Yamaha Grizzly 550 and 700 owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
If any of you have a grizzly 550 or 700, i'm just curious on what you run for oil and filter.

I recently bought a 550 efi earlier this year so i have not yet had to change the oil etc.

The previous owner ran Yamalube and an Oem filter.

I think i might just run T6 Rotella 5w40 in it with a Purolator filter like i do in my R1 and the Kodiak 450 that i already have.

Its either that or at the local Fleet Farm they do have ATV oil like Mystik etc but for the price i think the T6 is the way to go.

Thoughts etc?

I like T6 in my 01 Kingquad but it has wet clutches so it needs the SA motorcycle rating. Does a grizzly have a wet clutch or share engine oil with any transmission parts? If not, you probably have a lot of choice of which oil to run.

Yes, the Grizzly 700 and 550 have a wet ( centrifugal )clutch. I have a 2011 550 and use Rotella T6 with a OEM filter with no issues.

Rotella T6 is what you want.....its cheap and it works!

I ride a Grizzly 450 by the way, been using Retella for 2 years now.

Last edited:
awesome, well i changed the oil last week.

Running T6 with a purolator filter
smile.gif

so yeah thats what i'm running now both my grizzly and kodiak.

what are you guys all running for filters?

I'm running Purolator filters, i thought about using oem but after i took the oem filter off my 550 and cut it open i thought it was the biggest piece of garbage filter i've ever seen so i'm not paying 10 bucks for it.

If T6 can survive the abuse I put it through in my 400X it should be a cake walk in a utility quad. I thrash the whiz out of it with my left foot and right thumb and have been impressed.

The conventional 15w-40 rotella doesn't shear as fast as the 5w-40 so in summer I would use the conventional T 15w-40 and only move to the t-6 when cold starting was laboured in the fall to spring. Just my opinion. Fuel dilution is an issue on quads too because of the constant full throttle thumb. The conventional handles it better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back