How long can spark plugs be stored before using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If spark plugs are brand new in box, how long (months? years?) can it be stored inside the home before installing it into a car? Thanks

Thanks, i've been using oil filters to fill up orders on AAP to use the coupon codes, now i've got too many filters, probably start using spark plugs to fill up to use the codes.

Longer than you'll keep the car they spec for.

How long csn you keep a knife in the drawer and dry will it stay sharp?

How soon do you need to sharpen a pencil than has yet to be used since sharpening?

Originally Posted By: wkcars
Thanks, i've been using oil filters to fill up orders on AAP to use the coupon codes, now i've got too many filters, probably start using spark plugs to fill up to use the codes.

What about engine air filter, cabin filter, wiper blades, serpentine belt, idler pulleys, brake pads and rotors, etc?
I would not stock up on one item, just because it's free or very cheap when there are lots of other items that you will need before spark plugs.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

What about engine air filter, cabin filter, wiper blades, serpentine belt, idler pulleys, brake pads and rotors, etc?
I would not stock up on one item, just because it's free or very cheap when there are lots of other items that you will need before spark plugs.

I stock up on those other items too, but they aren't changed out as much, and sometimes the price is too high to be used as filler. I figure i can throw in a spark plug here and there and have enough ready for the next time they are due for a change which should be about 2 years.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Longer than you'll keep the car they spec for.

How long csn you keep a knife in the drawer and dry will it stay sharp?

How soon do you need to sharpen a pencil than has yet to be used since sharpening?

Thanks, i wasn't sure if there were some internal parts inside the plugs that can go bad, something along the lines of cells in a car battery that can go bad.

1 week in the running engine = 100 years on a shelf in oiled paper. I would maybe see if anybody here is going to be changing plugs (or ?? maintenance) soon and make a trade or a sale deal. I never use stuff Ive squirreled away; I give the stuff away, THEN I need it a month later
smile.gif
frown.gif
Thinking about what I just typed, I have new plugs and wires for a 2010 ford ranger 2.3L DOHC. These are the good Denso twin tips. )

Last edited:
I have been using plugs as filler too. I happily discovered plugs for a 2000 buick century 3.1 also fit a 92 cutlass ciera 3300.
wink.gif

Windshield washer stuff at $2/gal also makes good filler. Also consider stuff like brake cleaner, though AA is getting expensive on that. IE it can be found 40% cheaper elsewhere.

There are guys who restore pre-WWII cars using new old stock spark plugs, or sandblasted old ones. It's important to them to have the original part number script on the ceramic. Their plugs work fine.

Originally Posted By: Trav
If kept dry you will find them floating as space debris long after the earth is gone.

lol.gif

If spark plugs are brand new in box, how long (months? years?) can it be stored inside the home before installing it into a car? Thanks

According to most manufacturers 1,243 months.

I would say indefinitely as long as they don't corrode from moisture. So maybe a ligh coat for WD-40 and they should sit on the shelf for a long, long time.

Absolutely do NOT spray WD40 on new plugs. Keep the insulator virgin and clean.

The plugs will be fine for 100 years - why not?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
I would say indefinitely as long as they don't corrode from moisture. So maybe a ligh coat for WD-40 and they should sit on the shelf for a long, long time.

Absolutely do NOT spray WD40 on new plugs. Keep the insulator virgin and clean.

The plugs will be fine for 100 years - why not?

I agree, the WD40 sitting for a long time could crate a fouled plug. Just clean dry storage is all you need.

There is a limit to how long you can store spark plugs and it depends on what vehicle you are storing them for, like these from 1913
might knock a hole in your piston if you try them in any car built in the last 50 years or so:
127843d1335828921-1913-metz-22-dscn1285.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back