What is Z-MAX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is this Z MAX I hear so much about, and is it good? Any advice, thoughts and help is appreciated. My father was asking me about it.

Thank you in advance,

Adam

It sounds familiar, back in the days of PTFE resin? If so pass. Attracts deposits. Slick50 did that to me, another PTFE product. If its something else and not PTFE, disregard.

Snake oil. If you need more Zinc try a classic car, HM or traditional HDEO oil. Some folks breaking in flat tappet recon jobs that don't want to buy a special break in oil add extra Zinc and Moly sometimes.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Snake oil.

Technically it is very overpriced mineral oil.

Snake oil. I've never bought any but I had a friend who used it religiously in a ford 5.8. Spun a bearing at 100000 miles. He used Mobil 1 exclusively as well but even the mighty mobil 1 couldn't help what zmax was doing.
There are very few friction modifying additives that actually work. MOS2 by liqui-moly works as does their cera-tec additive.
Gm labels a zddp additive as well. I haven't used any of them in a while although I would again if I thought I needed them.
Good oil really doesn't need anything,but I have seen a fuel economy increase with the liqui-moly additives I mentioned.

Originally Posted By: skyship
Snake oil. If you need more Zinc try a classic car, HM or traditional HDEO oil. Some folks breaking in flat tappet recon jobs that don't want to buy a special break in oil add extra Zinc and Moly sometimes.

I dont think its a zinc additive. But nice try. Your expertise really shows

Originally Posted By: electrolover
Whats it supposed to do besides cost $20?
Or is its only purpose to be bought?
Bingo. It's primary use is to transfer money from your bank account to theirs.

Seems unusual that the FAA approved its use in aircraft motors where it has been used for a long time. Whether its beneficial or not, I have no idea, but I would believe that if it has had any harmful effect they would have come to light by now. I know a few pilots who have used it regularly.

Originally Posted By: mikered30
Originally Posted By: dparm
Snake oil.

Technically it is very overpriced mineral oil.

Yeah mineral oil. Some food coloring appeal, fancy label and box, nice bottle, has to impact the cost but the wallet took the biggest impact - sure glad they don't run all them TV skits like they used to.
Nice gift for those you hate.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tc1446
Seems unusual that the FAA approved its use in aircraft motors where it has been used for a long time. Whether its beneficial or not, I have no idea, but I would believe that if it has had any harmful effect they would have come to light by now. I know a few pilots who have used it regularly.

Say what you want about it, I have personally seen some amazing pistons out of a Lycoming aircraft engine rebuilt at my BIL's shop. Truly clean pistons and rings like a 20k mile car engine in a motor with a couple thousand hours on it! The guy was an old pilot who used it in his planes.

Zmax actually prevailed in their FCC lawsuit, the product does some things very well despite the hoo-hah.

There is no comparison between an aero engine and a modern car one. Different compression ratios, fuel type, injection system and even ignition control. I wonder what the chances are that it was tested in all the different engine types to see if it worked and to check for long term damage to seals and bearings etc. Close to nil is my guess as it takes years and big bucks to test a new lubricant additive.

Originally Posted By: shell_user
What is this Z MAX I hear so much about, and is it good? Any advice, thoughts and help is appreciated. My father was asking me about it.

Thank you in advance,

Adam

I haven't used it but they are the only additive I have seen that had to put up or shut up in a court of law and were able to put up enough to validate making their claims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back