LOOK what MMO did to my pistons!!!!!!! and MORE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This, my friends, is the result of 170k miles and two 1 quart MMO PER 20 gal. TANK adds did to my pistons. Look at the deposits!!! Look at the accumulations!!!! Darn ..I can hardly read the "72" on the piston top. This thing hasn't been a daily commuter (long)since 1999.

Forgive me, for I knew not what I did.
grin.gif

-

[ June 07, 2005, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: Gary Allan ]

Too bad you didn't take a photo before your MMO experiment... it unlikely that 2 tanks of additized gasoline is going to do much you can see to pistons that have already seen 170k miles.

Oh yeah, and those pistons are filthy! I think you need to do a hydrofluoric acid soak, followed by a valve regrind and 5 quick OCIs with GC, unfiltered if you can
wink.gif

Well, bigpaulo, I've used, in old carbed engines, stuff like ATF and have gotten carbon caked pistons clean in no more than one or two applications. It would be the same with H20 ..except that it's a royal pain to do trying to keep the engine running while you pour the water in the throttle body. It's also a pain when you don't have a centralized vaccum port and a horizontal TB.

btw- the use of a borescope or taking off the heads to determine piston accumulations isn't a natural act.

But more importantly than stating that it cleaned ...this dispells any mythical delusions that it leaves anything behind even in massive doses (the first 1 quart application was accompanied with 2 quart of cheap ATF). The injectors are fairly evenly matched ..and therefore probably clean.

This is more along the line of scoffing at the chicken littles. I've violated (whenever possible) every "I would never do such a reckless thing" rule that you hear on here ..just to show what doesn't occur. Granted this is limited to my situation ..but I tend to look at that as more excuses to remain a chicken.
tongue.gif

Gary Allan, you're such a crazy guy! Experimenting like this! For shame!

Heh all y'all! If it wasn't for guys like Gary Allan doing such things and reporting their results, we'd all be poorer in knowledge here at BITOG... even if we aren't performing double-blind experiments with lab-calibrated instrumentation.

Gary Allan, I salute you and all the experimenters of BITOGia! Carry on!

Not a recomendation but a little knock and ping along with a strong cleaner or water can do wonders at knocking the carbon loose. A little timing advance, cleaner, and a long hill. Used a cars own windsheild washer pump and tank to feed the water on project years ago. Funny thing was you'd hit the right load/timing/rpm that the pinging would start, then hit and hold the washer pump button and the water inj would stop the ping.

I've got a bottle Techron fuel system cleaner in my beater right now, but it looks like I'll need to try some MMO too.

Trying out these cheapo, old timey 'snake oil' remedies is fun :^)

Thanks for the pic, Gary!

Those are awesome results. After reading your first post about running the MMO/ATF blend in your caravan I picked up a quart and dumped the whole thing in a '95 Honda Prelude VTEC with 98k miles along with a tank full of 93 chevron and noticed that a slight hard start problem (took 4 - 5 seconds to start) was reduced within the 1st 100 miles and is now completely gone. It may have cleaned up the rings as well as I'm no longer burning oil even though I make liberal use of the VTEC range of the engine. Usually use up 1qt over 3k miles using M1 10w-30. It's probably in my head but I'm pretty sure responsiveness has been improved as well. I should mention that I did add 16oz of MMO to the crankcase at one point when I was low on oil to do a quick flush for around 300 miles. Didn't notice any decrease in engine noise, etc.. but that may have a lot to do with the reduction in oil consumption.

When I was in HS I had an '86 Honda Rebel motorbike with an air cooled 250CC engine that I rode back and forth from school and work. I used MMO by a few capfuls per tank and never had any problems. I miss the cool metal can it used to come in. I have no idea how well MMO protected the engine with the way I romped on it but she was still running strong with 40k miles when I parked her in '91 and left for the USAF. Used Catrol GTX 20w-50 and 2k OCIs back then. Never had a spark plug foul or any carb problems with that bike either.

Again, thanks for the pic!

- Tom

Gary A - It seems from around here that you take very good care of your vehicles, and I wonder if the pistons were OK to begin with.
That said, after every winter, I put the leftover mixed 2 stroke fuel for the snowblower in the cars to get rid of it, and they always seem to run better.

quote:

Gary, please ease up on the sarcasm for us who are slow to come around.

What? And leave ribs unpoked?? No way!!
grin.gif
All in fun, pal
smile.gif

quote:

Did you like the result?

Yes, starting is virtually instantanious. No crank ..just a bump. Which is pretty good considering (and I'm not positive on this but I think) it's on it's 4 set of plugs since 1992 (includes OEM). These have been in quite some time. I believe that they are "pre-BITOG".

Water works fine too ..but this was just convenient. I still cannot figure out how to induce decent distributed flow other than the fuel tank/injectors. Even if I used a washer pump type system ..the cylinders nearest the TB would get the lion's share (or so I reason
dunno.gif
)

quote:

Trying out these cheapo, old timey 'snake oil' remedies is fun :^)

Absolutely!! The great thing is ..I've got nothing to lose ...so why not do a few "what if(s)"??
dunno.gif

quote:

Did it smoke while being treated?

Only when I did the double dose with the ATF and the MMO together. With MMO alone I detected no smoke.

quote:

Gary A - It seems from around here that you take very good care of your vehicles, and I wonder if the pistons were OK to begin with.

You have good cause to think that this is a possibility. All that I can say is that it has been the local grocery getter for a few years ..mostly short trips. We did recently use it extensively on long trips to watch my daughter play lacrosse ..and most everywhere she played was over 100 miles away. When it was first retired in 1999 to "second vehicle" the maintenance was "as needed". When it began consuming oil regularly ..it got changed. It is only since I've been on BITOG that it has had any real attention (Auto-Rx, additives, filter tests, etc.).

So surely the recent long mileage could have contributed to the clean status ..but I can only offer that I can detect when cylinder conditions are less then optimum when it doesn't start instantaniously ..and that condition returns after doing the treatment. I would have expected noteworthy deposits over this mileage ...or some anyway .. no matter how good the fuel management system was
dunno.gif

Again, this is surely not any "recommended" action to take. It appears, in my case anyway, that you don't suffer any ill effects in terms of ash or other residuals.

Tomorrow I'll image the heads. We'll see what they look like. The only reason that I don't have that image now is that the shop parked the "dead weight" outside and I just snaped the image of the engine. They were chowing lunch. I will pick up the heads tomorrow and take them to my buddy's place and see what's up with them.

Gary,nice stuff.
Grandpa knew his stuff better then most thought.

After reading some of your prior post mentioning your experiences with the stuff i've been also doing some MMO/ATF treatments on my VW and Toyota with awesome results.It cranks over right away,feels smooth throughout the range and has gotten me some fantastic fuel efficiency.

I tried the mix also on my brother-in-law's abused 95 Golf and he actually called in a few days me to tell me how smooth and more peppy the engine felt throughout the range.

Thanks for the tip.

quote:

Originally posted by bigpaulo:
Gary Allan, you're such a crazy guy! Experimenting like this! For shame!

Heh all y'all! If it wasn't for guys like Gary Allan doing such things and reporting their results, we'd all be poorer in knowledge here at BITOG... even if we aren't performing double-blind experiments with lab-calibrated instrumentation.

Gary Allan, I salute you and all the experimenters of BITOGia! Carry on!

I see your point but I don't think using MMO for combustion chamber cleaning purposes is "experimental" or radical.It's been used this way for well over 80 years now.Nothing new under the sun as they say as many old timers say.

Maybe here on BITOG where some products like FP are more touted and MMO seems "lame" but it seems like MMO offers more bang for the buck in reality.
Sure is cheaper and more avalible!

quote:

Maybe here on BITOG where some products like FP are more touted and MMO seems "lame" but it seems like MMO offers more bang for the buck in reality.
Sure is cheaper and more avalible!

Well, I haven't used FP ..so I can't comment on comparisons between the two. FP surely has some properties that MMO doesn't. It's also hard to compare costs. 3oz of FP ..6oz of MMO (isn't that the recommended fuel dose?)..so they come out probably the same cost wise. FP is probably, when used as directed, more emissions friendly. I don't know how good MMO is as a fuel injection cleaner (in my concentrations ..it appears effective) ...only as a combustion chamber cleaner.
dunno.gif

I'll be up for emissions testing in a few months (I think) and I will repeat this in a tankful of fuel close to the testing. Since it's OBDI, I still have to pass the dyno sniffer test. I've always passed with flying colors except for NOX ..which requires that the timing be retarded (no EGR). This is the original cat.

Gary,

A picture is worth a thousand words!
worshippy.gif

I have used MMO in Classics as well as modern cars and bikes. You can't beat it for an easy and cheap way to maintain and improve your vehicles performance; It's effective!
burnout.gif

In my past posts on MMO treatments for my Buick and BMW, it has cleaned the head and combustion chambers. I hope it has cleaned up the ring packs, in the Buick, more so, to reduce oil use. I will let you know what happens as the car is driven more.
cheers.gif

Maybe the management can get Marvel Mystery Oil, to be a sponser on this site and get us "deals', on it?
dunno.gif

Now I can come out of my shell..I use MMO 8 ozs per fill up fairly regular in all my motors...never though I was hurting anything but on the same hand I wasen't really sure that I was helping either..all the motors start easily and run well..thanks Gary...I mean really thanks a million

Gary, you are the mad scientist.
 -

But how did you get a view of the pistons when you were just getting a water pump on that van? (And do you realize Dr. Jekyll's potion started with a blood red solution, and then some white crystal salts added?

quote:

But how did you get a view of the pistons when you were just getting a water pump on that van?

Well, here's the story (abridged). I had a coolant leak that required the intake to come off. That merely showed that the cheap fix was not the main cause ..but the piping was oxidized to the point that it would be unwise not to replace them (odd Mistubishi designs in plumbing) ..this meant that the front of the engine had to be dismantled for the water pump ..and "while you're there" you do the timing belt. Now while we're standing there pondering all this fine cascading repair (cash register "ching-ching" racking up as I think) ..we note that there is signs of weepage between the rear head and the block. I was going to live with it due to the additional cascading feature that would be included with taking the heads off...more "while you're there" type "ching-ching". When I told this to my buddy (I play "Mr. Hold-It" for him often) he offered to do the heads for next to nothing. I then told the other wrench to yank them.

quote:

Now I can come out of my shell..I use MMO 8 ozs per fill up fairly regular in all my motors..

Yes, SKUNKY, I hope more MMO users have the courage to come out of the closet.
grin.gif

My name is Gary Allan ..and I'm a MMO user.
shocked.gif

quote:

Gary, you are the mad scientist

No, I'm an automotive anarchist. This is extreme, full contact, additive use.
grin.gif
(Just look at it as a combo Myth Busters and Jackazz for the automotively addicted
wink.gif
)

Excuse me for being a newbie and very slow, but what the heck is MMO? ( Marvel mystery oil ) And you put it in your gas tank???????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back