Supertech 10W30 Burning up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried supertech 10W30 in my Deere lawn mower and It burned up about 1/4 quart durring 3-4 mows. The John Deere stuff i usualy run in it never burns at all. Is supertech known for burning a bit of oil or is it just not ment for air cooled engines

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Air cooled engines, especially in the Gulf Coast states, need straight 30wt.

+ 1 , Anywhere unless you have below freezing temperatures

Originally Posted By: Realtech214
Deere stuff is 10W30.. just wanted to try the wallyworld stuff, wont use it again though

It's probably a 10W-30 HDEO, not an SN/GF5 PCMO like the Supertech.

If it were mine, I'd run Rotella T6 in it.

I've been running Mobil 1 10W/30 in all my OPE for atleast 20 years. Every piece of equipment still runs like new and no smoke except for the 2008 Honda powered Husqvarna push mower which is a [censored] engine anyhow.

Conventional non-ope 10W-30 probably isn't a good choice for your mower as far as protection, at least in the summer time. That being said a decent synthetic should do great at protection, and help your engine run a bit cooler.

I have run Pennzoil Platinum 10W-30 in my Deere 165 Hydro riding mower and the oil level was just barely below the full line after running it all summer. I've also used Shell Rotella 10W-30 with good results if your looking for a good conventional hdeo, and it can be found cheaply pretty much anywhere.

I've used D1 (and TDT) 5w40 as well as M1 0w40 with no consumption issues in my air cooled OPE gear, a straight-weight is not needed. Mind you, I supposed the argument could be made that an expensive synthetic isn't needed either, so that cuts both ways
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: electrolover
Air cooled engines run too hot for a 10/30 dino. Not to mention they need more ZDDP than an SN.
Run a syn, hdeo or sae 30

Good advice.
It's a lawn mower so unless you have some half quarts of syn laying around from an oil change I wouldn't go out and buy any.
Use rotella conventional. 10w-30 or 15w-40 and change every fall

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I've used D1 (and TDT) 5w40 as well as M1 0w40 with no consumption issues in my air cooled OPE gear, a straight-weight is not needed. Mind you, I supposed the argument could be made that an expensive synthetic isn't needed either, so that cuts both ways
wink.gif

I see you are from Ontario, Canada. Have you mowed much down here across the Gulf Coast states? Just wondering.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

wink.gif

I see you are from Ontario, Canada. Have you mowed much down here across the Gulf Coast states? Just wondering.

No, but I've mowed in 32+C temperatures with high humidity (95F) which from what I can see for your average temperatures, is certainly comparable.

Ontario gets quite hot in the summer. The difference is that we also get quite cold in the winter. You don't. Record high for the GTA is 105F.

WM 10-30 works great in my toro where all other 5w 30 turn matalic looking quick.

If a topic interests you please start a new one. Dragging 7 year old topics help no one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back