Who has used Slick50?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used it in a 85 mazda b2000. I first used it at about 10,000 miles, i started it up right after the dose of slick 50 and a complete oil change there was no more ticking that I always got prior to using it. After 50,000 miles it began to tick again after oil changes so I gave it anothr dose and then was quiet again till about 100,000 miles. I did notice that the oil light did not stay on right after oil changes as long either after the dose.

I used it in a few different vehicles, a dodge truck and a Chrysler Newport with a 400 engine. The newport turned over much easier in the winter (parked outside during a Mn winter). I didnt notice any mileage gains in either vehicle. I did end up having to change spark plugs in both engines due to the spark gaps building up with a hard coating, almost to the point of the gap being completely filled on several of the plugs between the two engines. Both of the engines had higher miles and used some oil (mostly due to bad seals). The plugs needed to be changed several more times within the next 10,000 miles or so until the build up finaly ended. A while back I used in in my wifes Concord with the 2.7 engine (steady diet of M1). It wasnt too many miles later that the water pump went out (its driven by the timing chain on this *** engine). I cant say if the Slick 50 helped contributed to this failure or not. There has been discussion that Slick 50 may tend to block smaller oil ports reducing oil flow. In any case I won't be using Slick 50 or any other snake oil again.

My humble .02 folks; seems the majority of posters (my hand is raised too) actually used Slick 50 in our 'earlier' days before we gained more knowledge. Granted the reports of the Slick 50/Dura Lube shed light on what lots of folks were hoping was a cure for pizz-poor to non existent PM on their cars.
rolleyes.gif
From my reading the boards, most people here take their PM seriously and would not really on a magical formula to take care of common sense PM.

Has anyone here actually had a catastrophic loss of oil out in BFE and had to drive any amount to 50+ miles to get help?
confused.gif

I used both products early on in one of my vehicles but have not in quite some years since I've faithfully kept to a +- 3k to 4k OCI. I used the stuff as a 'just-in-case' buffer but I never experienced any impact I can notice from adding it. My 1992, 1.8L DOHC engine just passed the 130k mile mark and no major problems to report other than a slight class II oil leak that I plan to fix with a Auto Rx flush & ensuring my bolts are snug.

How about a horror story involving both Slick 50 AND Fram filters. Namely, the Fram Double Gard with PTFE pre-added. I used this filter (pre-BITOG days) for one OCI on a 93 Accord with about 80K miles at the time. Car was otherwise well-maintained with 3-4K dino OCI's (mostly Castrol or Pennz 10-30).

At 100K the engine suddenly failed as I was pulling out of my driveway. Unheard of from this Honda engine. A tear-down was not done but a mechanic told me it appeared one or more oil passages was clogged.

By the way, I had a used engine put in the car, and my son still drives it back and forth to college (140K miles on the clock).

Live and learn, avoid PTFE at all costs.

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back