How often to Change Brake Fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mikered30
Every two years is the recommendation to remove the water build up.

Whose recommendation? The owner's manuals for neither of our vehicles says anything about brake fluid.

I've been wondering the same thing, so thanks for posting Realtech214

Originally Posted By: barlowc

Whose recommendation? The owner's manuals for neither of our vehicles says anything about brake fluid.

I've been wondering the same thing, so thanks for posting Realtech214

And all of my owners manuals either say one or two years for that very reason.

It really is odd that some say it and some say absolutely nothing...

Ive heard about moisture building up in brake systems but every two years sounds like nonsense. Mines been 10 years with no problems. Although I'll probably do a flush eventually.
And my chevy manuel says nothing about brake fluid changing either

Last edited:
most manufacturers don't have an interval. it is normally recommended that it be inspected at certain intervals. the expectation is that it will get changed if it fails an inspection, either visual inspection for contamination, or chemical inspection for ph.
mercedes and subaru are the two that stand out in my mind for change intervals.
i would say, either every 30k or whenever brake pads are changed. when brake pads wear too low, the caliper piston pushes out too far and allows water into the brake hydraulics. water interferes with the proper operation of the brakes, it causes corrosion of the lines from the inside out, it corrodes the internals of abs motor and pump assemblies, and it boils in the caliper when hot, creating steam which pushes brake fluid out of the caliper, preventing closure.
water can also enter through rubber brake hoses because rubber is porous and the glycols in brake fluid are like a magnet for water.

Last edited:
Nothing in my 2007 Chev Uplander manual about changing brake fluid.

How can moisture get into the fluid if there is no leak?
Decades ago when the master cylinder reservoir was metal and you had to remove the cap periodically to check level is when moisture got in.
Today it's a sealed unit.

I haven't changed brake fluid for 40 yrs and never had a line deteriorate from the inside.

Usually its only changed when necessary (Ie: when experiencing braking issues).

Doing it once every two years is probably plenty. Once every five is probably fine; its more often then most people ever will.

if you fluid has a brownish/greenish tinge to it, that is disolved copper from your lines. that only happens when the metals in the lines begin to corrode, either because of moisture in the lines, or degradation of the fluid.
most brake line failures do occur because of corrosion inside the lines. they rot from the inside out. your brakes' hydraulic system is not a completely sealed system. water will enter through any and all rubber portions.
just because the brakes haven't failed, does not mean that the system does not require maintenance. you don't wait for an engine to start knocking before changing the oil.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
How can moisture get into the fluid if there is no leak?

Don't the constant temperature fluctuations cause moisture condensation?

GM and Ford and basically Chrysler and the Domestics don't suggest a brake fluid change interval. GM uses DOT 3 which boiling point wet doesn't drop as much as DOT 4 and their particularly brake fluid is claimed to be longer life, along with EPDM lined hoses. GM instructs to not open the master cylinder cap and to not top up the brake fluid as the pads wear.

That said with ABS being so common, it wouldn't be a horrible idea to flush out the brake fluid after 4-5 years or when the pads are changed. It'd probably be best to use the Delco supreme II though rather than the common Prestone or Valvoline Dot 3,4. Really you don't need to bother with it.

I would add that I personally think that if you want to help extended the ABS modules life properly changing the brake fluid every 2-3 years even on Domestics is probably a good idea.

Last edited:

Gm says 7 years.
I never heard of 2 years from a mfr..
And where is this water coming from? It is a sealed system.

There are home test kits. Just test it and see what it says. Mine showed high metals at 60k miles / 7 yrs old. Flushed it and the old fluid was several shades darker than the new.

Originally Posted By: Realtech214
2003 silverado 80000 Miles. how often to change brake fluid? I have never needed to add any fluid so I know there are no leaks

I got the same vehicle (2003 Sierra) I bought brand new. I changed it once at 140k.

My 2000 Saturn just had it changed for the 1st time a month ago and noticed no difference.

Most German manufactures recommend 2 years with DOt-4, most Japanese manufactures recommend 3 years with DOt-3, Domestic manufactures is varied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back