What's Largest filter to fit a M18x1.5 mm threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for a very large oil filter to fit on my Buick 3.8 liter V8 powered 914. Space is not an issue near the filter mount. I have the smallish 18mm X 1.5 mm threads on the mount.

I am looking at a longer (it is about 5 inches long) filter such as the WIX 51036, however that filter is still the same diameter as the one I want to upgrade from.

Is there a much larger filter available that will fit the 18 mm threads? I can go a lot fatter and even a bit longer than the 51036. I can fit a BIG can there, as Big as the Fram HP1, if it had the correct threads, and gasket.

P.S. The filter gasket is about 2 5/8 inch diameter.

Thank You

Buick made a 3.8 V8? Full make model year of the car (or the engine of it has been changed or the year of a car it was in normally would help). Also, why are you wanting a very large filter? I assume you are trying to accomplish something or correct an issue? Just longer drains? better peace of mild? Stand next to the other guys on the block and measure your filters together?

Found some info. For purolator, PL10111 is the normal filter,
PL24011 would be oversized, but I imagine it's pretty similar to the WIX you mentioned.

Bigger is not always better!
In fact on one of my cars I went for a smaller filter.

My motor is in a Porsche 914. It is a 231 (3.8) Buick V6 modified for High Performance. Amoung other things it has a high output oil pump, hence it has high oil pressure. upwards of 90 psi but usually 60 psi at freeway speed when warmed up.

The stock sized oil filter (Fram TG3387) failed, the filter media was crushed, it evidenlty could not handle the oil flow.

I want to get a larger, stronger filter, with greater filter media area, to reduce the chance of the media getting crushed again.

Here is the related topic...Filter for Buick V6 high performance

Can you get the 18mm stud out of the engine? Put a 3/4" in and the world's your oyster.

A larger(taller) filter will have a longer run for the filter element between the end caps. This longer run equates to more surface area. That increased surface area may actually result in less pressure/flow being needed to collapse the filter element.

As said bigger is not always better.

Materials and filter construction of the filter could likely have a big impact on how this would play out.

the larger hastings M18 thread filters are for fuel not for oil service. But thanks anyway.

i am still looking

Originally Posted By: flstffxe
A larger(taller) filter will have a longer run for the filter element between the end caps. This longer run equates to more surface area. That increased surface area may actually result in less pressure/flow being needed to collapse the filter element.

But with more surface area, the same amount of oil flow has more area to flow through, which means there is less pressure delta across the media and therefore less force trying to crush the center tube. The manufacturer designs each filter to withstand a certain amount of delta pressure ... so if the element is longer between end caps, they have considered the forces involved and designed accordingly (ie, beefier center tube if needed).

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Thanks 3311.

I had been looking for something like this to find larger filter(s) for my S2000 with thread size M20x1.5

Baldwin B7042 or B202 both are over twice as large as the S2000 oil filter. I have 62k miles on my '06 S and have run nothing but the larger Baldwins.

ROD

The longer PH2380-sized filter would be nearly twice the surface area as the PH3387. The Fram that failed has a relatively weak center tube and can, plus weak fiber end cap, better suited to stock engines/oil pressures and flow, etc. A Wix filter would be better for sure (get the longer size one) as they are built like tanks. Mobil 1 M-201, K&N and Bosch Distance Plus would also be built like tanks and withstand anything you throw at it, and can be found on sale. A wire screen-backed synthetic media would probably give you best flow and media durability. Wix makes these as does Purolator. Royal Purple and Amsoil are like this too, but more expensive.

What viscosity oil do you run? These oil filters have no bypass valve as the engine/oil pump should have the bypass valve built in. If the bypass valve pressure has been raised by a heavier spring pressure or whatever, this can really put an oil filter's construction to the test with pressure and flow, esp with a high output oil pump pushing it all.

You may do best with an oil filter that favors flow over super-fine filtration. Start with the Wix perhaps.

Originally Posted By: porvdub
Fram TG3387

The Fram Racing HP9 is a direct cross for that filter, and the HP11 is a taller (4.89" long) version.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Thanks 3311.

I had been looking for something like this to find larger filter(s) for my S2000 with thread size M20x1.5
Your welcome! I think I got it from an old thread where Gary Allan had posted that site.

Last edited:
correction: correct longer fram filter # is PH3980 (don't use this one!)
instead, consider these well-built, heavy duty filters:

Wix 51036
Mobil 1 M1-201
K&N HP-2001
Bosch Distance Plus D3430

These have full synthetic, wire-backed filter media:

Royal Purple 20-51A
Amsoil EAO23
Fram XG3980

The Fram racing HP11 oil filter probably sacrifices high efficiency (small particle filtration) for higher flow through the media. It appears to be the only filter of the group with a bypass relief valve located inside the filter, probably as a safety back-up to the one inside the engine. Some engine builders will modify the oil bypass pressure in the engine, putting additional pressure and flow to the oil filter.

Ok, I just placed an order for the RJC Racing Buick filter adaptor. This part screws onto the existing M18 x 1.5 filter nipple, and converts it to the 13/16 -16 thread size. this will allow a whole bunch more filter sizes to be selected.

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back