Fram Defends Paper Endcaps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ran across this video on Youtube, and thought BITOG would appreciate Fram defending their use of paper endcaps. (Sorry if this video has been previously posted)

What they ultimately suggest is that the purpose of the end caps is to provide a good seal on either end of the filter (e.g. between the end disk and filter media), with paper "working with the filter design" to provide a proper seal for filtration.

I particularly enjoyed their cutaways of other filters to show their end caps - especially the Bentley filter that also has a paper end cap!

Not meant to persuade anyones minds on paper end caps (I prefer the Motorcraft filter with metal end caps myself); but I thought it'd be worth posting.

Fram also has posted a number of other videos showing burst pressure, vibration, and dirt filtration testing. Obviously it's to market the Fram filter, but it is still cool to see exactly how manufacturers test their filters.

I've said this a number of times in this forum. If FRAM used material that was a little thicker and stiffer for their end cap so they don't warp and maintain a nice flat end, then FRAM could improve this design some. Only issue I have with the paper/fiber end caps is they can warp and distort which could cause leakage or element distortion.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
If the fiber endcap is so good, why does fram make any filters with metal endcaps?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Why their top of line filter, the ULTRA, has metal end cap ?

If you meant the Ultra having metal end caps ... that's because it's construction of 2 layers of media with a wire mesh backing needs to have metal end caps so all that can be potted/glued to prevent leakage. All the other FRAM filters just have paper based media which can be glued directly to the non-metal end caps.

I personally don't care what material the end caps are on the filters I use. I care about filtration, capacity, overall quality and filter - block gasket.

I prefer the Mobil 1 type filters. They just so happen to use metal end caps.... Had they been using filter caps, I'd still use them.

Fram can say what they want about their fiber end disk. I've heard conflicting info from them about their oil filters anyway. I even cut up a TG and found Bad QC problems. I even know that Motorking on here made a post on the Purolator Youtube page bashing purolator and promoting their own filters. I think I'm going to call FRAM out and post their beta results on here on their oil filters. We all seen the P1's beta test on here, so lets see frams.

Just my
49.gif

Originally Posted By: DirtRacer53
I think I'm going to call FRAM out and post their beta results on here on their oil filters. We all seen the P1's beta test on here, so lets see frams.

The FRAM filter efficiency is shown on their website. Worse rated one is 95% @ >20 microns (per ISO 4548-12 testing).
http://fram.com/products/oil_filters/product_list

Most have pretty good efficiency. Like pointed out about the center tubes ... they do seem pretty thin. FRAM needs to beef up the end caps and the center tube a bit, and it would be a better constructed filter IMO.

They've convinced many folks to buy a run of the mill filter at a premium price. They don't need to change a thing since Joe Wallymart gets his Fram and Fram gets to use less costly/easier to manufacture materials. Happy consumer, profitable company, and filtered oil.

It's that "good seal" that worries me. Not the fiber ends.

Fram's Quality Assurance dosen't leave me that warm and fuzzy. Especially on their orange cans.

Their Tough Guard and Ultra are a different story. Those two are very well made.

crackmeup2.gif
Now the Fram haters wanna know why they use metal end caps. They just can't stop. I don't understand how bright BITOG people suddenly become dumb with Frams. Like the mind shuts down and they wanna believe paper end cap myths. Weird.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
It's that "good seal" that worries me. Not the fiber ends.

Fram's Quality Assurance dosen't leave me that warm and fuzzy. Especially on their orange cans.

Their Tough Guard and Ultra are a different story. Those two are very well made.

What "good seal" are you worried about? non-porous metal glued to paper? or paper glued to paper? Which of those 2 do you think can be pulled apart easier? If thats not it, what seal do you mean? What "warm and fuzzy" QA are you comparing to? Send me the other companies QA info that makes you warm and fuzzy so we can compare.

He's probably talking about the seal around the center tube hole on the end caps. If the end caps warp or deform in use, there can be leakage in that area. That's why I said FRAM should use thicker/stiffer end caps that stay nice and flat and won't warp under any kind of use. They are trying to get by with the minimum amount of materials.

Yeah, but thats hypothetical "what if" stuff. No proof any of that is a real issue. Toyotas see no need for end caps at all. That all I'm saying - that these worries are based on internet myths and rumors, nothing more.

The bottom line with the basic Fram Orange filter is that at the price point they charge for the filter it's a poor choice. Paper/fiber end caps or not the media looks just awful and cheap compared to other filters in it's price range or even less. Sure, it may filter 95% but how much dirt can it hold with so little media surface area? Then, add to this, that Walmart is now selling Purulator Classics for $3.27 with better media and steel end caps and the Fram orange can looks even worse.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Yeah, but thats hypothetical "what if" stuff. No proof any of that is a real issue. Toyotas see no need for end caps at all. That all I'm saying - that these worries are based on internet myths and rumors, nothing more.

Can't really compare the construction between the Toyota Denso filter and the FRAM - totally different design. If you've ever cut open a Toyota Denso filter you'll see that every pleat is glued at the end (maybe not an ideal design either), and there is a small ring around the center tube hole area that helps act like a mini end cap and a sealing area.

A similar youtube was posted a while back which had basically the same information. One of the interesting replies was from member modularV8 linked below regarding an SAE paper,

specifically SAE paper number: 2010-01-1542.
"The Evaluation of Mechanical Design and
Comparison of Automotive Oil Filters" One of the finding is, according to modularV8

"Cardboard is not a superior material for an endcap due to possible durability issues". Oil operating temperature and fluctuations in pressure and flow rates over time could lead to "porosity" of the cardboard endcap or "total failure".

According to mod8 this is a peer reviewed paper done by two researchers with some very respectable credentials which can be viewed/read in the link.

So opinions can vary on fiber v metal endcaps. But, if one has read this board for some time the major issue which has also been presented in this thread is paying a premium for fiber construction versus metal endcap options.

Bitog thread (modularV8), Video about Fram end caps.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Oil operating temperature and fluctuations in pressure and flow rates over time could lead to "porosity" of the cardboard endcap or "total failure".
Fram mentions the porosity of the fiber endcaps in the video - saying it can be an advantage as it acts as additional filter media.

While that actually could carry truth, there is still no doubt that the biggest concern is durability, which is reduced because of the porosity of the paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back