Suggestions for next purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently own:
12 ga Benelli Nova pump
Glock 23 Gen 4 .40 cal
Saiga .308
Marlin 795 .22LR

I feel like I've got the bases covered for my purposes, so now comes for enjoyment. What gun would compliment my current ones as a for fun gun? I've been thinking of more of a tack driver for long range fun but looking for anything that will peak my interest.

This is my own, but I really want a Sig P229 with nice amenities... Model # E29-40-BSS-SRT

Mosin Nagant for cheap long range fun or a 9mm something or other. I'd sell the .40 personally. 9mm is drastically cheaper and does the same job. I like to shoot, so the $$$ difference is worth it to me. Never heard of anyone liking getting shot with a 9mm if you want to go down that tired argument too...

Originally Posted By: Nyquist
This is my own, but I really want a Sig P229 with nice amenities... Model # E29-40-BSS-SRT

I like that idea.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Mosin Nagant for cheap long range fun or a 9mm something or other. I'd sell the .40 personally. 9mm is drastically cheaper and does the same job. I like to shoot, so the $$$ difference is worth it to me. Never heard of anyone liking getting shot with a 9mm if you want to go down that tired argument too...

I just bought the .40 a couple months ago for CC. It's staying in the herd as it doesn't get shot much. I wouldn't have the .308 either if ammo price was my main factor.

Originally Posted By: salv
i don't see a lever gun on your list. how about a marlin 1895 in .45-70?

Recoil is my main concern with a larger rifle. Do you know how manageable it would be? I've got a soft spot for Marlins, but I'm 5'7" 140 lbs, and the Saiga gives me a enough side kick.

Last edited:
How about a CZ550 in 375 H&H? Gets you a rifle that will kill any animal in the world, but can be loaded down for deer, and is pretty darn accurate as well.

it has a mule's kick, but you can buy different loads. 300 grain, 405 grain. it would also be a fun one to start handloading with.

Love the idea of lever but 45-70 why? Shooting bear and elephants?

I'm a big fan f the marlin levers in .38/357 for a low cost and fun rifle.

shooting is fun, but it is more fun when your target explodes
grin.gif
. big bang + big fun.

Long Range - .17 HMR, a funny plinking caliber that will reach a lot further than the .22
Utilitarian/Somewhat Long Range - .556, AR-15 if you can find one, hunt with it, plink with it, defend with it, plus .223/.556 is usually pretty affordable but you may have to wait until the present scare is over

None of the above suggestions are bad. I suggest you build an AR-15 that would give you something to fill the void between the .22 and .308 and also give you something with a little different flavor than what you have now. There's a plethora of information online about sourcing, building, etc. You can customize them to no end, plus you'll get the satisfaction of learning about and building your own rifle. Trust me, it will turn into a hobby - it's addicting. The current market craze has put parts and ammunition at a premium but there are still deals out there if you're willing to search, which has actually been pretty fun - thrill of the chase. You really can't go wrong here because any new firearm is fun! All this said, I would grab a .243 Browning X Bolt Medallion, slap a good scope on it, and stock up on ammo hahaha.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Love the idea of lever but 45-70 why? Shooting bear and elephants?

I'm a big fan f the marlin levers in .38/357 for a low cost and fun rifle.

45-70 isn't that bad for recoil. Heavy bullet (400gr) but slow moving. Really good for shooting where there might be brush and very effective at close range.

It was the standard cartridge for the US Army a while back...my trap-door Springfield is a 45-70...

Was planning on a lever gun in .45-70 myself...some day...

I understand that and always kind of wanted a marlin lever 45-70, but have zero use.

Can you deer hunt with rifle in PA? NJ and DE I believe not due to the density.

But the op wanted a fun gun for driving tacks, and to me having greater capacity and shooting cheap .38spl does this better than having four rounds of pricey .45-70 to shoot. Plus I can take my marlin lever into any indoor range without a care.

A good tack driver would be a 22-250 Remington Howa 1500 heavy barrel rifle. Or if you must go cheaper, then the same rifle in 223 Remington would also be a great gun. My friend has one and it shoots sub MOA with 50 to 55 grain loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back