Purpose of engine cover?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car: Kia |Sportage 2007. What is the purpose of the black plastic engine cover (the one you see atop the engine, that hides the valve cover) other than an aesthetic one? I'm inclined to remove it permanently as it hides many of the engine components that I like to inspect visually everyday.

Primarily there to make the engine look high tech and fancy. I have removed the cover on the Mazda in my sig and it has not blown up yet lol.

The one on our Camry has sound insulation under it so I guess it serves a purpose. It's mainly decorative in the Maxima and Miata.

It's there for NVH and appearance.

Remove it and enjoy looking at your engine.

I have never understood why people prefer a [censored] piece of plastic to being able to see the engine. The people who would prefer the plastic monstrosity covering their engine probably never pop the hood anyway.

To add just a little more labor on to engine repairs for removing and reinstalling it. And a few ounces of weight as well. Half a pound times 14 million cars per year equals 3,500 tons of add'l weight to the national fleet. You have to wonder if it traps heat during operation as well.

Noise insulation.
With more modern cars going to 20 wt oil, a cover was needed to keep the metal-to-metal grinding noise to a minimum.
Trolling.gif

Just to cover the engine. Some have insulation attached to them, but not all. I took mine off, but then I installed a Trick Flow intake plenum, which is meant for a Mustang so the writing is upside down. It tripped my OCD so I made a bracket out of a piece of steel to allow me to reinstall it.

People would say vanity, but one of the main reasons is to seal the engine over from the extremely casual DIY'er.

People with calloused mitts, after opening and closing a hood a bunch of times, will eventually figure out what they can do just by eyeing an engine while checking the dipstick.

Then they never go to the dealership and the dealer has a call bot leave a voice mail weekly to go in for service.

Also hides discolored aluminum, engine oil spills, some mild sound damping.

When I first got my Cobalt new, I opened the engine bay and was like whaaaat.

Haha Gabe....

Most have sound insulation under them to mask intake noise. Some of them are more effectual than others. I owned two Northstar engines and the cover on those engines certainly made a difference in intake noise. Especially the mid-throttle mid-RPM mid-load sounds...where the engine's under a decent load and inhaling a lot of air. My folks' Jeep Wrangler with the Pentastar engine also has an engine cover and it, too, is loaded with insulation underneath. I did remove the cover on my rental Chrysler 300 (same engine) and there was a difference in noise. Our Acura MDX has an engine cover with some insulation, and there is a difference in noise there, too. I leave it on. Our Honda CR-V has a small plastic cover that covers the fuel injectors and about half of the intake manifold, but there is no insulation on it, and there is no difference in noise on that one. In fact, most of the new Honda K-series engines come from the factory with no cover now, though you can order a cover kit to install if you like.

They keep dust/dirt/water off the coil on plugs, wires, or whatever else is under there. I wouldn't remove it.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Most have sound insulation under them to mask intake noise.

And then some cars like the mustang, run a pipe bring more engine noise into the cabin
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: VicVinegar
I believe their origin was on luxury models for controlling NVH. Now they are on nearly everything for little reason other than looks.

Bingo.

These covers still have a function of controlling NVH in higher end models, but on most econoboxes they're just used to hide the mess under the hood to make it look upscale.

As others have said, mostly for noise and looks. A lot of modern engines have odd noises and it's to keep those noises from causing concern. I know on my Ecoboost 3.5 it's insulated and there is a bottom cover. It's to keep the noise from the high pressure fuel pump and injectors at bay. There is even added insulation on the fuel pump as it's very clicky. And still at idle it's a "clicky" engine.

I also wonder if there is some airflow directing going on with it? I doubt it would be much but some may server ot direct the heat from the radiator fans over and out the back?

Originally Posted By: Burt
And then some cars like the mustang, run a pipe bring more engine noise into the cabin
smile.gif

Or like some recent BMWs, electronically re-create engine noise and play it through the sound system speakers.

On my old BMW they call it a sound dampener and it does do that to some extent. The engine is ever so slightly louder in the cabin without it.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
IN addition to what MarkM66 said, is it possible that it funnels air over the engine to help cooling?

It's possible but I doubt it,maybe engine specific but I would think a cover would hold heat against the engine.
Covers are for looks. Sometimes they double as a sound dampener too.

Originally Posted By: Gabe
Noise insulation.
With more modern cars going to 20 wt oil, a cover was needed to keep the metal-to-metal grinding noise to a minimum.
Trolling.gif

Rubbish, it's so you can't hear the rattling when hot. Grinding noises are from not using an 0W in winter.

Flip it over, is there insulation that fits snug on the valve cover? If so its more than looks. Dust cover and insulator for valve noise. Can you live without it? Yeah. But most are 2 screws and 30 seconds to remove.

Aesthetics, and to dissuade the less mechanically inclined from even having a look at the engine and thus forcing a trip to the dealer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back