To drain and fill or not on 2001 Impala

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2001 Impala that is about to become my wife and I's only car. It has 121,000 miles and the ATF hasn't been changed since my wife purchased it at around 40,000. It seems to shift okay still and I haven't ever messed with because new transmissions are expensive and there are people out there that say to not change ATF unless you do it from new. So I'm curious as to what you all would say. If I do drain and refill and change the filter it will liley be at around 130,000 because of the cold weather currently.

Originally Posted By: dsmith41
I have a 2001 Impala that is about to become my wife

Congratulations.

You must love it very much.

Most horror stories I have heard involve doing a complete flush at high mileage. I rarely hear of issues with a simple filter change and drain and fill as long as proper fluid is used. Honestly, I think that most of the transmissions that fail from the flushes were probably on their way out in the first place. Lots of people don't even consider servicing their transmission until there is some sort of shifting issue at which point it is probably too late. I don't think you will hurt anything changing the filter and fluid. You may even check and see if an aftermarket pan is available with a built in drain plug. I bought a Dorman one for my van that I will be putting on once the weather warms up a bit. That will make future drain and fills a little easier.

Originally Posted By: dsmith41
I have a 2001 Impala that is about to become my wife

Depending on how long you've been married, a 2001 Impala may be more interesting than your wife.
lol.gif

I wouldn't hesitate to do a pan drop with new filter and refill.

Agree with the post that it's a flush at higher mileage that's bad.

i believe Dorman does make a 4T65 pan with a drainplug...

anyways, do a pan drop/filter change, give it some dex VI fluid(expect 6-8 quarts), disconnect the PCM from power for a little while(to clear the learned adaptation settings), and go out and drive it for a while... 30 minutes or so, enough to get the trans hot and to get some of the quick-learn process done. otherwise, the old learn settings can wreak havoc on the trans before the PCM allows for adaptation to the new fluid.

No! Do not change the ATF, don't fool with a good thing, it's been my experience, that when these cars are subjected to an ATF change, that's when you start to see slipping. I have worked on a buy here/pay here lot, and I can tell you, when it comes to the sealed GM transmissions, it's better to leave well enough alone. You can, of course go through the tedious routine of checking the fluid level, and topping it off, but trust me, don't worry about changing it.

the 4T65 is not a sealed unit... the 4T40/45 is.

either way, the "fill for life of the unit" mentality is the reason why they don't actually last the life of the rest of the vehicle anyways.

i did the first drop/drain at ~150K miles and at 204K currently with 0 issues.

the rules changed over the years todays transmissions are computer controlled and by programming them you can make them do almost everything.

A properly performed passive exchange is unlikely to hurt anything.

It is no substitute for a pan drop and filter change, but those are more important when the trans is young as that's when most debris is usually generated.

I would D&R (not power flush) that 4T65E asap.
I would not use (thinner) Dex VI in an older, higher mileage GM even though they say it's OK to do it.
I would use a 'suitable for Dex III' type fluid like Castrol's or even WM ST and add a bottle of LG red.

Quote:
Most horror stories I have heard involve doing a complete flush at high mileage. I rarely hear of issues with a simple filter change and drain and fill as long as proper fluid is used. Honestly, I think that most of the transmissions that fail from the flushes were probably on their way out in the first place.

I agree. A marginal tranny is going to fail anyway, no matter what fluid you use.

Do a drain and refill now with a filter change and recommend you use DexronVI; better oxidaton resistance, consistent friction characteristics over time (retention).

My daughter lives about an hour west of you and I recently changed her TrailBlazers tranny's fluid with DexVI which had not been changed in 148,000+ miles. It shifts just fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: driver123
No! Do not change the ATF, don't fool with a good thing, it's been my experience, that when these cars are subjected to an ATF change, that's when you start to see slipping. I have worked on a buy here/pay here lot, and I can tell you, when it comes to the sealed GM transmissions, it's better to leave well enough alone. You can, of course go through the tedious routine of checking the fluid level, and topping it off, but trust me, don't worry about changing it.
*Sigh*...I can't wait for this old wive's tale to finally die.
Originally Posted By: RobertISaar
the "fill for life of the unit" mentality is the reason why they don't actually last the life of the rest of the vehicle anyways.
Exactly.
Originally Posted By: fisher83
most of the transmissions that fail from the flushes were probably on their way out in the first place. Lots of people don't even consider servicing their transmission until there is some sort of shifting issue at which point it is probably too late.
Exactly.
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
A marginal tranny is going to fail anyway, no matter what fluid you use.
From the Master.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back