come with pylons to mount weapons to, or have weapon packages attached to their avionics, there are several international firms that will add them for a fee.

Just saying, if you have a decent weapon system with decent range, the delivery system can be off the shelf parts.

Think the Predator. It started its life by the CIA piecing together off the shelf parts. It's a 2-cycle snowmobile engine, a fixed prop, and fiberglass wings with a really powerful camera and GPS. The thing that does the work was a generic Hellfire missile.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Seeing how they claimed to have made this jet, you'd think the 'danger' decal would be in Farsi.

And I'm no engineer, but those wings look way too small to keep that thing in the air even if it was real. I think they just made themselves the laughing stock of the internet. It looks like something a kid would think of.

I think Iranian pilots are trained in english and even largely use anglo aircraft. This is pretty typical, whether you're japanese or german; you're going to know english as far as aviation speech goes.

The wingloading looks high, but definitely no higher than an f-104 or even f-5. It's also a small craft, somewhere between the size of those two fighters; maybe 6 max 7 tons.

It does not look like a gi joe playtoy and was definitely designed to fly. The main wings are over the engines (the heaviest part of the aircraft) as well as the apparent center of mass. It has fairly large canards which also contribute to total lift. It even looks stable on the pitch axis, with the main wings stalling after the canards would.

I'm guessing they're using aluminum and may not be advanced enough with manufacturing to use much titanium. I don't see there being much room for a lot of armament; maybe a few small agm's or two aa's, inside, depending on whether it is fitted to defensive or offensive role. It looks like it could strap some conformal droptanks on the belly between the landing gears. In the latter role, it could be a real menace if used simultaneously with cruise missile and drone attack.

It does seem like a prototype, or 1st generation of this design with room for improvements (has a smaller engine, and possibly no stealth materials yet other than black paint). There is a neat collection of photos here: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/iran/qaher-313-pics.htm

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Guess one of ours crashed and they cloned it. Or maybe China sold them the build instructions.

Maybe Iran bought the kit from IKEA. The assembly instructions that come with some of their stuff are atrocious, so it couldn't have been an easy task.
smile.gif

LOL
If the Iraqi Military is anything like the Saddam's Elite Republican Guard, [or whatever they called themselves during Desert Storm] when it comes time to start the engine they'll be surrendering.

I love the claims: "According to Iranian government sources, the F-313 Qaher was designed and is indigenously produced in Iran by the Aviation Industries Organization (AIO), a division of the Ministry of Defense, and IRIAF. The project manager is Hassan Parvaneh.[7][8]

The aircraft design is a canard configuration. It is stated to be a stealth fighter built with advanced materials with a very low radar signature[9] and with low-altitude operations capability.[10] It was also claimed that the Qaher can take off and land on short runways and has "easy maintenance".[11] Qaher has a payload capacity of carrying two 2000 pound bombs, or greater number of smaller smart guided missiles, or at least 6 air-to-air missiles in the category of PL-12.[12]"

They're all pretty optimistic...and dubious...save one: low altitude capability.

oooh...low altitude capability? which means, what, exactly? Since it has to take off and land, it had better be able to operate at low altitude!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
oooh...low altitude capability? which means, what, exactly?

It means that it has no high altitude capability.
smile.gif

It should a fun target for our Navy should the Iranians muster the ballz to try and use it against us.

I had a meeting at work (Honeywell Flight Control Systems) with the flight control designers today and they all were laughing so hard at the ridiculous wings and canards of this aircraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back