ML320 oil specs and mechanic advice check

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm requesting information In regards to how Amsoil 5w-40 Euro formula compares to Mobil 1 0w-40.

I was told by the local Mercedes 'expert shop' here in Oregon that the Amsoil 5w-40 synthetic is superior to Mobil 1 0w-40 for my 2000 Mercedes ML 320.

I have always read that Mobil 1 is what most Mercedes owners used - so I started researching a bit online what the mechanic told me - and am not convinced the Amsoil is any better than Mobil 1. The mechanic cited boiling points and breakdown points - but im not sure that he wasnt just trying to support a product he might get a better deal on (Amsoil).

I noticed on the amsoil website it does have Mercedes certifications on the bottle:

Mercedes-Benz 229.3, 229.5

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/mo...-motor-oil-efm/

Additionally, I've read online that some Mobil 1 reformulation has occurred and that not all mobil 1 products are truly fully synthetic.

I have done some reading research online - and I'm still unsure on what is the best oil choice (protection wise) for my vehicle (2000 Mercedes ML320). There is so much misinformation and skewed marketing information out there - I was directed from the Mercedes forums here for advice.

Is the Amsoil European blend full synthetic 5w-40 just as good (or better as my mechanic says) than Mobil 1 0w-40 for my particular vehicle?

My owners manual doesnt specify which mercedes spec other than 229 -It just says "mercedes certified 0w-40". It is an old manual from 1999 though.

I've read many confusing opinions on multiple forums about 229.3, 229.5, 229.5x..... etc. being for diesel, gas engines and the numbers being interchanged for either engine type depending on who is commenting in a thread as an "expert". :-/

Thank you for any direction from those of you well versed in oil and Mercedes ML 320 W163 engine.

The climate here is generally rainy, 34 degrees F in winter to 85 degrees F summer. Most of my driving is short distances.

The truck has 115k miles on it and im just looking to make it last as long as possible. Thank you for advice.

2mri5q9.jpg

You can find the exact oil spec for your vehicle at the Mobil 1 site.

Any oil that Mercedes approves for that spec will be fine.

And M1 0w40 is probably the best choice out of those. No need to spend more on Amsoil. Plus the M1 has the highest viscosity index which suits your short trips better.

I buy whatever oil meets spec that is cheapest. So far for me that has meant the M1 0w40, but I've also managed to source PU Euro 5w40 just now cheaper than the M1.

Amsoil European Formula 5w-40 is a good oil but it isn't certified to meet MB 229.3 nor 229.5. Mobil 1 0w-40 is certified to meet MB 229.3 and newer 229.5, it is widely used in MB, BMW, Audi ... engines.

Since Mobil 1 0W40 is available at most auto parts chains and at Walmart, and Mobil 1 is usually on sale at around $30-32 for 5 quarts with Mobil 1 oil filter. I don't think you need to look for anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back